Overview of Biometrics
• Various approaches of research on keystroke dynamics
• Advantages/Drawbacks of keystroke dynamics
• Research Available
What is Biometric Authentication?
• An automatic method that identifies user or verifies the
identity of living individuals.
• Types of Biometric
Physiological (Physical )
Behavioural (Behavioural )
• Biological/chemical based –
Iris, Retinal scanning
Hand shape geometry
blood vessel/vein pattern
• A reflection of an individual’s psychology
Hand written signatures
Mouse movement dynamics
Gait (way of walking)
• Keystroke dynamics, or typing dynamics, is the detailed
timing information that describes exactly when each key
was pressed and when it was released as a person is typing
at a computer keyboard.
• The recorded keystroke timing data is then processed
through a unique neural algorithm, which determines a
primary pattern for future comparison
Keystroke Verification Techniques
• Static verification (Fixed text mode)
Only based on password typing rhythm
Authentication only at login time
• Dynamic verification (free text mode)
pattern regardless of the typed text
A continuous or periodic monitoring (On-the-fly user
Some metrics for user verification
Characteristic sequences of keystrokes
Examination of characteristic errors
Frequency of error
Method of error correction
Pressure (Force of keystrokes)
Duration of a specific keystroke.
• Software Only method. (No Additional Hardware
except a Keyboard)
• Simple To Deploy and Use (username &
passwords) – Universally accepted
• Cost Effective
• No End-User Training
• It provides a simple natural way for increased
• Can be used over the internet
• User’s susceptibility to fatigue
• Dynamic change in typing patterns
• Injury, skill of the user
• Change of keyboard hardware.
• There are several home software and commercial software
products which claim to use keystroke dynamics to
authenticate a user :
BioTracker -is a biometric authentication software that
uses continuous authentication to verify the identity of a
AdmitOneSecurity - formerly Bio Password is a patented
commercial system which uses keystroke dynamics.
bioCheck- has a patented implementation which uses
keystroke dynamics for ubiquitous web-based login as well
as workstation authentication.
Further Research Available
• Researchers said that it will carry out more investigation on
the continuous authentication problem in our future work.
• From last few years researchers are also working on the
typing rhythm of an individuals.
• Working for the design of more robust authentication
It seems promising , still needs more efforts specially for
Iris scanners provide the lowest total error rate - on the
order of 10-6 in many cases
Even fingerprints provide an less error rate.
• As security mechanism is not visible, un authorized users
cant have idea of security measure.
• It is quickly emerging, low cost, non intrusive alternative
• To traditional biometric technology.
•  IEEE Keystroke dynamics as a biometric for
authentication, Fabian Monrose, Aviel D. Rubin, March 1999.
•  IEEE, Keystroke-Dynamics Authentication Against
Synthetic Forgeries Deian Stefan
•  Zeljka Zorz [Online] Avaliable: http://www.netsecurity.org/article.php?id=1610
•  wikipedia[Online] Avaliable :