What are rivers ?
• A river is a body of water with current moving
in one general direction. They can vary in size,
with smaller versions of rivers being referred
to as streams, creeks, or runs. The water in a
river flows into either a larger river, a bay, or
ocean. Rivers themselves are fed by smaller
rivers or streams. Rivers are important habitat
to many different types of plants and wildlife.
• Rivers have been of fundamental importance
throughout the human history. Water from the rivers is
a basic natural resource, essential for various human
activities. Therefore, the river banks have attracted
settlers from ancient times. These settlements have
now become big cities.
Using rivers for irrigation, navigation, hydro-power
generations of special significance for country like
India, where agriculture is the major source of
livelihood of the majority of its population
What Role do the Rivers Play in
Role of Rivers in the Economy:
• Rivers have remained important through the ages.
• The areas along the banks of rivers have witnessed great cultural
and economic progress since ancient times.
• Rivers are integral parts of our folklore and folk-songs.
• River water is a basic natural resource.
• It is essential for human, agricultural and industrial activities.
• Rivers deposits alluvial soils.
• They provide the most productive agricultural lands to the country.
• The Ganga, the Kaveri and other deltas have traditionally been the
rice growing areas.
• An agriculture-dependent on the vagaries of the monsoon; get
irrigation water from rivers. Hence rivers are the backbone of the
developement of Indian agriculture.
• Rivers valleys have dense and concentrated settlements.
• Most of the large cities are located on the banks of rivers.
• Rivers provide us with essential water supplies.
• They also receive, dilute and transport wastes from settlements. Hence
they prove to be biggest cleaners to towns and cities.
• Industrial development has flourished along rivers because numerous
industrial processes depend on water.
• Water is used as raw material.
• It is used to cool down the hot things.
• It is used in generation of electricity.
• Rivers provide primary channels of inland waterways in the form of
• They also indirectly through their flat lands, where roads, railways lines
and other routes are built.
• . Rivers are also being used for recreation; tourist promotion and fishing
activities in a big way.