How do we make the TensesPresent Continuous Present Simple
Why are you working today, Stew.People don’t usually work on Sundays. I know that Tom but I’m flying to Africa next week, so I want to get more money.
1. for permanent situations John works in a bank. They love coffee.They have two children. I dont like swimming.
2. for habits and routines with the adverbs: always, often, usually, sometimes, never I often play hockey . They usually watch TV in the evening.I sometimes go to work by car.I never do morning exercises. And you?
3. with the adverbs: every day, once a week,every year, four times a month, at the weekend She goes swimming at the weekends. Sam takes a shower every day. I blow out candles once a year.
4. for facts and things that are generally true. It snows in winter. Water boils at 100 C.Plants die without water.
5. for programs and timetables Our lessons start at 9 o’clock.The football match starts at 8 p.m. The train leaves at 7.30.
1. for permanent situations2. for habits and routines with the adverbs: always, often, usually, sometimes, never3. with the adverbs: every day, once a week,every year, four times a month, at the weekend4. for facts and things that are generally true.5. for programs and timetables
Give the correct form of the Present Simple of the verb in brackets 1.My Dad …………in Saudi Arabia. (work)1.My Dad works in Saudi Arabia.2. The Bible …….love of money is theroot of evil. (say)2. The Bible says love of money is the root of evil.3. She never ……up very early. (get)3. She never gets up very early.4. The concert ………at 6 this evening. (begin)4. The concert begins at 6 this evening.5. He …….to Moscow once a week. (drive)5. He drives to Moscow once a week.
Give the correct form of the Present Simple of the verb in brackets6. In the film he ...the central character of David Copperfield. (play)6. In the film he plays the central character of David Copperfield.7. She …a very good sister. (is) We ……her. (love)7. She is a very good sister. We love her.8. The children ……….a lot of ice-cream. (eat)8. The children eat a lot of ice-cream.9. Babies normally ……..weight in the beginning. (lose)9. Babies normally lose weight in the beginning.10. It seldom ……here. (rain)10. It seldom rains here.
E And you? Answer the questions about your day.1. What time do you usually wake up?2. What do you normally have for breakfast?3. Do you usually have lunch at home?4. What do you do after school?5. What do you usually do in the evenings?
1: for things that are happening at the moment of speaking. I’m working at the moment.Please call back – we are eating dinner. Julie is sleeping.
2. for temporary situations, when we feel something wont continue for a long time. She’s staying with her friend these days.I’m reading a reallygreat book. John’s working in a bar until he finds a job in his field.
3. with always and constantly to show our annoyance, anger and criticismHe is always losing his keys! You are always telling the lies. He is constantly using my computer when I need it!. They’re always being late.
4. for definite future arrangements (with a future time word).We have already made a plan and we are sure that the event willhappen in the future. He is flying to Jamaica tomorrow. We’re going to the beach at the weekend. They’re coming to the party in three days.
1: for things that are happening at the moment ofspeaking.2. for temporary situations, when we feelsomething wont continue for a long time.3. with always and constantly to show ourannoyance, anger and criticism4. for definite future arrangements (with a futuretime word). We have already made a plan and we are sure that theevent will happen in the future.
Choose Present Simple or Present ContinuousYou (come) ________ tonight. You are coming tonight.(He / eat) _______ rice every day? Does he eat rice every day?I (work) _______ at the moment. I am working at the moment.They (not / come) __ to the party They aren’t coming to the partytomorrow. tomorrow. She doesn’t go to the cinema veryShe (not / go) _____ to the cinema often.very often. He normally eats dinner at home.He normally (eat) ____ dinner at home. You don’t like chocolate.You (not / like) _______ chocolate.I (clean)_____ the kitchen every day. I clean the kitchen every day.