A strong user adoption strategy is the foundation for fostering growth and being proactive against churn. UserIQ’s CEO, Rachel Orston, laid out the fundamentals of user adoption and what changes as you scale at SaaStr Annual 2018.
You can find the recording of Rachel's presentation on UserIQ's User Adoption Toolkit: http://bit.ly/2phKSS4
THE FUNDAMENTALS OF
What Changes and What Doesn't as You Scale
WHO AM I?
➔ CEO, USERIQ
➔ Native Californian...Moved to ATL in 1994
➔ 4th Startup, Last one (Silverpop), sold to IBM in 2014
➔ Two kids in Middle School. 146 days left until it’s over.
➔ Married to a Divorce Attorney - 17 yrs strong*
Customer Success + Product Management:
THE MARRIAGE OF WHY AND WHAT
THE GREAT DIVIDE
The Great Divide
of respondents said that
Customer Success Teams were
solely responsible for onboarding
and other customer journey
More than 80%
of teams work in separate
applications or spreadsheets
More than 70%
of Product Managers spend
little to no facetime with
THE REALITIES OF ALIGNMENT:
Respondents said the most
important factor in creating
alignment was understanding
customer needs (88%)
Respondents felt least aligned
on who their ideal customer
actually is (55%)
EXAMPLE WOW MOMENT
Is my trial in-app onboarding driving the right feature adoption and conversion?
Create a SegmentName a Feature
How active are my users?
What features are my users
interacting with most?
What features are most indicative
of stickiness during onboarding
What features are most likely
to convert a free user to paid
THE PRODUCT MANAGEMENT USER FLOW
at least 1
THE CUSTOMER SUCCESS USER FLOW
Trial to Paid
MERGE YOUR EFFORTS
at least 1
“Just Got Paid”
“You did WHAT?!”
“No, you didn’t….!”
FOCUS YOUR EFFORTS
1. How long does it take to get to Wow!? (Time to Wow!)
2. Can we shorten the number of steps required to get to Wow!?
3. What is the drop-out rate of users on their way to Wow!?
4. Which step in the process has the highest drop-out rate?
5. Why are users failing at that step, and can this be addressed?
6. Is the Wow! moment clear and strong enough?
7. What is the Wow! to Work Ratio?
8. Are different buyers interested in seeing different Wow! moments?
David Skok: “Growth Hacking: Creating a Wow Moment”
MOMENTS OF TRUTH
1. Major turning points in the relationship
3. Unexpected Delight