What’s Social Media?
…and what is the big deal?
Guide To Get HR On The Frontlines Of Social Media
Ugur Arcan | August 19th, 2009
32-p1 by Zephyrance - don't wake me up (Flickr)
• Social Media and Social Networking
• Some Tools and Numbers!
• How Do Businesses Use It
• What Can We Do?
Social Media and Networking
• Social Media vs. Social Networking
– Social networking is only a sub-piece
Social Media in
Social media is like
‘word of mouth’
Glossary: Tools Mostly Talked About
• YouTube: Platform for sharing videos.
• Facebook: A social networking platform where users can share stories,
pictures, audio, video, etc. of self or others’ with other “facebookers”.
• LinkedIn: A professional networking platform where you can make
professional connections and share your professional background, travel
details, presentations, etc.
• Blogs: Personalized websites maintained by an individual or groups with
regular entries of commentary, descriptions of events, or other material
such as graphics or video and receive feedback.
• Twitter: A real-time micro-blogging tool and channel where “tweeps”
share any kind of information with their followers and follow others to
receive information via their “tweets”.
– Older idea, newer technology and tool!
“Not So Complete” Evolution of Online Social Communication & Conversations
Key Points of Social Media
Key Element: Conversation!
Sourcing vs. Networking
Go to the candidate. Have candidate come
Start the effort all over to you.
each time! Continuous process of
Now… Some Numbers!
• 3 of 4 Americans use social technology.
• 2 of 3 of the global internet population visit social networks.
• 93% of Americans believe a company should have a presence
in social media
• 85% believe a company should not only be present but also
interact with its consumers via social media
• 56% of American consumers feel both a stronger connection
with and better served by companies when they can interact
with them in a social media environment.
Forrester, The Growth Of Social Technology Adoption, 2008
Nielsen, Global Faces & Networked Places, 2009
Cone Business in Social Media Study, 2008
If Facebook were a country,
it would be the 8th most
populated in the world, just
ahead of Japan.
-Mark Zuckerberg (founder and CEO of
Facebook), January 7, 2009
How Do Businesses Use It
1. Public Relations
2. Customer Service
3. Loyalty Building*
7. Customer Acquisition (Marketing)
8. Talent Attraction
9. Etc. etc. etc.
*Be the source of information. Hearing from Google before you wouldn’t help you build loyalty!
So, What Can We Do?
• Define: Why , Who , What , How?
• (Social) PR
• Human Resources
– Internal strategy dilemma: Generalists vs. Recruiters
– Mentality: ‘Another’ thing to do Part of Job Description Lifestyle
• How we attract talent is changing…
in Avg.: %
Staffing in “Internet Time” – CLC 2000
• Find out what your company is already doing…
– Great leverage!
How: Step By Step
This couldn't be more obvious than with email. Your company has a chance to turn its email list into a two-way
communication. Except that most mass emails from companies are "do not reply".
"We want to talk to you,“ they say. "But we don't want to hear back from you. Unless you want to place an order,
and if so click here."
3. Converse! Josh Bernoff, Why marketers have trouble with full-duplex social technology, June 30, 2009
– YOU SEE, IT’S SUPPOSED TO BE A DIALOGUE, NOT A MONOLOGUE.
Still Think Social Media Is a Fad?
Think Social Media Is a Fad?: http://bit.ly/RTzPe
• This is just the surface…
• Now, let’s have a conversation!
Resources and Thanks!
• Corporate Leadership Council –CLC (@CEB_CLC)
• “WTF Is Social Media” by Espresso - http://brandinfiltration.com/ (@mzkagan , @infiltrators)
• Webapalooza 2009 by Kohler Communications Department
• Forrester, The Growth Of Social Technology Adoption, 2008
• Nielsen, Global Faces & Networked Places, 2009
• Cone Business in Social Media Study, 2008
• http://theconversationprism.com/ (@briansolis)
• http://www.cheezehead.com/ (@cheezehead)
• Photos: nazdravie (iStock), mariamaria0101 (imgfave), edouard (flickr), *Zephyrance - don't wake me
up (flickr), tall fool (flickr)
• Twitter trend search:
• Social Media in Plain English:
• Think Social Media Is a Fad?: