Europe Final Test Study Guide
1. What country within Rome is the smallest country in the world? ___________________________
2. The Nordic Countries are also known as _________________________________.
3. A steep-sided valley that is an inlet of the sea is a ___________________________.
4. The two main industries in Greece are shipping and ______________________________.
5. What kind of government does the United Kingdom have? _________________
6. A local form of a language is known as a ______________________________.
7. What is the capital of Germany? ___________________________
8. He was the leader of Germany during World War II _______________________________.
9. Which set of mountains separates France from Spain? _________________________
10. What mountain range runs through Italy, Germany, France, Switzerland, and Austria? ______
11. Who do most Irish people trace their ancestry to? ________________________
12. When there is a king or queen, but they share the power with elected officials.
13. What is Poland’s capital city? _____________________________
14. The oldest deepest fresh body of water (lake) is ___________________________.
15. What is the capital of United Kingdom? ______________________
16. The _________________ River is the longest river in Europe and a major transportation route
17. What is the capital of Russia? _______________________
18. Who is the Head of State of the United Kingdom? ____________________________
19. Which country is known for practicing neutrality? ____________________________
20. A high place from which rivers flow in all directions is called am
21. What is the name of the Peninsula that Greece lies on? ____________________
22. What is the capital of Sweden? _____________________
23. The ___________ divide Asia and Europe.
24. A large plain in the Arctic with no trees is the ________________________. (Page 406)
25. A huge mass of ice slowly flowing over a landmass. _______________________
26. How does Iceland heat its homes? (Page 357) _______________________________________
27. Name the 4 regions of the United Kingdom?
28. The German superhighway that was the model for the American highway system is the
29. What is the capital of Greece? _______________________
30. A country that has high taxes to pay for services for their people is known as a
31. What island country was created by earthquakes on a convergent boundary?
32. What is the capital of France? _______________________
33. What is Italy’s longest river? ______________________________________
34. What is the capital of Italy? _________________________
35. What is the capital of Ireland? ______________________________
36. Name the 5 Nordic Countries (Scandinavian).
37. Who is known as the head of the Roman Catholic Church.
38. Why was there an East Germany and West Germany? ____________________________
39. Which three countries make up the Iberian Peninsula?
40. English and _____________________ are the two main languages of Ireland.
41. In 1939 _______________________ invaded Poland to start World War II.
42. This is the phrase that describes the percentage of people in a country that can read and write.
43. When only one person has control of all of the country’s power, they are known as
44. A terrible time in History when more than 6 million European Jews were murdered was known
as the ____________________________.
45. A program in which many western European countries cooperate with one another in terms of
46. A tunnel built underneath the English Channel that connects England and France is known as
47. Why have London, Hamburg, and Paris been able to develop as major commercial centers? (A
commercial center is an area with a lot of trade and industry.)
48. What physical features have had the most significant impact on Switzerland’s settlement