• Fresh peas are consumed as vegetable
• Peas are mostly grown for dry seeds
• Consumed in fresh form and various processed
forms like freezed, canned etc.
• It is rich source of carbohydrates, proteins,
vitamins[A,C &B-complex] ,Ca & Mg.
• It is used in genetic studies.
ORIGIN & DISTRIBUTION
• Origin: Southwest Asia & Northeast Africa
• Distribution: it is cool season crop, grown all
over the world, but widely grown in USA,
Mexico, China, & Medeterranian countries.
• Kingdom : Plantae
• Division : Magnoliophyta
• Class : Magnoliospida
• Order : Fabales
• Subfamily : Faboideae
• Tribe : Vicieae
• Genus : Pisum
• Species : sativum
• It is having typical papilionaceous flower
• Flower consists of 5 sepals[fused],5 petals
comprising of one standard, two wings & two
keel petals[boat shaped].
• Androecium consists of 10 stamens, the
filaments of 9 fused at the base to form the
staminal column & one free[diadelphous].
• Gynoecium consists of a pistil with style
borne laterally on the ovary.
• Chasmogamous flower.
• Stigma becomes receptive 1-2 days earlier to
flower opening .
• Anthers dehiscence takes place just before
• The stigma is covered with full of pollen grains
at the time of flower opening.