9 BFUG Conference - Guide to Federal Agencies Brochure


Published on

Published in: Education
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

9 BFUG Conference - Guide to Federal Agencies Brochure

  1. 1. INTERESTED IN GOING ORGANIC? Any farmer, no matter how big or small, can be certified as organic by the USDA. Visit the links below to find out more about the certification process and who to contact for more information. • USDA - Organic Certification Factsheet: http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile? dDocName=STELDEV3004346 • USDA - Guide for Organic Crop Producers: http://www.ams.usda.gov/ AMSv1.0/getfile? dDocName=STELPRDC5101542 • MSU Organic Farming Exchange: http:// www.michiganorganic.msu.edu/ michiganorganic/organic_certification Farmers who earn a profit of less than $5,000 from organic agricultural products annually may be exempt from the organic certification process but can choose to be certified anyway. To learn more about voluntary certification for exempt farms, visit: OTHER PRACTICUM PUBLICATIONS: For basic legal information on urban food, farm and agriculture, visit the practicum’s webpage: http://www.law.msu.edu/clinics/ food/index.html. Publications available on the website include: Starting An Agricultural Or Food-Based Business Guide To Agricultural Employment And Volunteer Laws A GUIDE TO NAVIGATING FEDERAL AGENCIES Potential Legal Liability In Farm-To-School Programs Food System Agency Scan • Organic.About.Com - Organic Certification Exemption: http:// organic.about.com/od/organiccertification/ tp/11-Frequently-Asked-Questions-AboutOrganic-Certification-Exemption.htm OUR LOCATION AND CONTACT INFORMATION: MSU Legal Clinic 610 Abbot Rd. East Lansing, MI 48823 517-336-8088 517-336-8089 fax clinic@law.msu.edu MSU College of Law Urban Food, Farm & Agriculture Practicum
  2. 2. Do you need to place labels on your food products? - Do you sell less than 100,000 items a year? - Do you employ less than 100 full-time employees? - Do you have gross sales of less than $500,000 a year? If you answered NO to the above questions, then you do not need to place labels on your food products. For more information, visit: www.fda.gov. Federal Agencies: Who They Apply to & How They Can Help FOOD & DRUG ADMINISTRATION (FDA): FOOD AND NUTRITION SERVICE (FNS): www.fda.gov www.fns.usda.gov/fns/services.htm - Applies to ALL food products except meat, poultry, and processed egg products - Regulates food safety and nutritional labeling Center for Disease Control (CDC): www.cdc.gov/foodsafety - Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity, & Obesity funds state programs designed to address obesity and chronic disease problems - In MI, see www.michigan.gov/preventobesity U.S. DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE (USDA): www.usda.gov WHO WE ARE: Students of Michigan State University College of Law participating in the Urban Food, Farm & Agriculture Practicum offer a variety of legal services to nonprofit organizations and low-income individuals working with urban agriculture in Detroit Michigan and other urban settings. The practicum is part of MSU Law’s Legal Clinic. - Applies to ALL meat, poultry, and processed egg products - Includes Agricultural Marketing Service and the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service FARM SERVICES AGENCY (FSA): www.fsa.usda.gov - Provides information about disaster assistance, farm loans, and related programs for family-sized farms - Provides information about the Child & Adult Care Free Program, Commodity Supplemental Food Program, Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program, Fresh Fruit & Vegetable Program, National School Lunch Program, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (food stamps), and Emergency Food Assistance Program ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY (EPA): http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/ - Governs pesticide use on farms of all sizes, including the registration, distribution, sale, and use of legal pesticides