Van Raam, manufacturer of special needs bikes. Van Raam produces uniquely special needs bicycles and specializes in tricycles, scooterbikes, wheelchair bikes, tandem bikes, double rider bikes, low step trough bikes and transport bikes or cargo bikes.
Van Raam manufacturer in special needs bikes (2020)
Van Raam – Manufacturer of special needs bikes | 6 december 2019
Manufacturer of special needs bikes
1. Van Raam throughout the years
2. Why did Van Raam start making special needs bikes?
3. About Van Raam (mission & vision, Van Raam as an innovative company, awards)
4. Production process
5. Our product range
6. Van Raam Pedal support
7. Van Raam E-Bike app
8. Step-by-step plan on how to purchase a special needs bike
10. User experiences
11. Where do you meet Van Raam
12. Van Raam online
Van Raam throughout the years
• 1910: started by H. Van Raam and Sons in Amsterdam
• 1972: moved from Amsterdam to Aalten
• 1984: acquisition by P. Boezel
• 1986: production of the first special needs bike
• 1991: Ronald Ruesink joins Van Raam, focusing more and
more on the production of adapted bicycles.
• 1993: Marjolein Boezel joins Van Raam
• 1998: Jan-Willem Boezel joins Van Raam
• 2001: Marjolein, Jan-Willem and Ronald take over the
• 2004: moved to Varsseveld, 40 employees, 4500m2
• 2014: more than 90 employees, 8000 bikes every year,
6800 m2 production area
• 2018: more than160 employees
• 2019: moved to our new premises (1 km further), 13.500
m2 production area, canteen for 250 employees
• An acquaintance of Mr. Boezel had a brain haemorrhage in 1986.
• Mr. Boezel was asked to make a bicycle for balance problems.
• The special needs bike was received with great enthusiasm.
• The request for customized bicycles continued to rise.
• To this day, Van Raam still produces special needs bikes.
Why did Van Raam start making special needs bikes?
• Global market leader in the production of special needs bikes
• 10.000 bicycles per year
• Bikes for limitations, balance problems and uncertainty
• A family business for over 100 years
• The entire production of the bikes takes place in Varsseveld (the
Mission and Vision Van Raam
“Van Raam offers sustainable and contemporary mobility to
people with a disability.”
“If people with a disability can be mobile and independent for a
longer time, they are happier. Van Raam wants to contribute to
the integration of people with disabilities in society. Let's all
Let’s all cycle!
Van Raam as an innovative company
• Collaboration with schools & Universities
• Innovation hub Innovar
• Welding robots
• Line production
• Powder coating
• Test bench
• Smart Industry & Working
• Internet of Things
• CSR (Corporate Social Responsibillity)
Innovation is rewarded
Tros Radar: “de Warme douche”
MKB Innovation top 100
Innovation award + GIO recognition for GoCab
Smart People Award (Koninklijke Metaalunie)
Oldest Dutch employee Henk Kluver (96) wins VW transportbus
Eurobike Gold Award for rickshaw bike Chat
Edit pipes Welding robotDesign
Picking parts Spoke machine
Assemble Final assembly
Manufacturing process from a special needs bike
• Bicycle, electrical bicycle and scooter bike
• You are still cycling
• Easily to switch between three different types of driving
• Possible to move without pedaling
• Suitable for people with a changing clinical picture
Why an Easy Go scooter bike ?
Why a tandem or side-by-side bike?
• Excercise and therapy at the same time
• Longer the ability to participate in traffic
• Experiencing the environment together
• Adjustability to independent cycling of each
• Detachable frame models easy to transport
• Easy step up
Why a rickschaw bike Chat?
• Environmentally friendly transport
• Longer participation in traffic
• Experiencing the surroundings together
on a bike
• No driving licence required
• Every ride is an adventure!
• Easy entry and exit
• Electric pedal support, also backwards
• Meets all legal (safety) requirements
• Cheaper than bus/taxi transport
• No driving license required
• Also possible by lease / rental agreement
• Environmentally friendly
Why a GoCab bicycle taxi for children?
Bikes with a low step through
Why a bike with a low step through?
• Unique, more ergonomic sitting position
• Both feet on the ground in a stationary position
• Low step through, forward pedaling position
• Safe drive away, safe stop
• Easily getting on- and off the bike
Why a City Walking aid?
• Increase mobility
• Relief joints
• Easy to take along
• No wheelchair or walker needed
• Motion and therapy
If a standard Van Raam bicycle with standard options does not yet meet the specifications of the
user, we make a special fully customized.
Shoulder control Panic brake Stand up tricycle
Most sold options
Mirror Direction indicator Lower leg fixation Crank shortener
Foot fixation Excentric crank
Baskets Walker holder bracketStick holder Wheelchair holder
Gear lever RAL-colors
Cube package Slim package
• Silent: Almost noiseless motor:
- Starting aid / launch control
- Cycling forwards and backwards
- Personal adjustable support
• Also extra powerful HT version
• Range between 30 and 200 km; determine the range, including
speed, sort of pavement, wind, weight of the driver, tire inflation and
• Lithium ion accu’s of 11,2 12,4 of 24,8 Ampère/hour
• Pedal support is possible on all of our bikes, with in exception of the
Husky tricycle and the City walking aid.
Van Raam pedal support
Silent Silent HT
Van Raam E-Bike App
• Luxury bike computer
• Changing bike settings via
• Sending SOS messages with GPS
• View current bike data such as speed,
distance, battery capacity
‘My Van Raam’ portal:
• Via the Van Raam website app users
can access an online portal to view
cycling data, change profiles and view
Purchase special needs bike
There is a need Financing special needs bikeLook for information
Try out special need bikes Offer + delivery via dealer Enjoy cycling again!
Van Raam has various types of dealers across more than 21 countries:
• Handy for orienting
• Instructive for
Read more user
experiences on our Van
Dutch King Willem-Alexander cycles on Van Raam
side-by-side tandem Fun2Go
Where do you meet Van Raam?
• Online: website + social media
• Offline: Large (international) trade fairs and through initiatives by dealers
Van Raam online
Look for more information, experiences and videos: