: VEHICULAR AD HOC NETWORKS
Unit 1: Introduction to Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks (VANETs)
Traffic Monitoring, Causes of congestion, Traffic Monitoring Data, Common Applications
of Traffic Data, Commonly used sensor technology, Detection methods,
Unit 2: Models for Traffic flow and Vehicle Motion
Models for Longitudinal Vehicle Movement, Lane changes situations, Simulating Vehicle-toVehicle
and Infrastructure-to-Vehicle Communication
Unit 3: Networking Issues
Routing in MANET, Applicability of MANET Routing to Vehicular Environment, Routing
protocols for VANET.
Unit 4: Delay-Tolerant Networks in VANETs
Deterministic/Stochastic Delay-Tolerant Routing, Vehicle Traffic Model, Vehicle-
Roadside Data Access, Data Dissemination in VANETs
Unit 5: Localization in Vehicular Ad-Hoc Networks
Localization-Aware VANET applications, Localization Techniques for VANETs, Data Fusion
in VANET Localization Systems
1. Stephan Olariu, Michele C. Weigle, “Vehicular Networks from Theory to Practice”,
2. Hassnaa Moustafa and Yan Zhang, “Vehicular Networks: Techniques, Standards and
Applications,” Auerbach Publications, 2009.
3. Selected Papers about Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks (VANETs).
1. C. Siva Ram Murthy and B.S. Manoj, “Ad Hoc Wireless Networks: Architectures and
Protocols,” Prentice Hall, 2004.
2. William Stallings, “Wireless Communications and Networks,” Prentice Hall, 2004.