Start with the End In Mind
Define your Company Objectives
• Increase Brand Awareness
• Reputation Management
• Lead Generation
• Customer Service
Define your Buyer Persona
• You offer information that is valuable TO THEM
• You will be able to position yourself as an expert
• Being a resource encourages repeat business
If you respect their attention with valuable content, you
will win their loyalty
Know your Audience
Knowing your audience will ultimately...
During the 2011 Uprising in Egypt,
KennethCole chose to post this tweet:
Don’t be tactless
• It shows poor planning
• Sharing carefully shows that you are considerate and a
positive member of the community
• It makes people cringe: not a response you want associated with
In order to avoid this kind of faux pas…
• Creating a plan helps your customers have a clear understanding of
your brand and your offerings
• It will save you time and money!!
• If your message is unified it will help you make the most of your
relationships with your customers
Typical Marketing Plan:
• Content Plan- What are we going to say/post/tweet/skywrite?
• Traditional Plan-What outbound mediums will we use?
Print, radio, TV
• Interactive Plan- Website? SEO? Mobile? Email?
• Social Plan-Who’s monitoring? Emergency Response?
Create a Plan
Unify your message with an
Become an Over-Sharer
In a good way
• Your posts are more valued
• Resourceful people are more trusted
• You become an expert without being a know-it-all
• Your customers will look forward to your marketing
Engagement Tip!! Offer challenges and get them to post their outcomes. The
Clutter Challenge- Encourage people to pick a closet, purge it and put it back
together… post pics online and share with friends.
Good Example – Anne Steppe, femfessional
• Brand your awesomeness!
• Increases customer or prospective customer engagement
• This also puts a human face on your brand
Engagement Tip: Actively monitor for any questions and/or comments
regarding your company, and make it a daily habit to respond to them.
Focus on being friendly, responsive, prompt, and most of all -- helpful!
Knowing how to respond to feedback is crucial… especially if it
Entertain and Delight your customers
Everyone LOVES that girl
DON’T Do This!
• Your brand gets associated with hostility
• You look unprofessional
• You will appear to be defensive or guilty
Takeaway: Quickly, politely and apologetically address the
concerns of those who are posting negative things and
ask them to contact you directly. Solve their
Pick your poison
You won’t be good at any of it,
if you try to do all of it.
• Business owners think they need to be everywhere-they don’t
• Marketing to everyone is the same as marketing to no one
• You’ll go broke
Takeaway: Find the medium or mediums that are best suited to your
Business OR mediums you are most comfortable with and
dominate those mediums.
Measure your Metrics
Know what is working
Know what is not
Prepare to make adjustments based on those
Your customers are a great indicator about how well
you are doing …..
Start with the End in Mind—Define your Objectives
Know your Audience-Knowing your best prospects = efficient and
cost effective marketing
Create your plan/Define your Brand!: Content plan, Traditional
media plan, SEO plan, social plan-All your marketing should
Pick your Poison-Find where your best customers are and
dominate those 1 or 2 mediums
Measure. Measure. Measure. Know what is working and what is
not-ROI is crucial
Prepare to pivot. Your metrics will give you an idea of where you’ve
been, so you can better prepare for where you’re going
Actionable Steps to Get Started Doing Today!!