Be the first to like this
Key achievements in 2007/08
• Launched our landmark publication Towards a High-
Bandwidth, Low-Carbon Future: Telecommunicationsbased
Opportunities to Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions.
The report quantifies the possible carbon and dollar
savings that could be achieved by businesses, households
and governments by using telecommunications networks
to avoid or reduce their carbon emissions.
• Achieved a rating of 87 per cent in the 2007 Corporate
Responsibility Index. This included outstanding results
in community management (100 per cent).
• Increased Telstra’s score from 36 per cent in 2007 to 70 per
cent in the 2008 Dow Jones Sustainability Index, a global
analysis of corporate responsibility leadership. This score
is well above the industry average of 53 per cent.
• Launched the Telstra Foundation’s Spotlight on Cyber
Safety program with a commitment of $3 million over
three years to help children develop the skills to be safe
when online and using mobile phones.
• Helped deliver the SCAM Watch Fraud Fortnight awareness
campaign to over 2.7 million BigPond® customers, 550,000
Trading Post users and 40,000 employees. The campaign is
an activity of the Australasian Consumer Fraud Taskforce,
of which Telstra is an industry partner.
• Invested $4.9 billion to continue the build out of the Next G™
wireless broadband network; continued deployment of the
Telstra Next IP™ network; creation of new and advanced
business support and operating support systems; and other
investments to transform the delivery of telecommunications
services in Australia.
• Contributed $300,000 to a new research facility for
specialised radio frequency research into the possible
health impacts from exposure to electromagnetic energy.
Telstra is collaborating with Swinburne University of
Technology on this initiative.
Planned actions for 2008/09
• Improve the relevance, transparency and accessibility
of Telstra’s corporate responsibility information on
• Conduct a review of Telstra’s human rights position
and practices to assess performance against
• Introduce feature sections on the nowwearetalking
website to provide a platform for public discussion
and debate about the environment and the National
• Reduce paper consumption by continuing to transform
our supply chain operations to effective, electronic
business, including online drafting and execution of