Niagara Youth and Children Services – Going Social
What we’ll cover tonight
• A social media success story
• What is social media?
• How are people using it?
• What are the most popular tools?
• Case Studies
• The future of social media
• Q & A
• Over 50% of the world’s population is under 30-years-
• 96% of them have joined a social network.
• Facebook tops Google for weekly traffic in the U.S.
• The fastest growing segment on Facebook is 55-65
• 60 millions status updates happen on Facebook daily.
Social media enables people to share
opinions, insights and experiences on the
web using tools to connect, interact and
maintain and develop relationships.
What is social media?
How do I define social media?
I want to connect with people
to share my knowledge
Social Media X Factors
Connection | Self expression | Discovery
Control | Versatility | Influence
Who uses Social Media?
• Average age – over 50% are over 35
• Average income – over 50% have an income of
$50,000 or more – Twitter average income is
• 77% have some college education
• 79% of consumers who follow brands are more
likely to recommend a brand.
What does that mean for an you?
Social media users not only have
If you’re not there, you’re missing out.
What is Facebook?
Facebook is a social network.
A social network service is an online service,
platform, or site that focuses on building and
reflecting social networks or social
relations among people, e.g., who share
interests and/or activities.
What is Twitter?
Twitter is a social networking and microbloging
service, enabling its users to send and read
other users' messages called tweets.
Tweets are limited to 140 characters.
What is YouTube?
YouTube is a video-sharing website on which
users can upload, share, and view videos.
What is a blog?
• A blog (a blend of the term web log) is a type
of website or part of a website.
• Blogs have regular entries of commentary or
news, descriptions of events, or other material
such as graphics or video.
How are organizations using social media:
• Services | Support
• Advocacy | Education
• Community Building
Who’s using mobile?
• In Canada there are over 21 million mobile phone users.
• More than 6.1 trillion messages were sent in 2009.
• Within the next 5 years more people will access the internet on
their mobile phones than on a desktop/laptop.
• People that use Facebook on their mobile devices are twice as
active on Facebook than non-mobile users
• There are more than 200 million active users currently accessing
Facebook through their mobile devices.
Mobile Tools - Apps
What’s an App?
An App is software that you download
and install on your phone.
Why an App?
Apps allow you to easily connect with
social media sites, instead of logging via
your web browser.
How many Apps are there?
iPhone -250,000 apps
Blackberry - 10,000 apps
Many are free.
It’s about relationships.
It’s about sharing.
It’s about belonging.
A small group of thoughtful people could change the world.
Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.
~ Margaret Mead