Why do I need a DDNS service?
1. IP cameras are accessed from the Internet at an IP address e.g.
2. If you have a Dynamic IP Address from your ISP, your IP address may change
frequently. Each time you would need a new address to access the camera
e.g. http://184.108.40.206:10000 . And, the addresses can be random
3. A DDNS service gives a ‘name’ to your IP address
your router and DDNS service communicate constantly to maintain a correct
mapping of your IPAddress and the ‘name’, so you can always access the
camera at http://john123.dyndns.org:10000
When do I need a DDNS service?
When you have a Dynamic-IP from your ISP.
Cable, DSL, Satellite ISP’s all provide only dynamic-IP addresses
• ISP’s provide a lease-time for your IP address. If your Internet has not been
used for the lease-time, they will assign a new IPAddress for you
Usually, Cable-Internet provides a lease-time of 1 week,
DSL or Satellite Internet may have lease times of hours or minutes
• DDNS service is useful for all Internet connections. However, if you have
Cable Internet – you may need DDNS
DSL or Satellite Internet – you definitely need DDNS
Mobile Internet – DDNS does not work well
DDNS service does not work well with current Mobile Internet where the
IPAddresses may have lease times of seconds
Step 1 - setting up DDNS service at www.dyndns.org
There are a number of free DDNS services. The example below is for
• Access Internet from the location where you want to setup the DDNS service
• Create an account at www.dyndns.org with a valid email
Respond to the email received to validate your account
• Login to the account, and click Account , then Add Host Services
• Enter Host Name – pick a name e.g. john123
select Domain Name from drop-down e.g. dyndns.org
service-type – Host with IP address
IP Address – Use auto detected IP address (remember #1 above)
• Add to Cart and save ( the Free option)
• Your address has been setup as e.g. john123.dyndns.org
Step 2 - setting up the DDNS service on your Router
Remember to do Step2 immediately following Step1 before your IP changes
• Login to Router, click on Dynamic DNS tab
• Check – Use Dynamic DNS
Service Provider - eg. www.dyndns.org
Host Name – e.g. john123.dyndns.org this should match the hostname at dyndns.org
Username – for your dyndns.org account
Password – for your dyndns.org account
• Now your IP Camera can be accessed at
Things to remember
Free services such as www.dyndns.org require that User periodically logs in to keep the account
If your initial IP was not setup correctly
• Find your current public IP by going to www.speakeasy.net/speedtest
• Login to www.dyndns.org
click Host Services
select your Host
enter your current IP address from #1
Use IP Cameras with TenM3 web service
Once the Panasonic IP Camera is setup, Use it with the TenM3 web service,
TenM3 provides always-on LIVE video Feeds from any site at a large scale.
VIEW, RECORD, SHARE online.
With only a camera needed at site, TenM3 is simple, DIY, on-demand, large-scale.
Setup LIVE Feeds from anywhere – Business and Home, Indoors and Outdoors.
TenM3 is used for
• Business Video Security
• Home Video Security
• creating an always-on LIVE presence online, …
• and more