Anyone who shares useful, relevant
Where do you want to be in 3-5yrs?
• Who do you want to be?
• “Dress for the role you want”.
• Observe and learn from their behavior. Use
the tools they use.
• Network and collaborate with them.
• Find the value you can add to them.
Learn to listen. Listen to learn.
“I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from
listening carefully. Most people never listen.”
The power of social media
• You’re hired (in part) for
• Your digital reputation
– has never been more
– has never been more in
• 94% of recruiters rely on social recruiting
• Use LinkedIn 93% of the time to search, contact,
and keep tabs oncandidates
• 65% use Facebook and 47% use Twitter to
promote company culture
• 18% use Twitter and 25% use Facebook to vet
candidates after the interview process
Source: Jobvitesurvey, 2013
Google yourself (log out first)
Assess the results
Improve the results
Assess your digital reputation
Managing your digital reputation
Add more good stuff
• Create great content
• Establish new profiles (selectively)
• Organize your online presence
Improve existing stuff
• Update social profiles
• Optimize social profiles
– Google +
• Lock-down settings
Fix the bad stuff
• Delete what we control
• Influence what we
• Add good stuff
• Learn from it, smile and
Improve your LinkedIn profile
• Add a good photo
• Fix your headline
• Build out your network
– Always personalize invitations to
• Fine-tune your summary and current
– What do you want to be known for?
– Keyword optimize
– Show some passion
• Turn off unwelcome emails
Social media guidelines
“Assume” makes an ass out of you and me helps
save your ass.
Assume your colleagues are following you
Assume you’ll be quoted in the media
Assume you’re talking about a client
Don’t do anything stupid
• Social media offers a differential advantage in
• Download these slides: slideshare.net/BrendanDodds
• Get in touch
• Please give feedback
• Find out more about Marketing EDGE:
– Facebook: marketingEDGEorg
– Twitter: @mktgEDGEorg
– LinkedIn group: Marketing EDGE