Successfully reported this slideshow.
Activate your 14 day free trial to unlock unlimited reading.
Copyright and Commons
• Copyright laws vary from
country to country.
• However, as scholars we do
have a model for using
• Follow your best practices
1. use appropriate amount
2. credit through
either inside the video or
alongside in text that
• FREE ARCHIVES!
• Internet Archive
• Library of Congress Digital Collections
• U Minnesota Digital Library Guide (great site for multiple resources
• Open Culture
• Critical Commons
• UBUWEB -- Experimental Art Archive
• Freedom archives (audio archives on local, national, international social
• UC Berkeley Social Activism Sound Recording, Black Panther Party
• !W.A.R. Women Art Revolution, Lynn Hershmann Leeson’s Stanford
archive on founding of women’s 70s art movement
• And RAWWAR: Community Curated Archive inspired by !WAR
• Free Sound
• Free Music Archive
• Google Drive great place to store and review
• Google Docs within Google Drive – good for
notes, writing or store links of video for
• Also Dropbox – good for storage. Like Google
Drive lots of space for free!
Rip, Convert, + other Resources
FREE WEB RIPPING TOOLS
• Firefox add ons: Easy Youtube Video Downloader and Flash Video Downloader (for
• And Video Download Helper other sites, not YouTube (ex. Vimeo)
• Chrome extensions: Video DownloadHelper, Getthemall, VideoDownloader Pro
for anything other than YouTube
• OR put SS in front of youtube in the browser (http:SSyoutube.com/watch) In
Chrome and Safari, hit return and just download, no added software needed.
• Zamzar download or convert files online, not YouTube
• Medio.io convert audio files
FREE DVD RIPPING TOOLS:
FREE EDITING AND CONVERTING MATERIAL
• MPEG STREAMCLIP
FREE RIGHTS CLEARED MUSIC
• Free Play Music
Easy YouTube Video Downloader: MP4 file (Firefox)
Have many tools ready for ripping – need be resourceful and flexible!
VideoDownload Helper (Firefox)
(Vimeo or other non Youtube Sites)
In Safari and Chrome
grab YouTube Videos
by adding SS right
before the word
YouTube in browser.
A new window will pop
up with download.
You don’t need the
Just hit download.
Voilà! (and you get
better quality file)
Screen Capture (Camtasia, Screenflow or
WeVideo is another almost free option)
Grabbing Images: Google, right click after finding good file size
720 x 480 is ideal, medium to large file size, search settings
Pixlr grabber is free and allows you to edit before saving; it is a
Chrome + Firefox add on. Pixlr.com is free photo-editing
Grab and Crop
images also with SnapNdrag works with Mac, free
Can select how much you want – can also set up for timed selection
File storage for
all possible project(s)
Project Folder, contains
files for specific project
These will be connected
START PROJECT: OPEN PREMIERE
from desktop or applications
Project Bin, bottom left
Where the materials are imported and stored
Also not next to Project Tab is Effects Tab
Upper left, where you preview
materials you have brought
clip viewer, top right,
where you view your
Timeline, bottom right
where you make all the edits
Add Transitions through Effects Area (lower
Go to FILE > EXPORT > MEDIA – if media is greyed out be sure you
have selected the clip or preview window
Exporting your Video
On UPPER RIGHT -- Format should be h.264 and right beneath select preset setting with
29.97 that fits your project. Frame rate should be 29.97 Make sure in LOWER LEFT that you
are exporting your entire area or sequence and the work area is marked correctly in your
If you click in sequence area you can title your project!
Be sure you have a unique title for your file and for your video.
Do not use spaces and only alphanumeric for title: MyPeaceProject
• To YouTube, Internet Archive, Vimeo, etc, can be public or private
• To Google Drive, public, limited, or private sharing
• External Device, usb or hard drive (copy and paste)
• If not finished and no external drive you can save and upload project
file to google drive (compress first with right click)
• Or email it to yourself via WeTransfer (don’t need account, 2G
emailed to you). Again, if not finished, compress first!
• Premiere -- 30 day free trial. It also has advantages of general file
mellowness and fewer rendering interruptions.
• Camtasia also 30 day free trial
Four quick tips for non-nirvana editing moments:
1. If for some reason you can’t find your workspace set up and looks weird, go to
Window>reset workspace (Editing)
1. If you can’t find tools, then go to Window>Tools (anything else MIA, check this
1. If your video plays haltingly or won’t play and has redline at top of timeline, hit
return to render
1. If for some reason you forgot to put all media in correct folder. And you get a
MEDIA OFFLINE RED CARD, do not panic. Simply MOVE file to your project
folder & RELINK by clicking on missing file in the PROJECT WINDOW then
PROJECT>LINK MEDIA and Link to Project Folder
OR if file is completely MIA just skip for now, then retrieve and re-link once you have
found/recaptured and stored in your project file (and reopen the file. Premiere will
ask you to where it is when you reopen).
**Note: If you only work on your very own computer, re-linking is obviously quite easy
(and everything need not be in one folder), but once you move around computers –
and working on public computers that get scrubbed file/folder management is absolutely crucial.
In any case you should always back up your work through external drive or other storage
possibilities mentioned like google drive).
Go to YouTube, Vimeo, Internet Archive etc to upload your exported
Added title and a description (in support of my commons/fair use
rights). Here is a good place also to add citations or references.
Select Share for multiple ways to distribute your video. Via share you can
generate an embed code. Copy this code and paste for use on your website and
drop in via html tab.