How effective is
gamification for learners?
Question answered by Vance Stevens
For EFLtalks Answers 10x10
Sunday, Feb 21, 2016
And Learning2gether Episode #320 http://learning2gether.net
How effective is gamification for learners?
This is a difficult question to answer because we have to first answer …
• What is gamification? (important distinction, as opposed to playing games)
• What does the literature say?
• What does it feel like?
• You can Google for the first answer (the literature)
• My interest is in how you can find out what it feels like
What does the literature say? (2 examples)
• Gee, J.P. (2008) “Learning and games.” The ecology
of games: Connecting youth, games, and learning. Edited
by Katie Salen. The John D. and Catherine T.
MacArthur Foundation Series on Digital Media
and Learning. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press.
(pp. 21-40). Available:
Hanging - Messing - Geeking
out, around, out
• Ito et al. (2010) available as a free ebook
Characterizes the stages through which gamers
go in approaching games, from observing what’s
going on in the game to getting creative with it.
What is gamification? (not just playing games)
Learning thru teamwork and mutual
Meeting challenges, achieving YOUR
goals, whatever they are
Slides from http://www.slideshare.net/vances/a-convergence-of-minecraft-and-clil-57860221
How can teachers experience gamification?
Play, practice, and
join a community
such as EVO
What happens? Experiencing Gamification
The #evomc16 secret … sshh (don’t tell)
Slide from http://www.slideshare.net/vances/a-convergence-of-minecraft-and-clil-57860221
What does it feel like?
• The 'aha' moment occurs when the players succeed and realize that if what
they were trying to teach were placed in such a context, it would not only
become more engaging to the learners, but their students would be taking
their own learning into their own hands.
• This can create a powerful learning environment, and educators need to
experience it for themselves in order to understand its implications.
From : Networking, and playing the Big G Game of EVO Minecraft MOOC
What does it look like?
Photos at: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/112993649763396826671
What more can I say (in only 10 minutes)?