1 O give thanks unto the LORD; call upon hisname: make known his deeds among thepeople.2Sing unto him, sing psalms unto him: talk yeof all his wondrous works.3Glory ye in his holy name: let the heart ofthem rejoice that seek the LORD.4Seek the LORD, and his strength: seek his faceevermore.
I. Introduction• Where does God fit in your life? Is He first and foremost in your thinking, or is He an afterthought?• Many people pursue wealth, popularity, security, or whatever else they think can bring them peace.• They forget not only that God will provide all they need, but also that He does so more abundantly than they could imagine.
II. As Christians, we are meant tocontinually seek the Lord and His will forour lives.• If we seek Him, it shows that we desire a deeper, more intimate relationship with our heavenly Father.• Salvation is just the beginning, and as we learn, our desire to understand Him should only continue grow.• That is the wonder of getting to know our unfathomable God.
III. The Christian life is more thantrusting Jesus Christ as Savior, joining achurch, and getting baptized• The Christian life is about having a serious relationship with the God who created us, has power over all things, and has made awesome promises to His children.• This is why we are to seek Him first; everything else remains secondary.
IV. Why should we seek the Lord?A. Unbelievers need to seek God because: A. Iniquities will hide His face from them Isa. 59:1-2• 1 Behold, the LORDs hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear:• 2But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.• Those content to live with sin are separated from God.They may offer prayers to Him when disaster strikes,but He won’t hear.
• They will be exposed to the wrath of God Romans 1:8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world. Those who turn away from the Lord and continue to practice things that displease Him will experience discipline.
• Eventually, God will give them over to a depraved mind Romans 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;• A depraved mind can’t form right judgments. When people reject the gospel time and time again, their hearts begin to harden to the point they no longer respond to God.• That’s why it’s dangerous to ignore the leading of the Holy Spirit.
• They will continue to misunderstand Scripture1 Cor. 2:14-1614But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit ofGod: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them,because they are spiritually discerned.15But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself isjudged of no man.16For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instructhim? but we have the mind of Christ• Unbelievers are without spiritual discernment and can’t understand the ways of God. He can only begin to work in our lives when we recognize our need and confess our sins.
• Remember, the wages of sin is death, not just in the physical senseRom. 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.• Those who don’t accept Jesus Christ as their Savior are dead spiritually and will experience the eternal death spoken of in the twentieth chapter of the book of Revelation.
B. Believers should seek God because Hewants to conform us to the likeness ofHis Son•There are times when we distance ourselves from the Lord because we aren’t focused on Him with our whole hearts.
V. We must seek the Lord…• With All Our Hearts Jer. 29:10 For thus saith the LORD, That after seventy years be accomplished at Babylon I will visit you, and perform my good word toward you, in causing you to return to this place.• God must be our priority if we want to know Him intimately. This means we must confess our sins and submit to His will• Isa. 55:6-76Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he isnear:7Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts:and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; andto our God, for he will abundantly pardon.• Nothing should take precedence over to the treasure we have in Christ.
• Diligently Prov. 8:17I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shallfind me.A true desire to know God means we put all other thingsaside and aren’t distracted.• Continually Ps. 105:4Seek the LORD, and his strength: seek his face evermore.Nothing is too insignificant to be lifted to God in prayer. Wemust seek His mind about decisions and plans in our lives.
• Confidently Heb. 11:6But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he thatcometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is arewarder of them that diligently seek him.God wants to speak to all believers and work in their lives.Know that the Father will provide His best at the right time.• Humbly Ps. 10:4The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will notseek after God: God is not in all his thoughts.The only assurance we have in life is Jesus. Failing torecognize our dependence on Him can make us arrogant anddeserving of reprimand.
VI. An unbeliever must seek the Lordwhile He may be found• Isa. 55:6 Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near:• Each time a lost person feels convicted by the Holy Spirit but chooses to reject Him, his heart is hardened.• Eventually, that person will become so calloused that it will become impossible to respond to that call
VII. Conclusion•As believers, we should be seeking God because He is certainly seeking us.•He desires to sit on the throne in each of our hearts. We must listen to Him so He can bless us with His best and work His will in our lives.