Hive NYC Project Learning Lab: The LAMP presentation
Break the Super Bowl
● The LAMP has been hosting Break the Super Bowl
event the last 5 years.
● During the event students:
○ View the Super Bowl commercials.
○ Learn how to deconstruct commercial
○ Play games, like bingo and trivia.
○ Compete for prizes.
○ Create critical breaks, transforming the
commercials and talking back to the messages.
● Completed breaks are published to YouTube.
● Hundreds of students and adults have participated.
● But how do we get students and other organizations in
NYC and nationally to participate? How do we create
a critical mass?
● The LAMP is creating a digital toolkit that can be shared with
organizations, community centers, and educators, in order for Break-a-
Thons to happen all over the country.
● The toolkit will include event plans, lesson plans, program materials,
educational resources, and technology guidelines.
● The LAMP will also be expanding our Break-a-Thons to other events
(VMAs, Academy Awards) and populations.
● How do we craft a digital toolkit that’s complete, but digestible, and
also captures the fun and excitement of our past events?
Break the VMAs
● Two events held in August
○ Flushing YMCA
○ Vanderbilt YMCA
● Over 40 students participated
● Students learned how music
videos are constructed and
what messages they
● Games and Prizes
○ Critical Bingo
● Students created critical music
● Completed breaks were
published on YouTube.
● The LAMP tweeted videos,
images and quotes during
MTV VMA event, August 30.
Next Steps & Challenges
● Distributing rough draft and
● Identifying next event and partner
● Production Design and Layout ● Identifying potential audiences for
● Understanding needs of potential
● Getting people excited about
critical remix and challenging
these large, cultural media events