Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

The Horne Family's Story with God's Littlest Angels in Haiti


Published on

  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

The Horne Family's Story with God's Littlest Angels in Haiti

  1. 1. The 1%
  2. 2. The 1% 
  3. 3. The 1%  Our adoption story started back in 2007 when we gathered all of our paperwork together and then got it submitted to GLA by around December 2007. In October of 2008 we received our referral of our boy Steevenson. While waiting for our adoption to be complete we were happy every month that GLA gave us monthly updates of how Steevenson was doing. It always helped us get to the next month; knowing that we would have another update very soon so we could see how he had grown in the month. Even though it seemed like it could and should move much faster we figured that God had a plan and the adoption would be complete when he wanted it to be. In August of 2009 while waiting any day for our paperwork to move to the next stage we received a call from our social worker that Steevenson’s sister Roselaure was brought to the orphanage and we were asked if were interested in adopting her. Of course we were interested, we stopped our paperwork in were in the process of getting her added to our adoption when January 12, 2010 came.
  4. 4. The 1%  Ambur and I had just eaten dinner and then turned on the nightly news when we saw that there was an major earthquake in Haiti. Right away we were thinking the worst, so I went to the GLA website as quick as I could to see if there was any news; and that is where we read that all the kids at the orphanage were safe. That was the best news that we had that day and then our thoughts turned to the fact that our adoption probably was going to be delayed by a good year or more. The next day started 8 days of extreme stress, we were doing everything that we could do hoping that our kids could come home on humanitarian parole. I was working during this time and also trying to consume as much information as possible. I was trying to do as much as I could so Ambur wouldn’t have to worry about it too much. On Wednesday January 20, 2010 I woke up like a normal day to do what I had been doing for the past 7 days and ate my breakfast and just got sick in my stomach, so I stayed home. Ambur got home early that day and I had known that Dixie got the visas for the children, so I told Ambur that we should be safe and go and buy some supplies as a just in case. That night we received a call about 8 pm that we needed to be in Miami by the next night. We were running around booking flights and a hotel excited as can be.
  5. 5. The 1%  Thursday January 21st while we were waiting in the South Bend airport for our first flight to Atlanta we received a phone call from our adoption agency that Roselaure was critically ill. Our mood went from excited to oh no. When we got from Atlanta we found out she was still ill, but we didn’t know how bad. It was a long night and we had honestly not heard any news since the second phone call so we though she had gotten better. At around 7 or 8 AM the Bethany workers came rushing down to the terminal and told us that we both needed to get to the hospital for Roselaure, the problem is one of us had to be there to get Steevenson and we had already decided that I would be able to find the hospital if needed and drive there with Steevenson. Ambur rushed to the hospital with Johnny Carr and I waited for Steevenson, at one time I heard from Ambur that Roselaure would be fine and then after my phone was almost dead I was told I needed to call Ambur as soon as possible. I was told that she had bacterial meningitis and it didn’t look good. I went from overjoyed to having Steevenson in my arms and healthy to thoughts of what is going to happen to Roselaure. It honestly was hard to see everyone so happy and my thoughts we everywhere at those moments.
  6. 6. The 1% 
  7. 7. The 1%  When I got to the hospital and saw Roselaure my heart just dropped because as beautiful as she was I honestly thought at that point that she was not going to make it. I had to go back to our hotel with Steevenson and try and get him some sleep only to find out that the Mariott by the airport didn’t have a crib. So then on the phone to my mom to call the travel agent they know out of the Miami area. We were able to get a hotel right next to the hospital with a crib for Steevenson to sleep. That night I was on the phone and internet until late at night talking to family and letting them know what was going on. Since we had enough clothes for 2 days and we were thinking we were going to be in Miami for the whole month she was in the hospital our moms came down with some supplies and to help us out for a while. The day they came into town Monday the 25th Ambur was at the hospital in the morning and we were told that Roselaure was basically going to be a vegetable for the rest of her life and that we would not want to take her home. There would be no way we would be able to take care of her and give Steevenson the quality of life that he needed. Ambur actually walked back to the hotel in the pouring rain and was drenched when she got back. I would say that day was the worst day we both had, to be told that your child basically had a 99% chance that she was never going to be able to take care of herself she would not be like the normal go to play soccer child. That was so hard to tell our moms when I picked them up from the airport but one thing that did help is I was able to call the adoption agency to talk to them and let them know what was said and they were a big help.
  8. 8. The 1%  We had a long stressful month because we needed to come home with Steevenson and leave Roselaure down in Miami. Even though that was hard to do being so far away from her we wouldn’t have left her if we didn’t know that she was in such great hands. The staff and doctors at Baptist Children’s Hospital took such great care of Roselaure like she was their own child. After the month she turned out to be just fine and since has grown so much. One of the hard things to think about with the earthquake is while so many people lost their lives in Haiti it took the earthquake to save Roselaure’s life, if there was no earthquake Roselaure would not have made it out of Haiti in time to survive. Steevenson and Roselaure our the most loving brother and sister and have grown so much since we received them on January 22, 2010. Steevenson has been attending a preschool 2 days a week and has been learning a lot. Roselaure has beaten the odds and has been learning just as much as Steevenson.
  9. 9. The 1% 
  10. 10. A Miracle Sat On My Lap  Tom here – I’ve taken the liberty of reposting what I wrote a year and a half ago that tells part of RoseLaure’s story. Enjoy…..A Miracle Sat On My Lap Tonight….Okay, I can’t say that very often, but I can definitely say that tonight…..Let me tell the story……There’s a little girl who was born in Haiti about 9 months ago. On January 12,she was living at God’s Littlest Angels orphanage when the earthquake struck.And people prayed for the children.Shortly after that, she got sick. Quite sick. And people prayed.
  11. 11. A Miracle Sat On My Lap The following Tuesday, my wife got down to GLA and immediately got busy helpingtake care of the kids. At the same time, Dixie, Laurie, Stephanie, Melanie, well, everyonethere was working on the paperwork to try to get the kids home. And people prayed.Jump forward to Thursday of that week, and the entire GLA staff is getting the Americankids ready to go to the airport. And this little girl is really not doing very well. Dixietells Cheryl and Laurie and a few others that they need to take her down to a hospital inPort Au Prince to be seen by an American doctor to make sure she can handle the trip toMiami. As in, make sure she doesn’t die on the plane. Yeah, that sick. And there werepeople praying.The ride down to the hospital is quite an experience. Anyone who has been there knowsthat it can be a 1 to 2 hour traffic jam down to Port Au Prince. Laurie is driving andwhen they needed to “merge” into traffic, her friend Junior (someone who I have nevermet but want to) who was riding shotgun would get out, jump in front of traffic, bang onother cars and get them to stop and let them in.They made the drive in 31 minutes. No, that’s not a misprint. Obviously, there werepeople praying.
  12. 12. A Miracle Sat On My Lap Now jump forward to midnight that night. The plane lands in Miami. The first twopeople off the plane are my wife carrying this little girl. The Miami airport has anambulance waiting and they take the two of them immediately to the Baptist Children’sHospital in Miami. I talk to my wife about 6:30 Friday morning and after having beenup for 24 hours, she says, through tears, “The parents need to get here to thehospital, she’s not doing very well.” (I’m paraphrasing her). So, I get in touch withJohnny Carr from Bethany who is down in Miami at the airport trying to be of assistanceand he brings this girl’s new mother to the hospital. This little girl is very sick and themedical personnel believe at that point that she’s got bacterial meningitis. Now I’m not amedical person (though I’ve been married to one for almost 25 years) and I know that isnot a good thing to have.Friday night, this little girl ends up having emergency brain surgery. And there werepeople praying.On Monday, her parents are told that there is a 99% chance that she will end up in avegetative state and need to be institutionalized. But people kept praying.
  13. 13. A Miracle Sat On My Lap Like I said before, a miracle sat on my lap tonight.I’d like to introduce to you RoseLaure Horne. She’s 9 monthsold, crawls, can see, can hear, is learning to walk and her mothersaid that they took her for testing to see if she needed any sort ofdevelopmental therapy. She doesn’t.She’s developing completely on target for her age.Did I mention that there have been people praying?A miracle sat on my lap tonight and it made everythingworthwhile……
  14. 14. The 1%  “A Miracle Sat On My Lap” was originally posted at 2010/05/a-miracle-sat-on-my-lap- tonight/
  15. 15. If you’d like to talk about helping God’s Littlest Angels, please contactLaurie Bickel at 719-638-4348 or or Tom Vanderwellat (616) 884-8901 or Thank you!