Work EthicsDr. Khalid I. Al-Dossaryunlimitedinspiration@gmail.comPresented By :
Designed and wrote the Effective IslamicEnglish cross-cultural communication skillsprogram (Dialogue& Communication skill;Presentation & Discussion skills) A 32-hourprogram . Translated “A Model for the Muslim Youth inthe Story of Joseph from the Arabic toEnglish- Authored by Dr. M. Shakir Saeedpublished by WAMY (World Assembly ofMuslim Youth) Developing Potential leaders through QualityLearningNote: The language of delivery hasalways been English.A series of cultural awareness papers /lectures/workshops
Developing Global and Ethical leaders The Art of Facilitation Effective Islamic English Cross-Communication Skills workshop The Sincere search for the TruthA series of cultural awareness papers /lectures/workshops Designed “ Islamic Culture at Glance”“ How to be an Islamic Exhibit on the Move ” “Improve Your Cross-cultural communication skillsfor Islamic Tour Guides.Note: The language of delivery has alwaysbeen English.
Presented the Lessons learned from “A Model for theMuslim Youth in the Story of Joseph” (a 2-partpresentation) Volunteerism ; Islamic Perspective. The Precious Jewels The magnetic character How Can We Win hearts The Art of presenting You Islamic Culture 50 tips in boosting confidence and overcomingshyness. Work Ethics; Islamic Perspective. What Does Islam Stand for? A lecture and a workshop Wrote a pamphlet called “ The tears of Finding theTruth through the Internet”; it’s available on some of theIslamic websites Wrote a pamphlet called “From Father to Son” inEnglish and Arabic; the purpose of which is to addressand orientate those students studying abroad.Note: The language of delivery has always been English.A series of cultural awareness papers /lectures/workshops
Ethics (Dictionary Definition)Principles of right or goodconduct.Ethics are the rules orstandards governing theconduct of the members ofa profession.
Islam is a comprehensive word comprising deedsand words that Allah loves and is pleased withAl-Bara bin `Azib (May Allah be pleased with them) said:Messenger of Allah (PBUH) asked me to recite whenever I go to bed:O Allah! I have submitted myself to You, I have turned my face toYou, entrusted my affairs to You; and committed my back to You out ofdesire for You and fear of You; expecting Your reward and fearing Yourpunishment. There is no refuge and no place of safety from You but withYou. I believe in the Book You have revealed and in the Prophet You havesent. Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said that if anyone recited these wordsand died that night, he would die in the true religion. In case he remainsalive till morning, he will obtain good. [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].
(Al-Isra 17:170-172)And indeed We have honoured the Children ofAdam, and We have carried them on land andsea, and have provided them with At-Taiyibat(lawful good things), and have preferred themabove many of those whom We have createdwith a marked preference.
SDLT SOIL: Clean, fertilize & sow seedsGrow,prune&reapCompetenciesPrepared & developed by Khalid I. Al-Dossary
1. Allah has made work an act ofworship “Work, as everyone hasbeen directed easily to do whathe has been created for.”2. God-consciousness is the highestmoral quality of a Muslim.3. Allah says, “And you (stand) onan exalted standard ofcharacter.” The need for goodrole models linked to the bestexample.Underpinning Principles
4. “The role model can implant inthe employees from goodmannerism what tens ofeducators can never do.”5. Ethics are hidden provisionswith which Allah has blessedthose who wear them. Ethicsare the best provisions for theemployees.6. “A deed of one can influence athousand, whereas the sayingsof a thousand can influencenone.”
7. The discipline, strength, wisdom andthe ability to take the right decision bythe one in charge have the greatestinfluence on the followers.8. Allah says. “Hire him, truly the best ofmen for you to employ is the (man)strong and trustworthy.”9. The strong in his belief, acts ofworship, conduct, manners, work,productive capability, and body andhealth. The honest and trustworthy inall of these.
10. The trustworthiness, self-confidence and strength ofthe individual to take over ahigh position are veryessential.11. Omar used to say, “How wouldyou react if I were to employover you the best to myknowledge, then I wouldcommand him to be just. Doyou think that I have fulfilled myduty? They said, „ Yes‟, He said:„No, till I see if he has actedupon my commands or not.‟ ”12. Every one of you is a shepherd
1- Learn & apply the Tawheed(Monotheism) by sincerelyworshipping the One and Onlywithout associating or settingany partner with Allah.2- Know the attributes of Allah;The All-Seeing, The All-Hearing,The All-Aware, The All-Knowing,The Greatest of All, TheIncomparable….3- Be loyal to Allah and HisMessenger first and foremost,then to the ones in charge.
4- Perform the prescribed prayersand the other four pillars of Islam.This leads to piety, humbleness.5- Say and direct people to what isright. In addition, tell them toabstain from doing any forbiddenact.6- The real boss for the employeemust be his fear of Allah and thenhis conscience.Allah‟s Rights
7- Increase acts ofworship, like prayers andfasting as much aspossible to refine themanners and purify thesoul. Hence, a goodcharacter is shaped thatwould radiate light offaith. The blessings willbe showered on them8- Remember Allah allthe time, say “In the nameof Allah” at the beginningand “Praise be to Allah”
1. Fulfill work contracts. Abide by therules and the regulations of work solong as they do not contravene therules and laws of Allah. “There is noobedience for any man in disobeyingthe Creator.”2. Treat the property of the organizationresponsibly. Take good care of it.Don‟t abuse anything. For instance,don‟t abuse the telephone.3. Be punctual It is a commendable actand a sign of not betraying the trustand violating the contracts.
4- Stay away from wasting timelike talking a lot and spying oneach other.5- Keep the secrets of work orcolleagues.6- Submit initiatives orsuggestions to improve work andto achieve quality.7- Act professionally, no matterwhat the circumstances are.8- Keep the trust and protect it.Be dutiful.
9 - Do not harm , nor accept harm to beinflicted on others. For example,smoking is forbidden. But if someonesmokes, he should be considerate enoughnot smoke in the offices or in front of hiscolleagues.10 - Sit in a respectable, humble andappropriate way that fits the workingplace.11- Be conscious of the time at work andutilize it in the best way.12 - Stop moving from one office to theother to engage in useless talk, rumorsand trivialities.
13 - Avoiding favoritism,partisanship, spying, lying andfinally injustice.14 - Be wary of falling into thedisease of Re’ya, showing off andbelittling others to stand out.15 - Be wary of attributingsomebody’s work to yourself toget the credit from the boss for ajob you did not do.16 - Stay away from bribery andtaking advantage of yourposition; do not abuse yourposition.
17 - Fulfill duties withoutbeing dragged behind bythe lazy ones.18 - Remember thepositive things and donot be negative.19 - Be wary of huntingfor mistakes.
4. Respect people and give them theirdue rights.5. Ordain good and forbid evil. Give theproper advice at the right time.6. Learn the etiquette of speech; talk topeople according to their level ofunderstanding by using the rightregister with the individual. “Placepeople in their proper “status.”7. Recognize God’s favors on the people,refrain from being envious andvengeful.
Society and CommunityRights12. Be byparticipating in the charitable deedsfor the community, the country andthe Muslim Ummah at large.13. Give the to those incharge without any hesitation anddon’t fear that provision will be cutoff as Allah is the Sole Provider.with wisdom, gentleness and mostimportantly with the best mannerism.
Society and CommunityRights15.Be merciful to the youngand take care of the elderly.16. Visit the sick.
Colleagues’ Rights1. Be considerate of your colleaguesand what they go through. Consolethem in their sadness and sharethem in their joys.2. Share information with the othersto make sure that they couldachieve the objectives of theorganization.3. Strengthen the spirit of teamwork;socialize and hold inside andoutside work activities.4. Control yourself and do not insult orcurse or utter any foul language.
Personal Rights1. Be in words anddeeds to your Lord, yourself,colleagues and community atlarge.2. Always(supplications) so that Allah willbless your work and protect youfrom falling into sins, and alsofrom those who have illintentions.3. Take care of your(mind, body and soul).
“ Say ( OMuhammad):“Verily, my Salat(prayer) , mysacrifice, my living
He has started with the Greatness of Allah, which include the existence ofAllah and His perfection He followed it with Tawheed (Monotheism) and the negation of associatingor setting partners with Allah In it is the confirmation of the Message of Muhammad, may the blessingsand peace be upon him. Then, He calls to specified obedience “Prayers” after the Testimony (as it isnot known except through the messenger). Next, He calls to success (Falah), which is the permanent, stay indicating theinevitable Return. Finally, He repeats for emphasis sake.
Your NameLeadership“Leadershipis communicatingpeople’s worth and potentialso clearly that theyare inspired to seeit in themselves.”
Learning is Being!Method CharacterLecture 5 %Reading 10 %Audio Visuals 20 %Demonstration 30 %Group Discussion 50 %Practice by Saying & Doing 75 %Teaching Others 90 %90 %Prepared & developed by Khalid I. Al-DossaryMethods of Learning
Reflective LearningEthical LearningIntellectual LearningContinual LearningFeeling LearningExpressive LearningCreative LearningSelf-Directed LearningSpiritual LearningLearning as a Way of Being, Peter Vaill, 1996On-Line LearningGodConsciousSpiritualLearningEthicalLearning
Leadership and learning are indispensible to each otherJohn F. Kennedy
1. Shared vision: the collective will that emanates fromconviction and commitment to a common cause2. Mental models: challenging assumptions and views of thecurrent reality3. Team learning: the synergetic power of working together4. Personal mastery: the ability to create desired resultsthrough self-discovery and commitment to connectlearning to organizational work5. Systems thinking: understanding the whole, not just partsShared VisionMental ModelsTeam LearningPersonal MasterySystems Thinking
Developing Global & Ethical LeadersKhalid I. Al-Dossaryunlimitedinspiration@gmail.com
A cafe experience on board the ship Refreshments provided Social atmosphere An open & effectiveinterchange of ideas Improved communication A special brainstorming session A productive working experience Conducted in a relaxedenvironment Cross-cultural interface
Team Etiquette & AgreementWork productivelyListen attentivelyAllow all the right tosucceedLet everyone participatePractice appreciationAvoid “put-downs”Practice mutual respect