Stanford Study (2016)
The report covered news literacy, as well as students' ability to judge Facebook and Twitter
feeds, comments left in readers' forums on news sites, blog posts, photographs and other
digital messages that shape public opinion.
Despite their fluency with social media, many students are unaware of basic conventions
for indicating verified digital information.
Students…had a hard time distinguishing advertisements from news articles or identifying
where information came from.
● Real world problem
● Clear guidance and list of tasks
● Learning outcomes explained
Sample PBL Activity
● Do pharmaceuticals in our water supply pose a health risk?
○ Brainstorming keywords (5-10 min)
○ Searching for information / sources (30 min)
○ Share answers and research process (5 min per group)
■ Students given question prompts to help them identify
important skills and steps.
● Use multiple activities across a semester or year to build skill
levels and conceptual awareness.
● Activities can be SHORT (let your teachers know you do not
need to take up an entire class period).
● Use a common theme or subject matter to tie them together