Education as Social PracticeIn 1915, the founder of The New School, John Dewey, emphasized that education does not only take place in schools and that it ought to prepare learners for democratic citizenship.
1) The current educational system is not working.
2) In the midst of the worst >inancial crisis in living memory, whats necessary for positive institutional change is for administrators to provide incentives for innovation and experimentation of programming efforts.
Today, the 1970s models of DIY universities meet the technological opportunities of the Social Web. • Free University Movement (Berkeley, Berlin, etc) • Peer to Peer University • University of the People • Edu Factory • Khan Academy • Public School
The University of the People offers high quality, tuition free global online education in business administration and c o m p u t e r s c i e n c e . D e s i g n e d f o r e c o n o m i c a l l y underdeveloped countries, 50% of enrolled students are US American. tuition free
3) Museums as intermediary spaces for informal, participatory learning.
Dedicated spaces for participatory learning in museumsBlended Learning (intelligent use of digital media + face to face, digital media as hook-‐ user-‐generated content tagging, blogging, podcasting, game production)“Interest-‐driven learning,” “project-‐based learning and self-‐direction” (Ito et al, 2009)“The goal is not to provide a few classes to teach a few skills; the goal is for participants to learn to express themselves Jluently through digital media.” (Resnik, Rusk, and Cook 1998)
4) Learning is taking place in many places at any time.
Provide a continuous, learner-‐centered experience, connect experiences inside and out of the museumEmphasizing legitimacy of supplementing school, and university curriculum with museums programs (“learning from and with objects,” media production)
5) Social instigators rather than authoritative professionals should lead communities in the co-‐creation of museum experiences.
Teachers function as “learning sommeliers” or learning coaches.