Session 5 Kevin Mitchell Devonport High School For Boys
Integrating ITT into a school’s
• All subject areas in DHSB are expected to
host trainee teachers.
• All teachers are expected to work with
• Professional standards have to be at the
core of any coaching/mentoring activities.
At DHSB we have...
• Experienced and well trained Subject
• Experienced and/or enthusiastic teachers
working with trainees.
• Inexperienced/’uncertain’ teachers
working with trainees.
• Teachers working with trainees but have
limited contact with them.
At DHSB I want to ensure…
• PSTs/Subject Mentors can place trainees
• Non mentor trained subject teachers can
confidently support trainees.
• Trainees have a consistent experience
across the school with the professional
standards at the core – impact on pupils.
• Teachers have their work with trainees
At a strategic level I want…
• Teachers to be familiar with the
• Teachers to engage in the coaching
• Teachers to engage in the PM process.
• Devonport High School for Boys,
• Coombeshead College, Newton Abbott.
• Brixham College, Torbay.
• Falmouth School, Falmouth.
• St Peters C of E School, Exeter
Aims of our PDS cluster…
• To provide CPD opportunities to ensure all
who work with trainees are consistent in
making judgements against the professional
• To develop coaching and mentoring skills for
all teachers working with trainees.
• To support & raise the status of all teachers
working with trainees and provide evidence
• Through questionnaires we identified a need
to support those teachers who were
unfamiliar/uncertain about their role in
working with trainee teachers.
• Reached agreement that a training event(s)
was the best option.
• Commissioned Andrea Parker (CPD
consultant UC St Mark & St John) to
develop and deliver a series of one day
• Target audience from link schools to
consist of PSTs/Mentors/those
experienced in mentoring trainees(PM).
• They return to their school & coach those
less experienced subject teachers to
mentor trainees (PM).
• Subject teachers mentor trainee (PM).
Aims of the training event…
• To consider current thinking related to
coaching & mentoring.
• To clarify the mentoring role within ITE.
• To review our understanding of the
• To develop the skills of a coach/mentor &
engaging in a ‘professional dialogue’
• Evidencing ITT for PM.
• Training events took place in four cluster
schools to which link schools sent their
• Evaluations of the training were
overwhelmingly positive – met their needs.
• CPD leaders in link schools encouraged to
allow attendees to apply their skills &
knowledge not just with trainees but
across the school.
• ITE has an important role to play in school
• PM seen as a crucial vehicle for sustaining
this work (indeed all professional
• Leadership - clarity and conviction of aims.
• Difficulty in releasing teachers – internal