AN ECOFRIENDLY THOUGHT
II YEAR B.TECH CIVIL
• Sustainability is not only a word, it must be an
attitude of the civil engineer.
• To achieve the sustainability self cleaning
concrete paves the way for the modern civil
• Self cleaning or depolluting photo catalytic
concrete,by the name itself it shows its
• The name that it looks like futuristic ideas and
some of us may think that it is impossible.
• But it is practical now,many foreign countries are
stick to the concrete for its unbelievable beneficial
Need for the self cleaning concrete
• Now a days other than any thing pollution plays
main role in the mass destruction of environment.
• Mainly air pollution
• so as a civil engineer we need to make the
• self cleaning concrete with its massive reaction it
makes the pollutant to be inactive.
Luigi cassar (the innovative inventor)
•Luigi cassar(italian chemist) invented the self cleaning
• european inventor award at 2013.
•He invented this fabulous concrete in italicementi .
Nitrogen oxide(the foreign intruder)
• Nitrogen oxide NOx is the air pollutant which presents in the
atmosphere more amount due to smog,smoke ,vehicle
Composition of dry air in the
Carbon di oxide
Effects of NOx
• NOx mainly impacts on respiratory conditions.
• causing inflammation.
• Long term exposure can decrease lung function
• And it causes the building to deteriorate also.
• causes lakes and streams to become acidic.
Why titanium dioxide(Tio2)?
•Titanium dioxide is the only component which makes the
building effectively non polluted.
•Tio2 through its process of oxidizing the N0x into NO and
NO2 in powdered form it makes the building depolluted.
The mix design
• similar to m20 grade concrete.
• Addition of 3.5% to 4% of Tio2 to the 96.5%
• without any other chemical admixtures
How it works?
• Firstly, a self cleaning effect due to oxidation
promoted by sunlight.
• Secondly,photo induced hydrophilicity makes it looks.
• Since the pollutant is organic it causing dirt over the
• It is easily removed by rain fall or manual rinsing.
Procedure to be followed
• Light and heat are the main source
• Make sure these hits the concrete
• Automatically the reaction takes place
• Then the gaseous particle break down into dust
• Rinse it with water to make it clean.
Process of self cleaning
• This self cleaning process can be done by oxidizing the NOx gases
into powdered or dust like particle by using the UV rays from the
sun as resource by titanium dioxide (Tio2).
The operation of self cleaning concrete
• Once the sunlight is falls on the building the UV
rays of certain range will allowed to fall on the
• Photocatalytic process Tio2+Nox+sunlight.
• the hazardous gas becomes powdery particle & stays over the
building like a dust.
After the process
• Water plays main role as a source of rain fall or manual
• so clean the concrete with the water
• Or otherwise it was self cleaned by rainfall and makes
the building non polluted.
Water droplets rinsing the NOx dust.
Tunnels and pavements
• Tunnels are most denser atmosphere
• Due to this larger air pollution occurs by vehicles
• UV lamps are used here as source
• As well as pavements also provided by self cleaning
Some of the tunnels and pavements
A Pavement in france followed by self
A Tunnel in belgium having UV
lamps and followed by self cleaning
Buildings in the concept of self cleaning concrete
The Jubilee Church, formally known as
Chiesa di Dio PadreMisericordioso,rome.
Hotel de policia, Police station in
Merits of self cleaning concrete
• Reduces NOx content in atmosphere
• Keeps the concrete young
• Depollute other pollutants
• Eco friendly
• Reduces depletion of ozone layer
• Reduces corrosion and patch formation
in the concrete
• photocatalytic concrete materials have been used in
horizontal and vertical applications
• Inventors are the one who invents and engineers are
the one who makes it comfortable to the environment
• Using the articles like self cleaning concrete it is possible.
• It is preferable to use self cleaning concrete as an
The god creates the world the engineer build the