Hospitality Programmes /Spousal Programmes
or Special Events; Design of Hospitality
Hospitality Programmes /Spousal Programmes or Special Events
• In earlier days the attendees of conference use the conference as an excuse
to get away from the family.
• Now they use conference as an excuse to take a mini vacation with their
• The host facility that has services and amenities in a place to service the
guest of the attendees in one step ahead of competitors.
• The programs for the guest(s) of conference participants are commonly
labelled hospitality programs or spousal programs.
• It is designed to entertain guests of the conference attendees.
• These programs ranges from having a very extensive itinerary that keeps
participants continuously busy with entire time, to a program that just
provide suggestions for individual activities.
• The host property that provides helps to meeting planner in developing the
hospitality program will insure increased profit for themselves.
• Hospitality programs increase the attendance at conferences.
• This increase revenue for host property- guest will eat in restaurants, shops
• Hospitality programs have come along way from standard fashion shows,
shopping spree or ladies luncheons designed for housewives accompany
• Today’s hospitality programs are more likely to be male than ever before
and/or a professionals themselves.
• Therefore, their wants and desires are different from those of past
• The addition of children as hospitality program participants is also another
that must be addressed when planning the hospitality programs.
• Although the meeting planners and associations committees are
ultimately responsible for planning the hospitality programs, the host
property should play an integral part in the planning.
Design of Hospitality Programmes
• History must be carefully reviewed before plans are made.
• Previous year programs must be analyzed in order toil ascertain the groups likes
• It is not a good idea to repeat the entire program, but some of the successful can
be used in conjunction with new programs.
• The meeting planners should survey in advance to determine the interest of the
group in following areas:
2. Sports they enjoy
3. Ages of participants
4. Gender of participants.
• A list of the local sites and attractions as well as services also be
• Upon reviewing the sites ,attractions and host property services ,the
participants should be surveyed to determine weather or not there is
interest in any suggested activities.
• Once this information is compiled, the meeting planner in
collaboration with the host property can plan a program that is tailor-
made for the participants.
• Then the host property ensure that the property is properly staffed
for all the activities.
• When designing a program the meeting planners may make use of
destination management companies as they provide onsite
coordination and if any special events necessary for meeting planner,
local contacts, provide excellent into unique qualities of area, are also
work in liaison for developing hospitality programs.
• Tour companies may also provide services for meeting planners or
• The actual design of the program from will vary from group to group
and within the groups their programmes vary from year to year
Planned Social Activities for Hospitality Program
• Guest Speakers
• Shopping Trips
• Cooking lesion
• Craft Activities
• These activities are chosen based on the interest of group as well as
the budget for the hospitality program.
• These programs may finance by registration fees and by corporate
sponsorship or the participants may the cost.
• The care and feeding of the hospitality participants is another area of
concentration with the hospitality program.
• Another area that hospitality programs should address is children’s
• Children’s program are designed to entertain the young guests of the
program attendees during the critical times if agenda
• These programmes can be elaborate as providing all-day activities ,in
the form day camps as well as supervision during the evening
functions or they can be or a simple trip to zoo.
• Programs can be fashioned to include both parents and children, or
they can be designed to entertain the children while their parents
attend other social functions.
• Once the program is developed, it very important that the itinerary be
marketed properly to assure adequate participation.
• This usually entitles at least two mailing of the itinerary and various
brochures describing the events to a potential program participants.
• This broachers should have a detailed description about their
• Marketing of the hospitality programs should be continue on-site once
the guest arrives
• This can be accomplished through posters in the lobby, broachers and
itineraries being placed in the registration packets ,and fliers
strategically placed throughout the host property
• If the host property have a television information system showing the
conference agenda, the hospitality program itinerary should be
included on the daily calendar.
• Serving the hospitality programs requires careful attention.
• You want the participants to feel comfortable, well cared for and
anxious to return.
• The primary goal of any hospitality programs is to ensure the well being