Slides for the session "CC-Licensed Projects in the Asia & Pacific Region", in "Commons Crossroads: Defining the Roadmap for CC in Asia & the Pacific", Manila, Philippines, 2009-02. (http://www.cc-asiapacific.net/)
Some of the
Commons Crossroads: Defining the roadmap for CC in Asia & the Pacific
Creative Commons Taiwan
Except for quoted texts and images, this work is released under the Creative Commons “Attribution-No Derivative Works 2.5 Taiwan” License.
Several Kinds of Projects
• Community-based collaborative web
– Taiwan Baseball Wiki
– Wekey Wiki
• Services/products by companies
– PowerDirector 7
• Government agencies and programs
– TELDAP (Taiwan e-Learning & Digital Archives
Taiwan Baseball Wiki
• A collaborative Wiki documenting Taiwan baseball
history and current events.
• Started in April 2005 by Prof. Sinn-Cheng Lin at
• Currently maintained by 1,400+ users, and has
• Use the CC “BY-NC 3.0” license. Made a transition
from GNU FDL to CC “BY-NC” in April 2006.
(Want to include third-party photos that are
allowable only for non-commercial use.)
• A collaboratively maintained directory and
resource portal on free software packages.
• “We key in the information using Wiki.”
• What’s in the Wiki: What packages are
available, where to download, how to use, and
where to get help.
• Use the CC “BY-SA 2.5 Taiwan” license.
• A nice example of the mutual benefits — and
cross promotion — of free software and
• A social networking site for music makers
and music lovers.
• Allow users to upload tracks with their
own licensing conditions, including those
of the Creative Commons licenses.
• The site is operated and owned by
Neutron Innovation (BVI) Ltd, a concert
organizer and cross-promotion company.
“Creative commons photos and audio:
Don't limit yourself to your own photos
and sound clips.
Now you can directly import photos from
Flickr™ and audio from Freesound.
Creative Commons licenses allow you to
use other people's work for free as long
as you follow the wishes of the artist,
such as provide attribution or use it for
Text in the previous slide
is found on the
production description pages
in a company web site!
A video editing tool sold by CyberLink Corp.
TELDAP Union Catalog
• A union catalog of digitized content collections
from multiple institutions (museums, libraries,
• 3,600,000+ items, all with metadata.
• Citable and (permanently) linkable.
• The default license for each item was CC “BY-NC-
ND 2.0 Taiwan”.
• Now under reconsideration: Issues of rights
clearing, institution responsibility, and public