Chhurim (29 years old as of February
25, 2013) is a Nepali mountaineer and
the first woman to climb Mount Everest
twice in the same season, a feat which
was verified by the Guinness Book of
World Records in 2013. She
accomplished this feat in 2012, climbing
Everest on May 12 and May 19 of that
year. She stated, "Climbing Everest turns
out to be very tough for women like me
because there are no toilets. Five of us
had to share a tent.
• Chhurim is a Sherpa from Taplejung in
east Nepal. Like most Sherpa she uses
one name, rather than a first and last
Tenzing Norgay OSN GM (late May
1914 – 9 May 1986) born Namgyal
Wangdi and often referred to as
Sherpa Tenzing, was a Nepalese
Indian Sherpa mountaineer.
Among the most famous
mountain climbers in history, he
was one of the first two
individuals known to have reached
the summit of Mount Everest,
which he accomplished with
Edmund Hillary on 29 May 1953.
He was named by Time as one of
the 100 most influential people of
the 20th century.
• Major H. P. S. Ahluwalia is an Indian mountaineer. He climbed the
Mount Everest on 29 May 1965 along with his friends Rawat and
Phu Dorji. In the Indo-Pakistan War of 1965, he was injured and
confined to a wheelchair. He set up Indian Spinal Injury Society in
• He was awarded the Padma Bhushan award in 2002.
• Major Ahluwalia is also the chairman of the Rehabilitation Council
of India and is a recipient of several awards like Padma Sri, Arjuna
award, the National Award for the best work done in the field of
Disability, the Order of the Khalsa (Nissan A Khalsa).
• He has written several books like Higher than Everest, Beyond the
Himalayas, Everest is within you.
• He won the Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award for lifetime
achievement on August 29, 2009.