Ways to connect!
• The Goal of Catechesis
• What is a millennial?
• 5 Ways to Connect
• Name a person who is a millennial in your life? Ages
• Name one good quality about them
• Name one skill they have that you wish you had
• Encounter with Christ
• Joining Jesus in healing, compassion, care…
• The visual presence of religious women in hospitals
• The environment created added to Kerygma
• The mission was palpable
Definition and Framework
Information * Formation* Transformation
• 75 Million Millennials in the US
• 23 Million Catholic Millennials
• Largest age group (boomer- 74 million)
• 50% of Millennials are Latinos
Who are millennials?
• Not one size fits all
• Do not trust institutions
• Self aware (narcissistic)
• Born with technology
• A world of possibilities
ages 0-18 Children of Millennials
Millennials and Generation C and Faith
• Distrust institutions
• Absence of tech makes them disengage
• They are not at the center
• How many church selfies do you see?
• They value prayer, Scripture, ritual, the Sacred
Spiritual vs. Religious
Key question: Are they encountering God?
Be yourself Be a poser
Speak the truth about their actions Be judgmental of people
Preach the gospel always Use words...except when necessary
Engage with people to win hearts for Christ Argue just to win arguments
Start with the relationships already in your life
Forget that effective evangelization starts with
Affirmatively share what you've found to be right Focus on how everyone else is wrong
Admit when you're wrong Pretend you're always right
Self-edit and remember who's "in the room.”
Just say whatever you feel whenever you feel like
Spend more time learning your faith than
preaching about it
Talk more than you listen
Let a joyful smile shine through your online
Forget that your joy is one of the most powerful
tools you have
Matthew Warner, Founder Flocknote
The Prayer of the Woman at the Well
Lord of living water, pour your mercy on us.
Wash us clean and make us true disciples. Help us
move from the paths of selfishness and stubbornness,to
the channels of hope and peace.
Enable us to place our whole trust in your love.
Help me to understand the hunger and thirst we have
Open our hearts to receive the waters of life
Fill our empty vessels with your wisdom, O God,
that I may learn how to truly live again.