Uk 1995 diary


Published on

Published in: Travel, Business
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Uk 1995 diary

  1. 1. UK 1995 Diary Daddy took me to the airport on 19 June, a Monday, for my PAL flight to London. I boarded the plane at 6PM, and took the seat near the emergency exit. We had a one- hour stopover at Frankfurt, and arrived at Gatwick about 9:30 am the next day. After one hour at the Immigration, I took the monorail, struggling with my big blue suitcase, to the North Terminal for a British Air flight to Manchester, arriving there at about noon. Changed some dollars for pounds and took a taxi for ten pounds to Hornby Road, where Joan’s place is, at the Old Trafford Town. Joan’s house accommodated transients and backpackers for 12 pounds a UMIST campus night. Ate pizza and salad for lunch. Slept the whole day, 10 Hornby Road and woke up at 10:30 pm, it Old Trafford was still daylight. So I slept town hall again, and woke up at 4:30 am to find that the sun was already up. I took a walk to Manchester United and waited for the shop to open at 9. Bought t-shirts and baseball caps for Carlos and Rio. With the two Malaysians who also stayed at Joan’s, we took a taxi for UMIST, venue of the 2005 UK LA “Under one umbrella” Convention, arriving there before noon. Met Myriam from Cali, Columbia and Carolyn from Simmons College, Boston. After settling down to my own private room at the University of Manchester’s Weston Conference Center Hall, Myriam and I took an afternoon walk to the Post Office where I sent a postcard and walked to the Piccadilly Plaza. Back to the Weston Hall, we had an orientation meeting with Joyce Weston Hall dining area Wallace, and our trainors- lecturers (Lucy Tedd, Tony Thompson, and Ida Flynn). Univ of Manchester campus June 22, Thursday began with a heavy English breakfast, and an introductory lecture by Lucy on “Computer Applications in Libraries; an overview of Piccadilly gardens Manchester Town hall dinner developments.” After her lecture, I Piccadilly gardens went on a sight-seeing trip by myself to see the Manchester Central Library, St. Peter’s Square, and the City Art Galleries to view the Holocaust exhibit. I also took photos of Princess Street (lined with 18th century edifices), where we would usually start off on our daily walk to the center of the town. The Princess Street evening was capped with a formal reception with the Mayor of Manchester at the Town Hall. The next day we listened to Ida’s lecture on the “Internet.” Then after lunch, I took a long stroll along Market Street, shopped at Marks & Spencer, and bought kid shoes for Cybele (which I found out when I got back was marked “made in the Phils.”). Took photos of Manchester cathedral
  2. 2. Manchester Cathedral (another masterpiece of Sir Christopher Wren who built St. Paul in London), and Piccadilly Gardens, on the way back to Weston Hall for the Exhibitors Reception dinner at Barnes Willis. There I joined a quiz show with 4 Britons, a Swede, Chuli (from Sri Lanka), Myriam, and two Jamaicans as contestants. I won 3rd prize. June 24, Saturday was spent at the plenary session, listening to 2 lectures (one by Phil Sykes on “Convergence” and the other on “Internet Developments”. At 11am, I rushed to John Rylands Library (Deansgate) before it closes at 1pm. Then I joined a Chetham Library tour given by Michael Powell, the librarian, who described how books were arranged by size, color, etc.. Chetham’s is the oldest (1421) public library in UK, where books remained chained to their shelves. Its rare book collection rivaled those of Oxford and Cambridge, and it possessed 13th-14th cent. Medieval manuscripts. We sat on 17th century chairs in the general reading area. Both visits were powerfully awesome in grandeur and historicity of the collections. The only place I was allowed to take a picture, it seemed, was the toilet, so I did. In the late afternoon, Myriam and I walked towards Manchester U to visit the Whitworth Gallery, but it was already closed. Sunday was spent in the morning attending 2 lectures and after lunch, Myriam and I took Carolyn for a walking tour of St. Anne’s Church (1712), where we listened to an organ recital, shopped at Marks & Spencer (bras, etc) and rested awhile at Piccadilly gardens. The next day, we listened to Tony’s lecture on “International Developments on Multimedia” at UMIST library, and had lunch at Barnes Willis. In the afternoon, we were treated to a visit at John Rylands and an evening reception tendered by the British Council. Back in Weston, Masuda showed me his camera (made in the Phils.), a good one, while mine, a Nikon (made in Japan) was not functioning well. Inside St. Anne’s Church Tuesday, June 27, after breakfast of English toast, sausage, scrambled eggs & bacon, plum, peach, English coffee, and orange juice, Myriam and I went to Lewis to shop, where I got a backpacker. At ten, the motorcoach took us to the British Library at Boston Spa, (a copyright library, where I bought a sweatshirt), and after the library tour and lecture, we went to York for an evening stroll of the York Minster Cathedral (one of the world’s famous cathedrals, built in 1220 where Archbishop Walter de Gray was entombed), the King’s Manor (now part of York University, where Charles I had his
  3. 3. headquarters in 1639 and 1642), the art gallery of York Town, The York Opera House, and the ruins of St. Mary’s Abbey (which was dissolved in 1539). We were home by 10pm at dusk, late for dinner, but since it was St. Mary’s Abbey ruins summer, it was still light. The next day, we traveled the whole morning to Oxford (the land of “dreaming spires”) , arriving at St. Hilda’s College at 1pm. I had the best room, spacious, surrounded by glass walls and windows, overlooking the gardens and the river Cherwell. The afternoon was spent touring the Bodleian Library (another copyright library), Sheldonian Theatre, and a leisurely stroll along High Street. Dinner was superb – pink salmon pate, roast beef, salad, cheese and crackers, ice cream and coffee. After dinner, we went punting by the river, with Lucy, St. Hilda’s College Anthony, Collin, Chuli, and Therese (the Jamaican). For 30 minutes, we were encircling the river, getting nowhere, creating quite a spectacle. Walked around the beautiful gardens of St. Hilda’s until dusk at 10:30pm. June 29 was a cool and crispy morning. Before breakfast, I managed to take an early stroll along High Street, towards St. Aldates St., past the Memorial Garden and back to St. Hilda’s in time for a sumptuous breakfast. By St. Hilda’s gardens 8am, I was walking around the Botanical garden with Yati and the Malaysian, Wan. Botanical gardens At 10:30 we Bodleian Library entrance were at Blackwells Bookshop and had lunch at King’s Cross College with Chairman Miles Blackwell. Then we toured the Ashmolean Museum (the oldest in Britain and one of the greatest in the world) at St. Giles St., Blackwell’s Bookshop at Broad St., and Christ Church Cathedral back to High Street to see the Museum of Oxford but it
  4. 4. Christ Church College was already closed. So I just took photos of ChristChurch War Memorial gardens College (above photo), the largest, richest, and most magnificent college in the University, founded by Henry XVIII in 1546, but originally established by Cardinal Wolsey in 1525, after he had fallen from power), and its Cathedral (built 1121 on the site of the Priory of St. Frideswide, founder of Oxford 727 AD), the beautiful War Memorial Gardens along St. Aldates St., and the many universities surrounding the area: Oxford University All Souls College College (the oldest, 1249, believed to be founded by King Alfred), the Queen’s Queen’s College College (1341), Oriel College (1326), Merton College Martyrs memorial University College (1264), All Souls College (1438), Brasenose College (1509), Trinity College (1555) and back to St. Magdalen College, along High Street, on the way back to St. Trinity College Hilda’s, stopping by at Whittards to shop for souvenirs. St. Magdalen College
  5. 5. Angela June 30, a Friday, we left Oxford at 8:30, arriving at Llanbadarn Fawr in Aberystwyth at 1pm, at its hottest time of the year (it was summer solstice) and the hottest day in 60 years, Thomas Parry Library according to Ben Davies. We visited the library and the Dept of Information and Library Services (DILS), and Aberystwyth listened to an orientation on the library OPAC, LISA, libertas, their housekeeping system, and got our library card and email account. Dinner was getting better, but my bedroom, which faced the library building and social hall, was a disappointment. Saturday was a free day, so Masuda, Amara (from Sri Lanka), and I went to the main campus downhill (Rosser Hall), and strolled around the castle ruins, watching the seagulls hover over the ruins, then to the Old College by the beach, the Cathedral, and antique shops in narrow streets. I bought two porcelain dolls on the way, and for the first time, boarded the bus back to the Llanbadarn Campus. Aberystwyth is a small university town situated in the west coast of Wales, with a resident population of 12,000, mostly students and senior citizens. The Llanbadarn Campus sits on a hill
  6. 6. overlooking the town of Aber, the Rheidol Valley, and Cardigan Bay. Sunday morning, we went on a sight-seeing trip to the Devil’s Bridge at Dyfed (about 12 miles from Aber), where the lowest and oldest of the three bridges (built one on top of the other) spanning the ravines of the river Mynach, is 12th century old (before 1188 reputedly built by the Knight Templars). The story is that it was built by the Devil for an old lady who outwitted him. The falls below are about 653 ft. below sea level. We took the steam railway, which survived 2 world wars and became the last railway owned by the British Rail. The line was opened in 1902 to serve the lead mines and timber traffic of the Rheidol Valley; the line had many sharp curves and steep gradients. To get to the Mynach Falls, we descended 94 steps, Jacob’s Ladder, before a marker that warned us that the path was steep and slippery, “not suitable for the aged and the infirm,“ then crossed the bridge, and went back the same way, to climb Jacob’s Ladder. We had lunch near the waterfalls, and shopped at a small souvenir store at the entrance of the site. There I bought Cybele’s Indian canoe slippers for 12 pounds, and a red sheepskin bag. July 3, Monday, was the start of our Aber training program. After a group photo session, we had a good lunch. The pm practical session was spent navigating the web and sending emails. At the dinner reception, I met Joyce’s husband Paul (a GOOD-looking Scot). The next day, I took a taxi with Chuli, Tina and Dorothy to the Reception dinner Hugh Owen Library in the main campus, to check the dormitory where I would stay after the Aber training program, and also found in the Internet a single room Black Lions Pub at Middlesex, London, for only 9.50 pounds per night. I took the bus back with Chuli after picking up the photos and shopping for toiletries. Wednesday night was chilly. Dinner was super – Salisbury steak with baked potatoes, peas and carrots, cake and fresh fruits. Thursday dinner was another plus – minced beef, fish chips, salad, hard-boiled eggs, boiled cauliflower, and green watermelons. After dinner, we went down the corner to Black Lions Pub to listen to 3 locals playing strange Welsh instruments. Coke was expensive at 2 pounds and a pack of Benson & Hedges was 2 pound fifty. But Masuda paid for both. Typical Aber house
  7. 7. Friday afternoon was spent on a stroll to the town by myself along Llanbadarn Rd., passing by some pretty houses along the way, buying needles for Cres and doilies (doyles) for myself. Got to the bus in the nick of time, and in time for dinner too. Planned a trip to Harlech with Ida and son Anthony, Yati, Terry and Joan. July 8, we started on our train trip to Harlech with a short stop-over at a small village town called Machynlleth, the ancient capital of Wales, where the Old Parliament building was built by Owain Glyndwr, a Welsh Prince, in 1404. I bought a skirt for 13 pounds, 3 thimbles for 10 pounds, horse-shoe- shaped doorbell, and a tiny bell in a quaint souvenir shop. Market day here was Wednesday. Then we changed trains and traveled along the Cambrian Coast thru the Dovey valley, passing by some spectacular sceneries, mountains, meadows, seascapes. We crossed the marshlands thru Barmouth bridge, and passed some castles and village towns. Machynlleth clock Harlech Castle is one of the most magnificently sited of Welsh Castles. A world heritage site, it has a commanding view of Cardigan Bay, the Lleyn Peninsula, and inland, the mountains of Snowdonia. Harlech, together with Caernarfon and Conwy castles, was built by Edward I (1283) to form an iron ring of majestic fortresses, believed to be impregnable, until it was captured in 1404 by Owain Glyndwr, who established his court here until his family was taken prisoners four years later. We had lunch at a restaurant near the souvenir shop. Clarach market The next day was spent at Clarach Sunday market (about 1.5 miles from Aber) from 10am to 2:30pm and bought some pasalubongs. I slept until 6:30 and some young men at the Social Hall gave us dinner. Monday pm was spent at the National Library of Wales (another copyright library), and for the first time since we came to Aber, it rained cats and dogs. Chuli and I took a taxi home, in time for dinner of trout, roast beef, baked potatoes, green peas, custard pie and fruits. A misty evening, wet but not so cold. July 11, a Tuesday, was foggy but not cold. The sun came out at 1pm. I went to town after the practical sessions, and bought shoes for Carlos and Rio at Clark’s for 25 pounds each (they were on big sale). Baby shoes cost too much. Wednesday and Thursday afternoons were spent shopping downtown at Peacock’s, where I got an all-weather jacket for Carlos. I also bought my bus ticket to London for July 20. Ate ice cream by the promenade and fed the pigeons. We had cocktail dinner at Lucy’s home and passed by Joyce’s. On the way to Llanbadarn, we passed by the pub again and stayed there until 1:30 am. Friday was graduation day, and Masuda and I went to town to shop for his mother. Graduation dinner was superb; Chuli cried Graduation banquet
  8. 8. all night. After tearful farewells, we bade goodbye to Lucy, Joyce, their husbands, Pat Ward, and Alan Clark of DILS Library. July 15, Saturday, my classmates boarded a Roberts Coach for London. Masuda, Yati, Terry, and Amara cried as they bade me farewell. I took Carolyn to the Social Hall for breakfast with Ida and Tony, who left after breakfast for Manchester. Then Raphael (a librarian from Papua New Guinea who was doing his thesis at Aber) came to pick me up and helped with my luggage to transfer to Rosser Hall at the main campus, where I paid 60 pounds for 5 days’ stay. Walking back to Llanbadarn, we passed by the Llanbadarn Church, the oldest bishopric in Wales, the old town cemetery, and the beautiful house for the mentally retarded. There was a wedding party Lutheran church at the campus when we House for mentally retarded arrived to bid goodbye to Carolyn Davis. Sunday, Raphael didn’t come, so I walked alone to St. Michael’s Church (beside the University College) for service at 11am. I also visited other churches nearby: Our Lady of the Angels along Queen’s Road, and St. Winefride, with its beautiful Presbitery. I also paused for a St. Michael’s Church photo of a Lutheran Church along the road. After lunch, I took a stroll along the promenade toward the Aber castle ruins. The castle was built by Edward I in 1277, and captured by Owain in 1404, partially destroyed by Henry V in his attempt to retake it in 1408, then finally destroyed in 1649 by Cromwell’s forces. Back to Penglais Road, I stopped by at Spar to get some groceries for dinners and breakfasts, and got back to Rosser Hall before it became real cold. Promenade National Library
  9. 9. I spent Monday to Wednesday at the University Library (Hugh Owen) for a 3-day library attachment training program. The first day, I visited the University College by the sea, and the Ceredigion Museum, which is housed in a restored Edwardian music hall. I had dinner at Joyce’s home Monday evening (No. 10 Ceredigion Museum Trinity Road) and took pictures of their house, living room and toilet, then outside the house onto the street, and nearby, the Trinity Church. In the afternoon of Tuesday, Raphael came at 6pm to pick me up for a stroll downtown (he got sick for 2 days). We had merienda and planned a fine dinner on my last day in Aber. Raphael came at 6pm for a stroll downtown and dinner at an Italian restaurant. But when we got there, it was still closed, so we decided to buy take-out food from a Chinese restaurant, walked along the promenade towards the castle ruins, and the War memorial. This beautiful monument was unveiled by the Duke of Windsor in 1923. Underneath the castle grounds is a shelter where people come to sing hymns on Sunday evenings. In one of these shelters, Raphael and I had our last meal together in Aber. After eating, we walked back to the end of the promenade, threw a coin down the well, after making a wish, and walked back to Rosser Hall, arriving at 9:30pm, still light. I decided to pack up early for my long trip back to London the following day. Raphael gave me his email address and Papua New Guinea address just in case we would continue to communicate after his thesis was completed. He had hoped to return home before winter. He described winter in Aber, the biting cold winds, and thick snow. He said, he wouldn’t last another winter here. Anyway, I was glad I was leaving Aber and moving on to London. I couldn’t stand the cold nights. University College
  10. 10. The next day, July 20, I boarded the bus at 8am, threw up 3x at the onset of our journey, until I finally got a front seat beside the driver by the time we arrived at Wolverhampton. At Birmingham, I had biscuits and diet Coke for lunch. We arrived at London, Victoria Station at 4:20pm. I left my luggage at the Left Luggage area for 2.50 pounds, and took a taxi to King’s College Hall (University of London) at Champion Hill, which I found in the Internet while at Aber. The room was small but I had my own bathroom, and cost only 11.50 pounds per night (including breakfast). On the way back to Victoria Station, I took the British Rail from Denmark Hill Station. At Victoria Place, I ate chicken with cashew nuts. Then I decided to leave the luggage until tomorrow, and went back to King’s College, tired and lonely. Friday, July 21, I woke up early for breakfast at 7:30 and took the train to Black Friar’s, walked past the St. Paul Cathedral, to be at the office of IME for a meeting on TINLIB with Ray Dyke and Steve Chapman. After the meeting, I walked to Farrington Station, took the train to Tower Hill to see the Tower of London. The Tower is the oldest of all royal residences, built in 1078 by William the Conqueror, and used as prison for Lady Jane Grey and Rudolf Hess. The queue was long, so I decided to see the Windsor instead. AT 1pm, after eating pizza in a Lebanese restaurant near the bus station, I took a Green Line bus to the Castle for 5.50 pounds and paid the entrance fee of 8 pounds at Windsor gate. The Castle, built by William the Conqueror, serves as the official residence of the Queen. The tour took us to the State Apartments, to view the formal rooms for ceremonial occasions, and St. George’s Chapel, built by King Edward IV in 1475, and completed by Henry XVIII in 1528 (resting place of 10 sovereigns). Back to Kensington Palace and a long walk to Victoria Station, where I picked up my luggage, and went straight to Denmark Hill to King’s College. The next day, I took the bus to Victoria for a visit to Westminster Cathedral (the principal Roman Catholic Church in England, the largest, built in 1895, with a campanile 273 ft. high), walked along Victoria Street, ending at Westminster Abbey (founded in 1050 by Edward the Confessor as a Benedictine monastery). Then I went inside St. Margaret’s Church,
  11. 11. took photos of the Big Ben, the House of Parliament, the statues of Oliver Cromwell and Richard the Lion-Hearted, No. 10 Downing Street, the Horses’ Guard, and Trafalgar Square, dominated by Nelson’s Column. Then I entered the National Gallery and the Portrait Gallery. After eating at Soho Square, I walked towards Piccadilly Circus and Pall Mall. The Mall is the famous route for many historic processions. I took photos of the Crimean Monument (the statues of Florence Nightingale and other heroes of the Crimean War), the tree-lined Admiralty Arch (which is at the end of The Mall), strolled past the Marlborough House, the Clarence House (home of the Queen Mother),
  12. 12. Queen Victoria Memorial (unveiled only in 1911 by George V), and Buckingham Palace, the official royal residence, bought by King George IV, and first occupied by Queen Victoria in 1837. The ceremony of the changing of the guards takes place at 11:30 am, but I never got around to watching such pomp and pageantry. Too many tourists!!! I took a bus (No. 185) back to Denmark Hill. Passed by a grocery store to buy coke and sandwiches for dinner. I woke up late. Arrived at the Tower of London at 10am, and since there was a long queue, I decided to just walk thru the bridge and back, then walked thru London Bridge towards Southwark Cathedral (which contains a chapel in memory of John Harvard, the first benefactor of the American University) to catch the mass service at 11. By 12nn, I was walking towards St. Paul’s Cathedral (London’s crowning glory, another Wren masterpiece, with the largest dome in the world after St. Peter’s). Stopped by for coke at Le Grand St. and had lunch at a bench on the Bastion Wall (built by the Romans, and situated behind the Museum of London) before I paid the Museum a 3-hour visit. The Museum of London is the largest and most comprehensive city museum. The galleries show what London was like since it was founded by the Romans in AD 50. At 4pm, I took a walk to the British Museum via Great Russell St. One of the world’s greatest, the British Museum houses a fantastic collection of antiquities and rare specimens of human achievement. The Manuscript
  13. 13. Saloon contained the original King John’s MagnaCharta, Handel’s Messiah, and the Gutenberg Bible. I left the museum after 6pm, stopped by for coke again at Bloomsbury and New Oxford St.. Then I took the tube to change at Oxford Circus for Victoria. Walked again around Buckingham Palace towards St. James Park (which stands on one side of The Mall), and watched the ducks swim along the lake. At Victoria St., I walked to a travel bureau and bought a ticket for Leeds Castle, a must-see for the next day’s sight- seeing trip outside London, my last day. Supper again at Victoria Place, and back to King’s College by 10pm. July 24, Monday, I paid my bill after the 7:30 breakfast, took my luggage to Victoria Station. Waited at the coach station for the bus until 10am, only to find out that I should take the railway. Walked back as fast I could to the Railway station and reached platform 8 in time (the train left at 10:18, arriving one hour later at Leeds Castle). The castle, situated at Maidstone, Kent and one of the loveliest in the world, is set on two islands in the center of a motionless lake. Its first royal owners were Edward I and Queen Eleanor of Castille in 1278. It is home to 6 medieval English queens. It was converted by Henry XVIII into a royal palace in early 1500s. The tour included lunch at the terrace of the Fairfax Terrace. I walked around the garden and the Maze (got lost for 30 minutes before I found my bearing). I got back to the coach park at 4pm. By 15:15, I was back at Victoria St., took the no. 52 bus to Knightbridge, walked past Harrods and into Brompton Road to enter the London Oratory Catholic Church, where I met Fr. Peter Gee, a newly ordained priest of the
  14. 14. Order of St. Peter, with mission in Kansas. He paid 2 pounds for the guidebook to the Oratory of St. Philip Neri and gave it to me as souvenir. Walking along this road, I stumbled onto the Victoria and Albert Museum, the Natural History Museum, the Science Museum, and the British Library Sound Archives. Also took photos of Albert Hall along the way and walked towards the Kensington Palace, home of the Princess Diana, to Victoria Railway Station, after taking pictures of the Grosvenor Hotel along Buckingham St. near the station, and the Royal Mews, home of the royal carriages. Then I took bus no .185 to Denmark Hill. As souvenir, I took photos of Champion Hill St., the Fox on the Hill Beer Garden at the corner along the way, the entrance to King’s College Hall, the reception area, the gardens, and finally my bedroom. Tuesday, July 25, after breakfast at 7:30 am, I left King’s College Hall to board Gatwick Express at 9am. At 10, I was still negotiating to get a boarding ticket (they wouldn’t allow me to check in 2 suitcases). At 11, I finally checked in and boarded the plane. I arrived the next day at 2:00pm and was picked up by Daddy and Vic thirty minutes later. I received a warm welcome on Monday, 1 August, by my staff, Amy and Tony, with Cres, Cynthia, Cely, and Fe Sajulan.