Rural Schools <br />In <br />Douglas County, Missouri<br />Survey of 2011<br />By Richard Lorenz<br />For<br />Top of the ...
Douglas County Schools<br />The following is a list with photos of the schools still standing in Douglas County in 2011<br />
Beaver #16<br />
Beaver School #16,  Sec.14  T27  R17, West of Ava on hwy. 14 approximately 7.5 miles to CR 546, north on CR 546 1 mile on ...
Bertha #82<br />
 Bertha School #82,  Sec.21  T25  R13, East of Ava on hwy. 14 to hwy. 95 at Gentryville, south on hwy. 95 to CR 345, south...
Bethany #105<br />
Bethany School #105,   Sec.26  T25  R12, East of Ava on hwy.14 to intersection of hwy.181South, .75 mile to CR 350 and the...
Black Jack #104<br />
  Blackjack School #104,  Sec.29  T25  R12,  West of the Bethany School 3.5 miles on CR 350 or east of Ava on Hwy.14 to Hw...
Casto #25<br />
Casto School #25,  Sec.27  T27  R16, North of Ava on hwy. 5 to hwy. B, west and north on hwy. B 1.25 mile to CR 507, west ...
Champion #47<br />
  Champion School #47, Sec.17  T26  R13,  East of Ava on hwy.14 to hwy. C North, to hwy. WW and then 2.5 miles to end of p...
Coldspring #33<br />
 Cold Spring School #33,  Sec.1  T26  R14,  located at the little community of Coldspring north and east of Ava on hwy. 76...
East Flat Rock #41<br />
    East Flat Rock School #41,  Sec.23  T26  R11,  located 1.5 miles from the Howell County line. East of Ava on hwy.76 to...
East Victory #74<br />
 East Victory School #74, East of Ava on hwy.14 to hwy.W North, north 5 miles to CR 262 and then west 1.2 miles on the sou...
Fairview School<br />No  picture available<br />
    Fairview East School #46,  Sec. 14  T26  R13, located east of Ava about midway between hwy. 76 and hwy. 14 on hwy. 95 ...
Fielden School<br />
 Fielden School #51,  Sec.4  T25  R13,  East of Ava on hwy. 14 approximately 21 miles to CR 343, just west of Fox Creek br...
Freeport #89<br />
      Freeport School #89,  Sec.11  T25  R17,  West of Ava and south of Goodhope on hwy.76 to hwy.AJ, east 1.75 miles on t...
Fry #97<br />
            Fry School #97,  Sec.26  T25  R16,  South of Ava on hwy.5 to Squires, west and south on hwy.JJ 2.5 miles to CR...
Glendale #6<br />
Glendale School #6,  Sec.10  T27  R13,  East of Ava on hwy.76 to hwy 95 North, 6 miles to hwy.AE, then west 4.5 miles to e...
Goodhope #62<br />
 Goodhope School #62,  Sec,4  T25  R17,  West of Ava and south of Goodhope on hwy.76 to hwy,AJ East, .25 mile on the north...
Green Valley #110<br />
Green Valley School #110,  Sec.15  T25  R18,  West of Ava and south of Goodhope on hwy.76, 3 miles to hwyDD and then west ...
Hickory Flat #81<br />
 Hickory Flat #81,  Sec.11  T25  R13,  East of Ava on hwy.14, 1.5 miles past Gentryville to CR 247 North, .6 mile on the w...
Holt #38<br />
     Holt School #38,  Sec.26  T27  R12, East of Ava on hwy. 76 approximately 27 miles to hwy. EE, north on hwy. EE .5 mil...
Homestead #93<br />
Homestead School #93,  Sec.26  T25  R18,  Located in the extreme southwest corner of Douglas County. West of Ava and south...
Huffman #28<br />
Huffman School #28,  Sec.23  T27  R15, located north and east of Ava on Bryant Creek. North of Ava on hwy. 5 just past the...
Hunter #52<br />
      Hunter School #52,  Sec.8  T26  R15, located east of Ava. On the east side of Ava on hwy.14 to hwy. FF, east on hwy....
Lakey #78<br />
     Lakey School #78,  Sec.17  T26  R16, West of Ava on hwy.Y 1 mile to CR 501, south on CR 501 .25 mile to CR 500, west ...
Mint Springs #36<br />
      Mint Springs School #36,  Sec.25  T27  R13, East on hwy.76 to hwy.95 North, .8 mile to CR 144 West, 1.25 miles on th...
Mt. Side<br />
    Mt. Side School #13,  Sec. 2  T27  R16,  North of Ava on hwy. 5 to hwy. B, west and north on hwy. B 3.5 miles to CR 51...
Nubbin Ridge #<br />
 Nubbin Ridge School #??,  Sec.1  T26  R17, West of Ava 4.5 miles on hwy. Y at intersection of CR 521. Closed in 1956 and ...
Oak Forest #7<br />
 Oak Forrest School #7,  Sec.1  T27  R14, East and north of Ava , hwy. 76 east to hwy. C, north on hwy C 5.5 miles, Rock c...
Oak Grove #5<br />
Oak Grove School #5,  Sec.12  T27  R13, East of Ava on hwy.76 to hwy.95 North, 4 miles to CR 150 West, 1 mile on the west ...
Patterson #90<br />
Patterson School #90,  Sec.17  T25  R17, West of Ava and south of Goodhope on hwy.76 to hwy.DD West, 1.8 miles to CR 441, ...
Peavine #29<br />
 Peavine School #29,  Sec.34  T27  R15, East of Ava on hwy.76 approximately 3 miles east of junction 5 and 76 to CR 105 No...
Pleasant Green #22<br />
  Pleasant Green School #22,  Sec.26  T27  R17, West of Ava on hwy. 14 about 8 miles to CR 535, south on CR 535 1.5 miles ...
Pleasant Hill aka Louse Level #98<br />
Pleasant Hill School #98,  Sec.28  T25  R15, South of Ava on hwy. 5 11.4 miles to hwy N, east .3 mile to CR 316, south .5 ...
Pleasant Mound #79<br />
Pleasant Mound aka Pleasant Ridge School #79,  Sec.14  T25  R12, East of Ava on hwy.14 approximately 27 to 28 miles to hwy...
Rockhouse #27<br />
Rockhouse School #27,  Sec.29  T27  R15, East of Ava, hwy. 5 north to hwy.76, east on hwy 76 3.5 miles to Basher, then nor...
Sandy #94<br />
Sandy School #94,  Sec.28  T25  R17, West of Ava and South of Goodhope on hwy.76  about 1.2 miles south of the Plainview s...
Turkey Flat #102<br />
Turkey Flat School #102,  Sec.29  T25  R13, East of Ava on hwy. 14 to hwy. 95 at Gentryville, south on hwy. 95 to CR 345, ...
Vanzant #44<br />
Vanzant School #44,  Sec.6  T26  R12,  Located .25 mile east and .3 mile south of the community of Vanzant in eastern Doug...
Wagner #18<br />
Wagner School #18,  Sec.1  T27  R18, located in the extreme northwest corner of Douglas County. West on hwy.14 to hwy Z on...
West Victory #92<br />
West Victory School #92  Sec.12  T25  R18, West of Ava and south of Goodhope on hwy.76, .75 mile past the Roy store to CR ...
White Oak #61<br />
White Oak School #61,  Sec.25  T26  R18, West of Ava on hwy.76 to hwy.T at Goodhope, west on hwy.T 3.25 miles to CR 541 No...
White Oak Grove<br />No Picture<br />
 White Oak Grove School #80,  Sec.8  T25  R12, East of Ava on hwy. 14, 5.4 miles past Gentryville to CR 253 North, 1.4 mil...
We want to thank these people for their encouragement and help during the effort to locate schools in Douglas County. <br ...
This survey was made of the rural schools in Douglas County, Missouri, conducted in 2011. Where some structure was still o...
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

Douglas County Rural Schools, Missouri

3,202 views

Published on

Images of rural schools still standing in Douglas County, Missouri as per 2011 survey

Published in: Education
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
3,202
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
130
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
3
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Douglas County Rural Schools, Missouri

  1. 1. Rural Schools <br />In <br />Douglas County, Missouri<br />Survey of 2011<br />By Richard Lorenz<br />For<br />Top of the Ozarks R.C.&D<br />
  2. 2. Douglas County Schools<br />The following is a list with photos of the schools still standing in Douglas County in 2011<br />
  3. 3. Beaver #16<br />
  4. 4. Beaver School #16, Sec.14 T27 R17, West of Ava on hwy. 14 approximately 7.5 miles to CR 546, north on CR 546 1 mile on the west side. Note, stay to the left at the first intersection. Closed in 1956 it was used as a church and a community center for a number of years but is now vacant and in very poor condition.<br />
  5. 5. Bertha #82<br />
  6. 6. Bertha School #82, Sec.21 T25 R13, East of Ava on hwy. 14 to hwy. 95 at Gentryville, south on hwy. 95 to CR 345, south/west on CR 345 1.6 miles on the east side. Closed in 1956 and used as a private residence, it is in excellent condition. It is a little over a mile north of the Turkey Flat school on the same road.<br />
  7. 7. Bethany #105<br />
  8. 8. Bethany School #105, Sec.26 T25 R12, East of Ava on hwy.14 to intersection of hwy.181South, .75 mile to CR 350 and then west .4 mile on the south side. It was originally a two story wood frame building built by the Masons who donated the main floor for a school and kept the upper floor for their meetings. It closed in 1957, joining the Dora district in Ozark County, then reverting back to the Masons. They have not used it in recent years and has fallen in ruin.<br />
  9. 9. Black Jack #104<br />
  10. 10. Blackjack School #104, Sec.29 T25 R12, West of the Bethany School 3.5 miles on CR 350 or east of Ava on Hwy.14 to Hwy.AC, 1 mile south to CR 350 and then east .5 mile on the north side. It was closed in 1953 and is now used as a church. It is a rock building and is in beautiful original condition.<br />
  11. 11. Casto #25<br />
  12. 12. Casto School #25, Sec.27 T27 R16, North of Ava on hwy. 5 to hwy. B, west and north on hwy. B 1.25 mile to CR 507, west .2 mile on the north side. It was the first designer block building built in 1921 after the original building burned. The story is that a small cement block machine was bought and set up on the creek nearby and was later used for two more schools. 90 years later the blocks look good as new. It is on private property, the owner has replaced the roof, fixed the windows and uses it for a shop.<br />
  13. 13. Champion #47<br />
  14. 14. Champion School #47, Sec.17 T26 R13, East of Ava on hwy.14 to hwy. C North, to hwy. WW and then 2.5 miles to end of pavement on the south side behind the new Champion store. Closed in 1957, it is a frame building now used as a church and has been well maintained looking very original.<br />
  15. 15. Coldspring #33<br />
  16. 16. Cold Spring School #33, Sec.1 T26 R14, located at the little community of Coldspring north and east of Ava on hwy. 76 approximately 16 miles. Closed in 1951 it is now used as a church and has been built on to on the west side. It is in excellent condition.<br />
  17. 17. East Flat Rock #41<br />
  18. 18. East Flat Rock School #41, Sec.23 T26 R11, located 1.5 miles from the Howell County line. East of Ava on hwy.76 to hwy.181South, 3.75 miles to CR 286 and then east .65 mile to intersection on the south side. It was closed in 1957 and is presently used as a church. It is in fair condition but needs some serious TLC.<br />
  19. 19. East Victory #74<br />
  20. 20. East Victory School #74, East of Ava on hwy.14 to hwy.W North, north 5 miles to CR 262 and then west 1.2 miles on the south side. It was closed in 1957 and is now used as a church. It has been added on for more space on both ends and is in excellent condition<br />
  21. 21. Fairview School<br />No picture available<br />
  22. 22. Fairview East School #46, Sec. 14 T26 R13, located east of Ava about midway between hwy. 76 and hwy. 14 on hwy. 95 at Drury turn west and north on CR 245 almost 1.5 miles on the west side. Closed in 1958 was sold and moved<br />
  23. 23. Fielden School<br />
  24. 24. Fielden School #51, Sec.4 T25 R13, East of Ava on hwy. 14 approximately 21 miles to CR 343, just west of Fox Creek bridge, south on CR 343 .3 mile on the west side. Closed in 1956 it is now on private property and has not been used. The building is in fair and restorable condition.<br />
  25. 25. Freeport #89<br />
  26. 26. Freeport School #89, Sec.11 T25 R17, West of Ava and south of Goodhope on hwy.76 to hwy.AJ, east 1.75 miles on the north side. It was closed in 1950 becoming part of Plainview R-8. It was converted to a house but presently is not livable. This frame building would be a good candidate for restoration but not for long.<br />
  27. 27. Fry #97<br />
  28. 28. Fry School #97, Sec.26 T25 R16, South of Ava on hwy.5 to Squires, west and south on hwy.JJ 2.5 miles to CR 423, west .25 mile to CR 416 and then north and west 1 mile on the north side. It was one of the last country schools to close in 1958.<br />
  29. 29. Glendale #6<br />
  30. 30. Glendale School #6, Sec.10 T27 R13, East of Ava on hwy.76 to hwy 95 North, 6 miles to hwy.AE, then west 4.5 miles to end of pavement on the north side. This was one of the few country schools with a basement. It was closed in 1956 and is used as a church. It is in a little valley setting and is in very good condition.<br />
  31. 31. Goodhope #62<br />
  32. 32. Goodhope School #62, Sec,4 T25 R17, West of Ava and south of Goodhope on hwy.76 to hwy,AJ East, .25 mile on the north side. This was a two-room building that was moved from north and east of Goodhope shortly after it was closed in 1957 and is used as a church. It is in excellent condition.<br />
  33. 33. Green Valley #110<br />
  34. 34. Green Valley School #110, Sec.15 T25 R18, West of Ava and south of Goodhope on hwy.76, 3 miles to hwyDD and then west 5.5 miles off the end of pavement on the south side. It was closed in 1950 to become part of Plainview R-8. It is used as a church and in very good original condition.<br />
  35. 35. Hickory Flat #81<br />
  36. 36. Hickory Flat #81, Sec.11 T25 R13, East of Ava on hwy.14, 1.5 miles past Gentryville to CR 247 North, .6 mile on the west side. This building has been vacant since it closed in 1950 and is in poor condition. It is on private land but the owner would like to restore the building with some community help. This could be a real asset to the area.<br />
  37. 37. Holt #38<br />
  38. 38. Holt School #38, Sec.26 T27 R12, East of Ava on hwy. 76 approximately 27 miles to hwy. EE, north on hwy. EE .5 mile to CR 155, west on Cr 155 .6 miles on the north side. Closed in 1957 it was used as a 4-H center for the area until recently. The building belongs to the 4-H club and is in good condition.<br />
  39. 39. Homestead #93<br />
  40. 40. Homestead School #93, Sec.26 T25 R18, Located in the extreme southwest corner of Douglas County. West of Ava and south of Goodhope on hwy.76 to hwy.DD West, 3 miles to CR444, south 3 miles to end of road on the west side, on private property. Closed in 1950 the frame building was later converted to a house but is now vacant and in bad condition but could still be restored.<br />
  41. 41. Huffman #28<br />
  42. 42. Huffman School #28, Sec.23 T27 R15, located north and east of Ava on Bryant Creek. North of Ava on hwy. 5 just past the Bryant Creek bridge to CR 104, east on CR 104 3.75 miles on the east side of curve. Close in 1952, it is on private property, has been restored, bell in the tower, and used as a guest/ hunting and fishing cabin. A beautiful old building in a very beautiful spot.<br />
  43. 43. Hunter #52<br />
  44. 44. Hunter School #52, Sec.8 T26 R15, located east of Ava. On the east side of Ava on hwy.14 to hwy. FF, east on hwy. FF 1.8 miles to CR 206, north/east on CR 206 .6 mile on the north side. It was the third designer block school building built in Douglas County, opening in 1930 after the old building burned in 1928. It is in excellent condition, the present owner went to school there all eight years and is a graduate of the school. He is very proud to own the old school building.<br />
  45. 45. Lakey #78<br />
  46. 46. Lakey School #78, Sec.17 T26 R16, West of Ava on hwy.Y 1 mile to CR 501, south on CR 501 .25 mile to CR 500, west on CR 500 1 mile on the south side. Closed in 1948 it is now part of a private farmstead and used as a barn. It has been sided with corrugated galvanized steel and is well maintained.<br />
  47. 47. Mint Springs #36<br />
  48. 48. Mint Springs School #36, Sec.25 T27 R13, East on hwy.76 to hwy.95 North, .8 mile to CR 144 West, 1.25 miles on the south side. Closed in 1956, this frame building is on private property, it has been beautifully restored and is used as a home. The owner has kept the school house “look” on the exterior.<br />
  49. 49. Mt. Side<br />
  50. 50. Mt. Side School #13, Sec. 2 T27 R16, North of Ava on hwy. 5 to hwy. B, west and north on hwy. B 3.5 miles to CR 514, west on CR 514 1.3 miles to CR 507, north on CR 507 1.5 miles on the east side. Closed in 1956, it is now private property and used to store hay. The building is in near unrepairable condition.<br />
  51. 51. Nubbin Ridge #<br />
  52. 52. Nubbin Ridge School #??, Sec.1 T26 R17, West of Ava 4.5 miles on hwy. Y at intersection of CR 521. Closed in 1956 and used as a church until recently but now is private property. It is in excellent condition.<br />
  53. 53. Oak Forest #7<br />
  54. 54. Oak Forrest School #7, Sec.1 T27 R14, East and north of Ava , hwy. 76 east to hwy. C, north on hwy C 5.5 miles, Rock church on the south/west side. Closed in 1950, it has been used as a church since and has been maintained very well. The church also built an addition on the east side.<br />
  55. 55. Oak Grove #5<br />
  56. 56. Oak Grove School #5, Sec.12 T27 R13, East of Ava on hwy.76 to hwy.95 North, 4 miles to CR 150 West, 1 mile on the west side. No.5 was closed in 1956. This frame building has been used for storage and is in rough condition located on private property<br />
  57. 57. Patterson #90<br />
  58. 58. Patterson School #90, Sec.17 T25 R17, West of Ava and south of Goodhope on hwy.76 to hwy.DD West, 1.8 miles to CR 441, .6 mile on the east side. Closed in 1950 being incorporated into Plainview R-8 stood vacant and collapsed around 2008 to 2010 is now only a pile of rubble. The Patterson school and the Sandy school were originally built in 1880 to replace the little log, overcrowded Belltown school located in a draw behind the Horner Cemetary.<br />
  59. 59. Peavine #29<br />
  60. 60. Peavine School #29, Sec.34 T27 R15, East of Ava on hwy.76 approximately 3 miles east of junction 5 and 76 to CR 105 North, .75 mile on the west side. Closed in 1950 it is now on private property, later converted to a house, the frame building has been maintained and in good condition.<br />
  61. 61. Pleasant Green #22<br />
  62. 62. Pleasant Green School #22, Sec.26 T27 R17, West of Ava on hwy. 14 about 8 miles to CR 535, south on CR 535 1.5 miles to intersection, turn right and go another .5 mile on the east side. Closed in 1956, it is one of the three designer block buildings built in the county. It has been a residence but is used for storage and is in fair condition.<br />
  63. 63. Pleasant Hill aka Louse Level #98<br />
  64. 64. Pleasant Hill School #98, Sec.28 T25 R15, South of Ava on hwy. 5 11.4 miles to hwy N, east .3 mile to CR 316, south .5 mile to curve and it is on the south side. Closed in 1956, converted to a dwelling, the present owners have completely remodeled it into a beautiful home.<br />
  65. 65. Pleasant Mound #79<br />
  66. 66. Pleasant Mound aka Pleasant Ridge School #79, Sec.14 T25 R12, East of Ava on hwy.14 approximately 27 to 28 miles to hwy.W North, .75 mile on the east side next to the Pleasant Mound Cemetary. Built in 1903 and closed in 1957 the frame building has been well maintained by the present owner. This building may be available to be moved and restored to original condition and used for historical purposes.<br />
  67. 67. Rockhouse #27<br />
  68. 68. Rockhouse School #27, Sec.29 T27 R15, East of Ava, hwy. 5 north to hwy.76, east on hwy 76 3.5 miles to Basher, then north 1 mile on CR 103 on the west side. Closed in 1956 and now used as a private residence. It has been maintained very well and the Hot Lunch building is still standing.<br />
  69. 69. Sandy #94<br />
  70. 70. Sandy School #94, Sec.28 T25 R17, West of Ava and South of Goodhope on hwy.76 about 1.2 miles south of the Plainview school to CR 439 South (on the curve), .5 mile on the east side. This was one of the few rock buildings in Douglas County. Closed in 1950 and left to the elements it is in a sad state of affair. The walls are still standing but the roof is gone. It is on private property.<br />
  71. 71. Turkey Flat #102<br />
  72. 72. Turkey Flat School #102, Sec.29 T25 R13, East of Ava on hwy. 14 to hwy. 95 at Gentryville, south on hwy. 95 to CR 345, southwest on CR 345 3.75 miles on the west side. The school was closed 1958 and was converted to a home. The new owners are restoring it to use as a guest cabin and are maintaining the school house feeling.<br />
  73. 73. Vanzant #44<br />
  74. 74. Vanzant School #44, Sec.6 T26 R12, Located .25 mile east and .3 mile south of the community of Vanzant in eastern Douglas County on hwy. 95. It is the newest building only used several years closing in 1956 and is now a community center.<br />
  75. 75. Wagner #18<br />
  76. 76. Wagner School #18, Sec.1 T27 R18, located in the extreme northwest corner of Douglas County. West on hwy.14 to hwy Z on top of Dogwood Hill and .25 past the little community of Dogwood. North on hwy Z into Webster County .7 mile to hwy.TT, then south back into Douglas County .75 mile to CR 555 South, .3 mile on the east side. Closed in 1956 it is now a church that has been well maintained with the exterior looking very original.<br />
  77. 77. West Victory #92<br />
  78. 78. West Victory School #92 Sec.12 T25 R18, West of Ava and south of Goodhope on hwy.76, .75 mile past the Roy store to CR 432, west 3.5 miles to the end of the road on private property. Closed in 1950 it is now a pile of rubble.<br />
  79. 79. White Oak #61<br />
  80. 80. White Oak School #61, Sec.25 T26 R18, West of Ava on hwy.76 to hwy.T at Goodhope, west on hwy.T 3.25 miles to CR 541 North, 1.2 miles on the west side. Closed in 1956 it is now private property and has been converted to a house. It is in fair to good condition but needs some TLC.<br />
  81. 81. White Oak Grove<br />No Picture<br />
  82. 82. White Oak Grove School #80, Sec.8 T25 R12, East of Ava on hwy. 14, 5.4 miles past Gentryville to CR 253 North, 1.4 miles. Closed in 1957 it is on private property. The building is in an unstable condition but the owner is planning to shore up the building and restore it in the near future.<br />
  83. 83. We want to thank these people for their encouragement and help during the effort to locate schools in Douglas County. <br />Marilyn Alms and the Douglas County Historical Society<br />Dallas Chambers, Douglas County native and retired school teacher and farmer from the Good Hope and Roy Store community<br />Cliff Johnson, good friend and western Douglas County resident<br />Robert Upshaw of VanZant, Douglas County native and historian<br />Their help was invaluable.<br />
  84. 84. This survey was made of the rural schools in Douglas County, Missouri, conducted in 2011. Where some structure was still on the sites and owners gave permission, we have photos of the schools. When the schools were consolidated, they were sold. Some are homes, churches or community buildings if they are habitable. Many are on private property. When you are searching for school locations, please remember to respect private property and ownership. Ask for permission before entering private property.<br />Thank you,<br />Top of the Ozarks Resource Conservation and Development Council<br />810 S. Sam Houston Blvd, Houston, MO 65483<br />

×