Definition of advertising
• Any paid form of non personal presentation and promotion of
ideas, goods and services through mass media such as
news paper, magazines, television or radio by an identified
• Advertising is mass, paid for communication which is used to
transmit information, develop attitudes and include some
form of response from the audience
Characteristics of advertising
• Non personal form of communication aimed at a target
• Used by commercial and by not for profit organization.
• Advertising is paid for.
• Most advertising is concerned ultimately with selling.
• It is the major element in the promotional mix.
Developing and managing an
The five critical decisions, known as the five
Mission: What are the advertising objectives?
Money: How much can be spent?
Message: What message should be sent?
Media: What media should be used?
Measurement: How should the results be
• An advertising objective is a specific
communication task to be achieved with a specific
target audience during a specific period of time.
• Like all objectives they should be SMART.
• Advertising objectives at different stages in
Hierarchy of Effects
Deciding on the Advertising Budget
Five factors to consider when setting the advertising
Stage in the product life cycle
Market share and consumer base
Competition and clutter
involves four step
Developing Media strategies are
Reach, Frequency and Impact.
Choosing among major media types.
Selecting specific media vehicles.
Deciding on media timing.
Deciding on geographical media allocation.
Evaluating Advertisement Effectiveness
• Communication-Effect Research.
• Copy Testing.
• Consumer Feedback Method.
• Sales Effect Research.
Share of mind