Uk 1995 diary London


Published on

Published in: Travel, Entertainment & Humor
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Uk 1995 diary London

  1. 1. UK 1995 Diary - London The next day, July 20, I boarded the bus at 8am, threw up 3x at the onset of our journey, until I finally got a front seat beside the driver by the time we arrived at Wolverhampton. At Birmingham, I had biscuits and diet Coke for lunch. We arrived at London, Victoria Station at 4:20pm. I left my luggage at the Left Luggage area for 2.50 pounds, and took a taxi to King’s College Hall (University of London) at Champion Hill, which I found in the Internet while at Aber. The room was small but I had my own bathroom, and cost only 11.50 pounds per night (including breakfast). On the way back to Victoria Station, I took the British Rail from Denmark Hill Station. At Victoria Place, I ate chicken with cashew nuts. Then I decided to leave the luggage until tomorrow, and went back to King’s College, tired and lonely. Friday, July 21, I woke up early for breakfast at 7:30 and took the train to Black Friar’s, walked past the St. Paul Cathedral, to be at the office of IME for a meeting on TINLIB with Ray Dyke and Steve Chapman. After the meeting, I walked to Farrington Station, took the train to Tower Hill to see the Tower of London. The Tower is the oldest of all royal residences, built in 1078 by William the Conqueror, and used as prison for Lady Jane Grey and Rudolf Hess. The queue was long, so I decided to see the Windsor instead. AT 1pm, after eating pizza in a Lebanese restaurant near the bus station, I took a Green Line bus to the Castle for 5.50 pounds and paid the entrance fee of 8 pounds at Windsor gate. The Castle, built by William the Conqueror, serves as the official residence of the Queen. The tour took us to the State Apartments, to view the formal rooms for ceremonial occasions, and St. George’s Chapel, built by King Edward IV in 1475, and completed by Henry XVIII in 1528 (resting place of 10 sovereigns). Back to Kensington Palace and a long walk to Victoria Station, where I picked up my luggage, and went straight to Denmark Hill to King’s College. The next day, I took the bus to Victoria for a visit to Westminster Cathedral (the principal Roman Catholic Church in England, the largest, built in 1895, with a campanile 273 ft. high), walked along Victoria Street, ending at Westminster Abbey (founded in 1050 by Edward the Confessor as a Benedictine monastery). Then I went inside St. Margaret’s Church,
  2. 2. took photos of the Big Ben, the House of Parliament, the statues of Oliver Cromwell and Richard the Lion- Hearted, No. 10 Downing Street, the Horses’ Guard, and Trafalgar Square, dominated by Nelson’s Column. Then I entered the National Gallery and the Portrait Gallery. After eating at Soho Square, I walked towards Piccadilly Circus and Pall Mall. The Mall is the famous route for many historic processions. I took photos of the Crimean Monument (the statues of Florence Nightingale and other heroes of the Crimean War), the tree-lined Admiralty Arch (which is at the end of The Mall), strolled past the Marlborough House, the Clarence House (home of the Queen Mother),
  3. 3. Queen Victoria Memorial (unveiled only in 1911 by George V), and Buckingham Palace, the official royal residence, bought by King George IV, and first occupied by Queen Victoria in 1837. The ceremony of the changing of the guards takes place at 11:30 am, but I never got around to watching such pomp and pageantry. Too many tourists!!! I took a bus (No. 185) back to Denmark Hill. Passed by a grocery store to buy coke and sandwiches for dinner. I woke up late. Arrived at the Tower of London at 10am, and since there was a long queue, I decided to just walk thru the bridge and back, then walked thru London Bridge towards Southwark Cathedral (which contains a chapel in memory of John Harvard, the first benefactor of the American University) to catch the mass service at 11. By 12nn, I was walking towards St. Paul’s Cathedral (London’s crowning glory, another Wren masterpiece, with the largest dome in the world after St. Peter’s). Stopped by for coke at Le Grand St. and had lunch at a bench on the Bastion Wall (built by the Romans, and situated behind the Museum of London) before I paid the Museum a 3-hour visit. The Museum of London is the largest and most comprehensive city museum. The galleries show what London was like since it was founded by the Romans in AD 50. At 4pm, I took a walk to the British Museum via Great Russell St. One of the world’s greatest, the British Museum houses a fantastic collection of antiquities and rare specimens of human achievement. The Manuscript
  4. 4. Saloon contained the original King John’s MagnaCharta, Handel’s Messiah, and the Gutenberg Bible. I left the museum after 6pm, stopped by for coke again at Bloomsbury and New Oxford St.. Then I took the tube to change at Oxford Circus for Victoria. Walked again around Buckingham Palace towards St. James Park (which stands on one side of The Mall), and watched the ducks swim along the lake. At Victoria St., I walked to a travel bureau and bought a ticket for Leeds Castle, a must-see for the next day’s sight-seeing trip outside London, my last day. Supper again at Victoria Place, and back to King’s College by 10pm. July 24, Monday, I paid my bill after the 7:30 breakfast, took my luggage to Victoria Station. Waited at the coach station for the bus until 10am, only to find out that I should take the railway. Walked back as fast I could to the Railway station and reached platform 8 in time (the train left at 10:18, arriving one hour later at Leeds Castle). The castle, situated at Maidstone, Kent and one of the loveliest in the world, is set on two islands in the center of a motionless lake. Its first royal owners were Edward I and Queen Eleanor of Castille in 1278. It is home to 6 medieval English queens. It was converted by Henry XVIII into a royal palace in early 1500s. The tour included lunch at the terrace of the Fairfax Terrace. I walked around the garden and the Maze (got lost for 30 minutes before I found my bearing). I got back to the coach park at 4pm. By 15:15, I was back at Victoria St., took the no. 52 bus to Knightbridge, walked past Harrods and into Brompton Road to enter the London Oratory Catholic Church, where I met Fr. Peter Gee, a newly ordained priest of the
  5. 5. Order of St. Peter, with mission in Kansas. He paid 2 pounds for the guidebook to the Oratory of St. Philip Neri and gave it to me as souvenir. Walking along this road, I stumbled onto the Victoria and Albert Museum, the Natural History Museum, the Science Museum, and the British Library Sound Archives. Also took photos of Albert Hall along the way and walked towards the Kensington Palace, home of the Princess Diana, to Victoria Railway Station, after taking pictures of the Grosvenor Hotel along Buckingham St. near the station, and the Royal Mews, home of the royal carriages. Then I took bus no .185 to Denmark Hill. As souvenir, I took photos of Champion Hill St., the Fox on the Hill Beer Garden at the corner along the way, the entrance to King’s College Hall, the reception area, the gardens, and finally my bedroom. Tuesday, July 25, after breakfast at 7:30 am, I left King’s College Hall to board Gatwick Express at 9am. At 10, I was still negotiating to get a boarding ticket (they wouldn’t allow me to check in 2 suitcases). At 11, I finally checked in and boarded the plane. I arrived the next day at 2:00pm and was picked up by Daddy and Vic thirty minutes later. I received a warm welcome on Monday, 1 August, by my staff, Amy and Tony, with Cres, Cynthia, Cely, and Fe Sajulan.