Looking back at the preliminary task, what do I feel that I have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?
Observations of the conventions of continuity, language of film and grammar of the edit:• When drawing up the storyboard to plan out the exact technicality of each shot, I felt that I knew exactly the effect and type of shot used for editing and filming in general. For example, in discussion it was expected from each other to use the appropriate media terminology and to have a general understanding for each shot type wanted. Some of the shots used for the task include: match on action, shot reverse shot, wide shot, over the shoulder, eye-line match etc.
Shot description• E.G: Match on action description: the cut between two shots show that no time has passed between them which works as a time manipulation technique. From one shot, it cuts during an action to another camera angle but showing the action from the same point in time from the previous shot.
Storyboarding• The previous page of the planned storyboard was very helpful to gain some practice with labeling and filling in the text boxes together, covering mise-en-scene, dialogue, diegetic sound and special effects, non-diegetic sound and music, lighting, props and actors, shot numbers, shot types and individual timing for each frame.
Creative decisions• The storyline was a minor decision to the task, however it is a conversation between two friends over the prelim task and a drink.• When editing it was important to make the dialogue fit in when replacing and deleting unwanted footage. We had to do 3 re-runs of the filming due to confusion of dialogue, and therefore had to make the cuts as ordered as possible.
Original Shooting script• Felicity walks into shot, pan, extreme close up of hand on door• Match on action, felicity enters, pan over to her walking,• Cut to felicity, over the shoulder shot• Visa versa• This has been adapted, altered and edited vastly since this first plan of the task.
Time management• Organizing the crew, borrowing the necessary equipment from the Media Studies department and having enough free time as well as slotted Media lessons to fulfill the task requirements. Over week 1 we had accomplished filming and getting used to the camera and the basics of camera operation, for example the basic digital video camera functions and the modes of the DV cameras, and then the second week was dedicated to editing and producing the final prelim for 30 seconds long.
Mistakes to learn from• Having made errors altogether during the production process, the particular mistakes that I made included not charging the DV battery for the Canon camera in time for the second day use of filming and it was also quite difficult to steady the shot behind the camera whilst using the tripod as it was essential to keep the camera steady. Now I know properly that they are actually easy to deploy due to the adjustable legs and detachable shoes that fit underneath the camera. When I was filming the panned shot and counting down the 10 seconds before record, where the three final seconds are silent, I did not communicate this gesture properly and at that moment, failed to capture the perfect shot.
Organizing the crew• At times this production period was overlapped with a school trip to Europe, however the members travelling were easily contacted and when they came back, the equal dedication and editing participation made the piece as it is now and thankfully to Facebook and emailing, we accomplished to keep immediate contact with the team members.