Landing pages are an important part of your digital marketing strategy for increasing leads and conversion rates. High performing landing pages are optimized and designed using scientifically proven best practices. We've put together some of the most important tips on building the best landing pages in this quick guide.
/vboutcom vbout www.vbout.com
The Science of Landing Pages
T A B L E O F
1.The Basics: What, Why, How, Where?
2.Direct Sales and Lead Gen Landing Pages
3.How many should you have?
4.PPC and SEO
5.Designing for Conversion
6.Responsive Design and Load Times
7.Navigation Links and Forms
8.Images and CTAs
9.Analytics and Testing
10.Vbout’s Landing Page Builder
• What are landing pages?
• Why do you need them?
• How many should you have?
• Where do people find them?
The Basics 4
What are Landing Pages?
A landing page is a distinct page on your
website that’s built for one single conversion
The main idea is that with one single
conversion goal, users are less distracted by
everything on a typical website.
Purists believe they should contain no
navigation bars or links to your site, but should
be completely focused on the single goal.
Why you need landing pages 6
There are two main types of landing pages,
each with a distinct purpose:
Gives you an option to purchase a product
or service right on the spot.
Provides something of value for your visitor
in exchange for an email address so you can
build a relationship with them over time.
Direct Sales with Landing Pages
• A landing page is a powerful tool to sell your
• They are also a great way to give special
offers and introduce a new service or feature.
• 48% of marketers build a new landing page
for each marketing campaign.
• One great example you’ve probably seen
before is from Amazon.
Direct Sales with Landing Pages 8
Every page on Amazon where you purchase is basically a landing page.
Keys to Successful Direct Sales
• Clear, concise value proposition
• A clear call-to-action
• A sense of urgency
• Easy navigation
• Not too many distractions
• Social proof and testimonials
“Over 70% of Americans say they look at
product reviews before making a
Example of great value proposition
Uber has a
offer that taps
into the needs of
Lead Gen Landing Pages
Landing pages are a critical part of lead generation.
To work you must offer something your target audience will value.
1. E-book or whitepaper
2. Webinar registration
3. Consultation for professional services
4. Discount coupon/voucher
5. Contest entry
6. Free trial
7. A physical gift (via direct mail)
How many should you have?
Why it’s best to have as many as possible:
• 30+ landing pages get 7x more leads than 10 or less.
• 68% of B2B businesses use landing pages for a new
sales leads for future conversion.
• 31 - 40 landing pages get 7x more leads than 1 - 5.
• 40+ landing pages get 12x more leads than 1 - 5.
*Sources: MarketingSherpa and Hubspot
With 40+ Pages
Where do people find landing pages?
Usually a visitor arrives to your landing page after expressing interest
in one of several ads or marketing campaigns:
• A search engine result (like Google)
• A banner ad
• A Google AdWords or AdSense ad
• A link in an email
• Print or TV commercials
PPC and Your Landing Pages
Pay-per-clicks and ad tips:
• Make sure your ad matches your
• Don't bait and switch your traffic.
• You will lose the trust of your visitor
• Trust is crucial to getting an email
address or a final sale.
Landing Pages and SEO
Landing pages improve SEO and
should be part of your SEO strategy.
Use the same principles from your
site on your landing pages:
• Relevant title tags and length
• Include meta description
• Descriptive H1 Tags – or header
How do you convert visitors?
You’ve got the value proposition. Why
aren’t they converting?
It could be your design.
• The purpose is to “convert” the
visitor into a customer or a lead.
• How the page achieves this depends
on the goals and the type of page.
• This is when the design of your page
Make it Responsive
• This is not an option but a necessity.
• It impacts your SEO and conversion
• It will greatly impact your email
open and click through rates.
• You lose ranking in Google searches
if pages are not optimized across
Keep Page Load Times Minimal
• Slow loading means customers wait.
• This will increase your bounce rate.
• This reflects the percentage that
quickly leave without interacting
with your page.
• Load times are often even longer on
mobile devices, make sure to check
those as well.
L O A D I N G . . .
Navigation or Links On the Page?
Remember: The purpose is to increase
conversion by focusing on a single goal.
Don’t distract them with too many links
or items, especially to navigate away!
• Navigation tags are a no-no.
• Should be fewer than 3 links.
• Display only what is needed.
• Limit your segments.
How to Design Your Forms
A two step, opt-in is the most effective overall.
• Less is more. People will give up quickly if they
have to fill in too much.
• Don’t ask for more than is necessary. People
don’t like to give more personal information
• Doing a lazy sign in the beginning and longer
form at the end work well to collect cold leads.
Use Professional Images
• Use large HD Images not photos from
• Make it interesting, engaging and amplify
the human connection.
• Check your competitors and choose to
stand out from the crowd.
• Use arrows and directional cues to lead
visitors through the images to the call-to-
CTAs That Convert
• The design of your CTAs significantly
• Make sure your call-to-action buttons
stand out clearly.
• Alter colors or use animation to make
them appealing and entertaining.
• Research the psychology of colors for
CTAs. There are rules to follow.
• Think about these elements thoroughly:
colors, placement, size, and wording.
Using Analytics to Improve
• Include integration so that data is
• Use analytics like Google analytics
or others on your page.
• Try out additional tools to gather
as much data as possible, such as:
heat maps, click maps and others.
Testing to Improve Conversion
Check the analysis. Develop a hypothesis on what to improve.
Then, do A/B testing on everything.
If you think you found out why the bounce rate may be high, or
conversions low, the next steps are:
• View Results
• Repeat and repeat
Try Dynamic Testing
• Dynamic testing is possibly the
new replacement for A/B
Testing in the coming year.
• It allows you to create displays
for different audiences on the
same landing page.
Wow – That’s a lot of steps!
• Yes, there are a lot of steps to consider when
designing landing pages.
• Trust us, you’ll see MUCH better conversion
• You can go through these manually, but there
are tools to help you set up pages in minutes!
• Some of these even link automatically to your
• Where can you find such amazing tools?
Vbout’s Landing Page Builder
(warning: shameless self promotion ahead)
We’ve spent years building marketing automation tools, websites
and landing pages.
With this expertise, we introduced a landing page builder that does
almost all of these steps for you. The templates are:
• Easy to set up in minutes
• Responsive across devices
• Reflect the rules for best CTA colors and placement
• Link automatically to our lead collection and analysis platforms
Interested in a demo?
See the final slide for links and information on where to sign up.
Or send us an email with any feedback and questions!
Would you like more educational content from Vbout.com?
These slides are part of a FREE Online Digital Marketing
Course taught by Vbout's Founder and CEO, Richard Fallah.
Richard has over 10 years experience as an entrepreneur
and has created some of the most cutting-edge technology
for digital marketing today.
With our course you will:
Increase your skills by learning the best practices for social
media, content marketing, PPC, SEO, analytics and more.
Grow your business by learning how to market your business online and
generate more leads with your digital assets.
Advance your marketing career by learning digital strategies using
cutting-edge technology that increases marketing ROI.
Sign-up here: academy.vbout.com