Smot- Business School
7&8, 2nd cross street,
(near taramani railway station)
DETTOL- BE 100% SURE
Dettol completes 75 years of protecting families
from illness causing germs
• Reckitt Benckiser (India) Limited, formerly known as
Reckitt & Colman (India) Ltd is one of the
• fastest growing consumer goods companies in South
Asia. In India, it has many brands namely -
• Dettol, Harpic, Mortein, Lizol, Cherry
Blossom, Vanish, Easy Off Bang, Veet, Colin, Disprin,
• Strepsils, Clearasil and others. It has major presence in
home and personal care, surface care,
• fabric care, pest control and healthcare. The Company
has operations in 60 countries, sales in 180
• and employs 22,000 people around the world. Globally
Reckitt Benckiser plc is headquartered in
Dettol, the iconic brand from Reckitt Benckiser.
Dettol is Rs 300 crore brand of Reckitt and Benckiser formerly .
It is launched in 1933 in india , Dettol has gained the trust of millions of
It has been consistently voted as one of the 'Most trusted brands' of
Dettol completes 75 years of protecting families from illness causing
The brand has celebrated platinum jubilee in 2008
PRODUCTS UNDER BRAND
APPROVEED BY INDIAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
• Antiseptic Liquid : Dettol Antiseptic Liquid is a proven safe and
effective antiseptic that kills various bacteria and provides
protection against germs which can cause infection and
illness. It has more than 83% market share.
• It can be used safely for gentle antiseptic wound cleansing
• Available in a wide range of sizes From 50 ml to 500 ml. For
detailed usage instructions see back label of product.
• The brand is currently running a campaign highlighting the
efficiency and the multi-uses of the product.
USES OF DETTOL
• Antiseptic Liquid
• Dettol Antiseptic Liquid is a product, which has many
uses for protecting your family from germs:
• Use with mopping water to disinfect floors completely
• Use in washing laundry to disinfect your clothes
• For first aid and personal care uses, Dettol Antiseptic
Liquid must always be used diluted with water.
• Available in a wide range of sizes from 50ml to 5 litre.
For detailed usage instructions see back label of
GROWTH OF DETTOL BRAND
Dettol had to expand the usage beyond cuts and bruises.
Hence Reckitt and Coleman unleashed a campaign aiming to expand
the usage of the brand to an all purpose antiseptic that can be used
for shaving,rinsing, and as a general disinfectant.
Interestingly this multi-usage of Dettol Antiseptic Liquid paved the way for the
next generation of Dettol.
Since the antiseptic lotion market was stagnant Reckitt wanted to
leverage the brand to other categories . Dettol saw over these years
plenty of brand extentions. The first launch was the soap in 1990's.
The initial launch was unsuccessful because the brand moved from
core value of protection to love and care.
COMPETITOR FOR DETTOL
From its launch to 1980's the brand had a dream run with virtually no
competitors. Having no competition is a problem, the growth will be stagnant.
Later on savlon introduced antiseptic liquid , which didn’t succeed like dettol
• Dettol have always been • Savlon introduced as first
positioned as a 100% germ aid solution.
fighter with germ fighting • t is commonly used for
and protection as the core treatment of mild scarring,
value. some mild burns, cuts and
bruises as well as skin
healing treatment for spots
Starting then and till now Dettol advertising has
celebrated the role of a mother in
protecting her family. Because 'If she doesn't take care
of them who will?'
DETTOL SURAKSHIT PARIVAR
Dettol has launched Dettol Surakshit Parivar, a nationwide
campaign, in association with the Indian Medical Association (IMA).
The objective of this campaign is to generate awareness that good
hygiene practices are essential to reduce the risk of infections,
particularly for those who are most vulnerable to illness such as
infants and children.
The Programme is being undertaken at three different levels - New
Mother Programme, School Handwash Programme and Hospital
Programme. Spread across Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai,
Bangalore and Hyderabad, it targets new Mother's, school children
and the general public.
New Mother Programme not missed a single day at school are given
quot;Dettol 100% Attendance Awardquot; to further encourage them to follow good
• First to enter the market .
• Product diversification
• Customer loyalty
• Continious innovation
• Over the years of the original Dettol Antiseptic Liquid, even as
Dettol’s product bouquet has grown, the trusted protection
has remained the same. With its distinct smell, color and
sting, it evokes an emotional bond in millions of hearts – it’s
Dettol, it’s working!
• Dettol advertising starting in 1960s has centered on educating
consumers on the need for protection from germs, while
offering solutions to manage the problem of germs wherever
and whenever they may occur.