• Thums Up has launched an extensive campaign this
Durga Puja to enhance the spirit of the celebrations by
unveiling two iconic 25 ft tall Dhaki at the famed
“Deshopriya Park” and Lake Town Adhibashi Brindo
pandal in Kolkata.
• The installation which is part of the „Aamader Pujo‟
campaign has been created by Kolkata‟s renowned artist
Piyali Sadhukhan, using Thums Up currency such as
bottles, caps, labels etc.
• The result was the larger-than-life installation
representing a traditional puja drummer, a typical symbol
of the festival.
• Covered with a huge drape, the piece of art was left to
public imagination till the D-Day of unveiling. After
almost 30 days of work, the structure has been finally
unveiled for all to see on the eve of Durga Puja.
• Bearing in mind the great sense of pride and deep
devotion of all Bengalis, Thums Up decided to undertake
this special initiative this year.
• „Amader Pujo‟ is Thums Up‟s way of paying a tribute to
the spirit of Bengal and an effort to make it even more
• The larger-than-life „Dhaki installation at outdoor was
matched by a scintillating performance by one of
Kolkata‟s most loved and renowned rock band, Cactus
and famous Bengali cinestar Abir Chatterjee.
• Thums Up has brought together the entire Bengali
community to participate in this grand festival in a unique
way – contributing to one magnificent Durga Puja
• This awe-inspiring 25 feet tall Dhaki which is a result of
the collective effort of Kolkattans, is an appropriate
reflection of the bonding that takes place during the
• The brand invited consumers across the city to deposit
Thums Up currency, such as bottles, caps, labels in drop
boxes installed at select locations. The currency was then
collected and handed over to artist Piyali Sadhukhan to
create her magic.
The Man behind the “AMADER PUJO”
concept – Mr.Debabrata Mukherjee, VP
Marketing and Commercial, Coca Cola India.
• How big is West Bengal as a market for Thums Up?
Bengal is one of the largest markets for Thums Up and
Durga Puja is one of the significant contributors to the
sales of the brand.
The key intent behind this initiative to derive long-term
impact, build, and further strengthen the emotional
connect with the loyal consumers.
• Duration of the campaign?
Started the activation on 18 September and will go on till
20 October 2013.
• The flow of the marketing campaign?
Through the campaigns they have tried to connect with
the consumers at an emotional level. The core consumer
insight around this idea is that every individual takes
pride in showcasing their devotion towards the festival.
Thums Up leverages this insight by urging the people of
Bengal to unleash the „Thunder within‟ and make this the
biggest pujo celebration of West Bengal.
• Any TVCs accompanying the initiative?
The on-ground activity is being amplified across multiple
consumer touch points including social
media, OOH, radio and experiential sampling.
• Which local media vehicles had Thums Up used to
highlight the marketing initiative?
The RJs of the radio partner Radio Mirchi have been
urging consumers of Kolkata to contribute Thums Up
crowns, caps, bottles or cans to make these iconic Pujo
Consumers also contributed through the Thums Up
Facebook page by liking „Amader Pujo‟ posts.
Consumers also experienced this idea „live‟ on a canter
by contributing Thums Up crowns, caps, bottles or cans
to create murals around the festival of Durga Puja.
These consumer experiences were shared on the digital
platform through the Thums Up Facebook and Twitter