Marketing and Recruiting Tools
to Grow Your Program
Academic Advisor II
Department of Biomedical Engineering
Texas A&M University
• History of recruitment in BMEN
• Departmental strategic plan
• Recruiting needs
– increase number of total students
– increase number of US citizens
– increase number of minority students
– increase quality of student scores, undergraduate
institution, and undergraduate GPA
Tools Created, Purchased, and Used
• Prospective student database
• Online webform
• Email templates
• Handwritten congratulatory notes
• GRE Search Service
• Campus visits
• Industry conferences
Prospective Student Database
• Students email/visit you requesting
information… do you ever follow-up?
• What information should you track?
• Why is this important?
– Personal career growth
– Additional departmental support
• Why is this helpful?
• What does it cost?
– Free options
– Paid options
• Who can help with implementation?
• Easy to create & quick to use
• Perfect for use by student workers
• How to create using Microsoft Office
• Using templates in other email systems
• Seriously? You expect me to write a
personalized note to everyone?!
• Why write a note to begin with?
• What should it say?
• Will this really have an impact on students?
GRE Search Service
• What is a Search Service?
– GRE Search Service
– Student Search Service (SAT)
• What types of criteria exist for filters?
• What will it take to justify the initial expense?
• What will it take to justify renewing usage in
• Individual visits vs. group visits
– Pros and cons
• What do students expect during a visit?
– Meeting with recruiter/advisor/admissions rep
– Meeting with faculty (graduate students)
– Meeting with current students
– Tour of departmental facilities
– Information about financial aid
• Who should cover travel expenses?
Industry & Academic Conferences
• How many conferences do you need to attend?
• How should the booth or table be set up?
– Layout of space
– Layout of table
– Using height to your advantage
• What departmental info should be provided?
• What giveaways should be purchased?
Collaboration is Key!
• Sure, it can be done alone. But is that really
necessary? Besides, who has the time?!
• Who else can lend a helping hand?
– Faculty advisors
– Department heads
– Marketing and IT teams
– Student workers
– Current students
• What other ideas have you found successful?
• What questions do you have?
Contact me with any questions… I’d love to help!