Human brain is the most valuable creation of the god. The man is intelligent because of this “Brain”. “BLUE BRAIN” is the name of first artificial brain in the world. That means a machine which can function as a human brain. Today scientists are in research to create an artificial brain which can think, response, take decision, and keep anything in memory. The main of this concept is to upload a human brain into a machine. After the death of the body, the virtual brain will act as the man. So even after the death of the man, we will not lose the knowledge, skills, personalities, intelligence, feelings and memories of the man that can be used for the development of human society.
The name of the first virtual brain that is being developed by IBM is referred as “Blue Brain”. It would be the world’s first virtual brain. Within 25 to 30 years, we will be able to scan ourselves to computers. We can say it as Virtual Brain i.e., Blue Brain, which is not actually a natural brain, but act as a brain. It is possible by using a Super Computer, with a high amount of storage capacity, processing power and an interface between the human brain and the artificial one. Through this interface the data stored in a natural brain can be uploaded into the computer. So the brain and the knowledge, intelligence of anyone can be kept forever, even after the death of the person.
Today we are developed because of our knowledge and intelligence. Intelligence is the inborn quality which can be created artificially. Some people may have this quality very higher such that other people cannot even think of the way they think. Human society always needs such intelligence and everybody wants to have such a brain. But the intelligence is lost along with the body after the death of the person. The virtual brain is the solution to it. The brain and the intelligence will be alive even after the death.
The human ability to interpret, feel and even see is controlled, in computer like calculations, by the magical nervous system. Yes, the nervous system is quite like magic, because we can’t see it but it is working through electric pulses through our body. One of the most “Intricately organized” electron mechanisms is the Nervous system. Not even engineers have come close to make circuit boards and computers as delicate and precise as the nervous system. To understand the system, one has to know three simple functions that it puts into action: Sensory input, integration and motor output. 1. Sensory Input:
When our eyes see something or our hands touch something, the sensory cells also named as Neurons, sends a message straight to our brain. This action of getting information from our surrounding environment is called as sensory inputs because we are putting information into brain by sensing the things. 2. Integration:
Integration in best known as interpretation of things we felt, tasted and touched with our sensory cells, also known as neurons, into responses that body recognizes. This process is all accomplished in the brain where many neurons work together to understand the environment. 3. Motor output:
Once our brain has interpreted all the things we have learned, either by touching, tasting, or using any other sense, then our brain sends a message through neurons to effector cells, muscles or grand cells, which actually work to perform our requests and act upon the environment. How we see, smell, hear, feel and take decision.
FIRST ARTIFICIAL BRAIN IN THE WORLD
• What is Blue Brain?
• Need of Virtual Brain
• Function of Natural Brain
• Brain Simulation
• Softwares Requirements
• Hardware Requirements
• Uploading Human Brain
• Advantages and Disadvantages
• The Most powerful creation of god is Human Brain.
• Attempt of reverse engineer the Human Brain.
• Project founded by Henry Markram at EPFL (Ecole
Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne), in Lausanne,
• Simulations are carried out on Blue Gene Supercomputer
built by IBM and hence the name “BLUE BRAIN”.
• Simulation is based on Michael Hine’s NEURON, together
with other custom built components.
• Complete Simulation of HUMAN BRAIN will be possible by
2023 if proper funding is received.
What is Blue Brain?
• Virtual Brain (which is not actually a brain but acts as one)
• “BLUE BRAIN” is the name of the first artificial brain in the world
which is being developed by IBM.
• Possible by using a super computer, with huge storage capacity,
processing power and an interface between human brain and the
Need of Virtual Brain
• Different quotients like Intelligence Quotient,
Emotional Quotient etc will be different in
• Society needs Intelligence for development.
• U.K had asked Sir M.V’s Brain.
• Virtual Brain will be useful to keep the
intelligence even after the death of the person.
Functioning of Human Brain
• Works through electric pulses through our
• Three Simple functions puts into action…
– Sensory Input
– Motor Output
• We mainly require 3 Softwares for the purpose of
simulation and visualization of results.
• They are
• It is a primary software package used by BBP
for neural simulations.
• Developed by Michael Hines
and John Moore in 1990s.
• Written in C,C++ and Fortran.
• Open source software
• Michael Hines and BBP Team
collaborated in 2005 to port the package into
Blue Gene Supercomputer.
BBP-SDK is a Blue Brain Project
Software Development Kit.
It is a set of APIs that allows researchers
to utilize and inspect models and
Is a C++ library wrapped in Java and
• RTNeuron is the primary application used by the BBP team
for visualization of neural simulations.
• It is a software written specifically for neural simulations.
i.e., it is not generalizable to other types of simulation.
• Silicon Graphics: A 32-processor Silicon Graphics Inc. (SGI)
system with 300 Gb of shared memory is used for
visualization of results.
in order to
• It is the primary machine used by the BBP
• Built by IBM
• Technical Specs
– 4,096 quad-core nodes
– Each core is a PowerPC 450, 850 MHz
– Total: 56 teraflops, 16 terabytes of memory
– 4 racks, one row, wired as a 16x16x16 3D torus
– 1 PB of disk space, GPFS parallel file system
– Operating system: Linux SuSE SLES 10
• This machine peaked at 99th place in fastest
supercomputers in the world in 2009.
It is a Blue
Installed at the
Germany in 2012.
This is being used
by the BBP from
Main aim of
JuQUEEN is to
realistic model of
the human brain.
Uploading Human Brain
• By use of small robots called ‘Nanobots’.
• Small enough to travel through our circulatory
• Monitors the activity and structure of our central
nervous system by travelling into spine and brain.
Nanobots could also carefully scan
the structure of our brain,
providing a complete readout of
This information, when entered
into a computer, could then
continue to function as us.
Thus the data stored in the entire
brain will be uploaded into the
Uploading Human Brain
will be used
the death of
Human beings will
be misused by
At the end, we will be able
to transfer ourselves to
computer. This may give
answers to lot of
unanswered questions in
Neurology or even help in
curing number of
neurological diseases. If the
proper fundings are
received, we will have a
BLUE BRAIN in 2023.