GENESIS OF THE IDEA
Lever Brothers India Limited-1933
Formed Hindustan lever limited-1956
Renamed Hindustan Unilever limited-2007
• United traders-supplying rubber products in
Mumbai for welding machines, cutting machines.
• Lever brothers-1888-consumer goods-London
(Lifebouy, Pears, Lux, Laundry bars)
• Hindustan Vanaspathi
HUL- $58 Billion - Unilever group
Unilever Indian subsidary-1931
MD and CEO- Nitin Paranjpe
Goods manufactured-37 factories; Stocktist-2800
HUL has more than 35 brands.
2010- 2 Billion lacked safe water.
Estimated $25billion a year for proper water supply.
Current global spending – fraction of the
requirement(reason for the thought)
Came up with pure it.
India depending on monsoons for water supply.
Real estates emerged-ground water depleted.
Traditional method of purifying-heat water and
Main concentration on rural areas-in efficient water
GENESIS OF THE IDEA
HUL-21st century-in pursuit for new opportunities
out side traditional products.
CAME UP WITH-
Project Shakti-(HUL INITIATIVE)-micro credit
based-empower women-rural area.
HUL water purification and storage system.
Three constraints of boiling water- cumbersome,
time consuming, expensive.
Existing water purifiers-expensive-electricity and
pressurized tap water to function.
HUL in to water purifiers- with DTH sales capability
In home point of use-water purifier market in india-450$
million-2009 & projected to grow (2009-2014)
Current Indian water purifier usage-8%
Vast majority-boiled water, ceramic filter, candle filters.
Working with Government for specific standard
measures in water purification sector.
UV and RV growth limited by their high price.
Introduced counter top water purifiers- low cost.
Bad reputation-counter top could not provide safety from
viruses bacteria and parasites.
Competitors on high end market (RO & UV).
Eureka Forbes-came up with aqua guard(with UV and
RO) and later in to aqua sure(with out UV and RO)
• Later counter top gained market and UV and RO failed to do so.
• Used biocide cum filer to reduce the cost.
• Swatch-TATA-ecofriendly-rice husk and Nano silver tech.
• P&G-sachet pack- coagulation, flocculation and disinfection.
• Each sachet-capable-10ltrs of water.
• Both P&G and pure it had good market.
• Current domination of UV and Ro would decrease as more of HUL,
Eureka, Tata and P&G are coming up with water filters.
• HUL was on standards with us requirements of germ killing.
• 200 changes in the span of 4 years.
• Water initiative by global Unilever- India chosen as lead
• Had to cope up with local constraints( Electricity and
• Used a technology called GERM KILL KIT.
• Came up with an indicator to be unique.
• It had to kill bacteria virus and parasites.
• Water treatment plant-test marketing.
• Launched in 2008 after lot of test marketing.
• Auto shut off technology.
• Four stages of purification-micro fiber, carbon trap,
polisher, germ kill kit.
• 6 liters of water/hour-purification.
Yuri Jain headed water team-vice president.
Marketing manager for a house hold care businessproducts used to kill bacteria on the floor
This water initiative had a cross functional team
Aim as a whole they worked on protecting human life.
Came up with 3c’s-cash career and cause.
New business- new sets of challenges at every stage.
Consumer receptivity during test runs was low.
Not as public health product but as consumer durable.
Change in the life of Rural India.
Advanced version of living standard measure for
Making people think that pure it is as safe as boiling water
DTH sales channels and doctor partner ships.
Three stages used-short term , middle term and long
Provides complete protection from harmful germs.
Major sales in India-direct sales(50%) and dealers(40%)
Push marketing required for RO and UV.
HUL concentrated on DTH network- educating employees
to reach people with the product.
Initial sale was pure it later germ kill kits and cost varied
based on the models purchased.
HUL strength lay in retail network.
Traditional marketing would not be in appropriate(AD’s)
Educate training demonstrators as water experts.
system needed critical changesdemonstrator profile and compensation.
Dealing with both high and low end markets.
Sales increased and sales through DTH became
Retail has becoming increasingly competitive.
To meet the bottom pyramid- educating is the only
Competition is increasing as the prices of the high
end are coming down.