United States History
Historians have traditionally labeled
the period after the War of 1812 the
“Era of Good Feelings.” Evaluate the
accuracy of this label, considering
the emergence of nationalism and
The Era of Good feelings is not an
accurate label of the period after
the war of 1812, because conflicts
due to the introduction of
industry to the economy, the
growing disunion between the
citizens, and the disagreements in
Disagreement within American
Rise of industry
Growing disunion between
• Document D – The powers of the states and the
Federal government are being questioned in allowing
deciding over the incorporation of the Bank.
•Document H – Conflict between John Quincy Adams
and James Monroe, since Adams as Monroe’s
Secretary of State found disagreements with the
President, and many foreign issues involving Great
Britain was always a concern.
•Document I – The people’s political beliefs were the
same in the election of 1820, where they appealed to
James Monroe, and in 1824 their presidential concerns
became more immense, and a strong race was
generated between John Q. Adams and Andrew
• The rising political clashes within the
Democratic-Republican Party, example:
the “Corrupt Bargain,” Marshall and the
Courts, and etc.
• Jackson’s Victory, and the separate
Political parties that were created.
• Decisions of the Supreme Court were
highly nationalistic and gave the federal
government more power in regulating the
economy which was opposed by those
who did not agree with centralization or
Disagreements over decisions
made by Congress and the
powers given to them led to
distrust and displeasure with the
• Document A –Due to the war of 1812, the people fell under poor
conditions since many taxes were put onto the American people after
• The Panic of 1819-As a result of bank banking, foreclosures, and
unemployment, the country fell into a depression that lasted for six
• Tariff of Abominations (Tariff of 1828)-A protective tariff passed in
order to protect the Northern industry. This tariff had damaging
effects on the Southern economy.
• Gibbons V. Ogden-The Supreme Court of the United States held that
the power to regulate interstate commerce was granted to Congress.
• Cotton Gin-The invention led to an increase in the need for slave
- West-roads, canals, and federal aid
- North-protective tariffs from the West
- South-plantations, cotton, slaves
The North and West benefited financially
from many laws and taxes while the same
laws and taxes were damaging to the
The Southern need for slave labor resulted
in the sectionalism between the North and
• Document B – John Calhoun takes account that the United
States is currently undergoing expansion, and encourages that
through the creation of roads and canals can the country preserve
• Document C – American society comes together in celebrating
the Fourth of July, in which Pennsylvania is seen as a thriving city
and many people come together in celebrating the nationalistic
pride that is growing throughout the United States.
• Document E – The growth of the population is expanding
throughout the United States in 1820, where the population is
clearly larger in the Northeast and there is an increase in
population in the west.
• Document F – Thomas Jefferson expresses his concern
for the sudden line that is appearing between the north
and the south, where he sees a separation of beliefs.
• Missouri Compromise acts as an example of the
disunion between the North and the South.
• Tariff of Abominations provides another example of
growing sectionalism since the separation between
North and South became more apparent due to the
negative effects on the economy of the South.
• Sectionalism- loyalty to the interests of one’s own
region or section of the country, rather than the country
as a whole.
Growing sectionalism helped divide the
North and the South who were divided in
Through the increase in population, the
United States saw a large form of
sectionalism unfolding within the nation
due to the overwhelming population in the
North and less attention to the South, and
the different forms of nationalistic pride that
was expressed either in the South or in the
Politically there were no opposing beliefs,
since the only existing party was the
Period of nationalism emerged, where
great pride for the United States arose.
Growth in white settlement and trade in the
Economic expansion occurring throughout
the United States.
Address the argument that the Era Good
Feelings due to these Political, Social,
Economic conflicts that has arisen. (Might
The Importance of why this era was not
truly the “Era of Good Feelings.”
Readdress the Clinchers, and their