PAST SIMPLE VS PRESENT PERFECT
AND PAST PERFECT
PAST SIMPLE VS
1) The boy ________(spill) the water on the carpet.It
is still wet.
2) I _________(be) to Russia once ;however, I _____
(not/see) Kremlin Palace when I ______(be) there.
3) I _________(have) enough! I will quit my job
4) The weather ________(not/be) nice yesterday.
It_______(be) rainy and cold.
5) It ________(be) a busy and tiring week for all of
us, now we deserve a great weekend!
6) Melis _________(not/come) home early last night
because her car __________(break down) and she
________(have to/wait) for the car service to arrive.
7) Jill ____________(just/graduate) from college
and now she is looking for a suitable job.
8) __________ you _________(cook) your famous
chocolate cake? It smells wonderful here!
9) The friends __________(argue) the last time they
10) I __________(never/watch) The Lord of the
Rings series. I ___________(read) the books last
11) Cathy _____________(spend) all her life for her
family and she is proud of it.
12) A: When is the last train to London?
B: I am sorry! It ____________(already/leave).
13) The old couple _________(be) married for
almost thirty years.
14) My niece ___________(grow) into a beatiful
young lady since I last _________(see) her.
15) Irem ___________(just/eat) her dinner, now she
is waiting for her dessert to be served.
16) Charlie _____________(not/go) on a vacation for
17) I am still looking for my bag in the house. I
____________(not/find) it yet.
18) We __________(not/buy) a new tree since last
19) __________ Jack _______(take) a shower yet?
20) I ___________(not/play) tennis since I last
________ (hurt) my leg in the match.
21) Oh, where _______you ________(be)? We
________(not/hear) from you for a long time!
22) Tom __________(take) care of his mother when
she __________(get) seriously ill last week.
23) _______ you ever _______(do) bungee
jumping in your life?
24) Sam ________(do) bungee jumping last
PAST SIMPLE VS
1) Kristen _________(go) on her first date last night.
2) The film ____________(already/begin) by the time
the girls __________(buy) their tickets.
3) Bora is a millionaire now, but he _________(be) a
poor man before.
4) The tourists _______(pull) their cameras out of their
bags and __________(take) photos as soon as they
__________(see) the spectacular view.
5) First, the workers ___________(carry) the bricks.
Then they __________(build) the house.
6) Larry won’t go to that market again. The last time he
__________(shop) there, the cashier _________(be)
very rude to him.
7) I ___________(decide) to buy that jumper as soon
as I _______(see) it on display.
8) ___________(be) there a fight in your
neighbourhood last night?
9) At the opening ceremony , the mayor ___________
(make) an emotinal speech. Obviously he _________
(prepare) and ___________(work) on it beforehand.
10) Selin ___________(not/lose) any weight even after
she _________(give) birth.
11) First, the teacher ____________(give) a project on
Science .Then the students ___________(start) to
12) The town people ____________(not/ know) about
the old lady’s generosity until she __________(donate)
a large sum of money to the fund.
13) Jerry ____________(work) as a waiter for two
years before he ___________(find) this job.
14) When my boys ___________(be) children ,they
________(be) very naughty.
15) ________ you _______(lock) the doors before you
_________(leave) the house?
16) There __________(not/ be) an easy way of
communication until Graham Bell _________(invent)
17) Eskimos ___________(eat) raw meat because
they _________(believe) that it ________(make) them
18) The wind ________(blow) and the girl’s hat ______
19) After my dad __________(finish) reading his
newspaper ,he __________(drink) coffee.
20) The World War I ___________(already/ end) when
the World War II __________(start).
21) I __________(not/ see) such a beatiful beach
before I _________(go) to Miami last year.
PAST SIMPLE VS PRESENT
1) has spilled
2) has been to/ didn’t see / was
3) have had
4) wasn’t / was
5) has been
6) didn’ come /broke down / had to wait
7) has just graduated
8) have you cooked
9) argued / met
10) have never watched / read
11) has spent
12) has already left
13) have been
14) has grown / saw
15) has just eaten
16) hasn’t gone
17) haven’t found
18) haven’t bought
19) has Jack taken
20) haven’t played / hurt
21) have you been / haven’t heard
22) took / got
23) have you ever done
PAST SIMPLE VS PAST
2) had already begun/ bought
4) pulled /took/ had seen
5) had carried/ built
6) shopped/ was
7) decided / had seen
9) made / had prepared/ had
10) didn’t lose / had given
11) had given/ started
12) hadn’t known/ donated
13) had worked/ found
14) were /were
15) had you locked/ left
16) hadn’t been/ invented
17) ate/ believed / made
18) blew / flew
19) had finished / drank
20) had already ended / started
21) hadn’t seen / went