Lisa Hupp Designs


Published on

Design progression for interpretive display about Kittlitz's Murrelets.

Published in: Technology, Art & Photos
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Lisa Hupp Designs

  1. 1. The designs I worked on this quarter are all components of a large,temporary interpretive display at our Refuge Visitor Center. Our Refuge is remote, sonot many people ever actually get to visit, and it is difficult to relate current researchto our visitors. My goal with the overall panel is to bring relevant information aboutKittlitz’s Murrelet research to a general audience; hopefully, the audience will comeaway with a better understanding of how scientists study a rare species, whatconcerns managers have for the bird, and feel a stronger sense of respect andstewardship for the natural world. The audience is a wide mix of people. We have all ages, from toddlersto elderly adults. The scientific nature of this display is geared more towards adults,since there are many other displays geared towards children. The audience mayhave very little scientific background with no previous experience in Kodiak, or couldbe knowledgeable local community members who are engaged in the scientificcommunity. Most visitors are in groups. When readers are finished reading my information, I want them toknow that: The Kodiak NWR is currently trying to understand more about theecology and habitat of a rare seabird, the Kittlitz’s Murrelett, in an effort to protecta diminishing population. Sub-messages depend on the subject in each panel.
  2. 2. My first design is intended as a main panel aspart of the display, introducing the sectionabout the summer research. I like the colorcombo and the text contrast, but I broke outsome of the info into two separate frames for abetter focus in the following week.
  3. 3. The previous two designs were experiments inproximity and alignment, as I moved the titlescloser to the text body and played with differentleft and right alignment.
  4. 4. The previous slide was an experiment with adifferent panel, practicing contrast through font,color, and the photo itself (the chick in front andthe blurred mountain create depth). I ended upliking the title font more than I thought Iwould…
  5. 5. The previous slide was an experiment in style. Itook a similar design from within our visitorcenter and adapted it for this project. I like theclean, elegant combination of fonts, colors, andthe muted background. I think I might use thisfor most of the text-rich panels, and only use thebright, colorful photos for a few larger panelsthroughout.
  6. 6. I’m still not sure if I’ll use this as the actualdesign that goes up in the visitor center, but it isa start. I went back to one of the first panels Iworked on and tweaked the image, the fonts,the color scheme, and the alignment, as well asrewriting the text.