Economy in Nazi
In the following presentation, we are going to talk about how Nazis dealt with the Economy in
Germany when they came to power.
First, how they recovered from the Depression and how they rearmed.
Later, the promises that the Nazis made to the workers.
Then, how they dealt with the farming communities.
After that, how they convinced the middle classes with their big businesses.
And in the end, how did the national community worked.
Economic recovery and rearmament
As soon as the Nazis came to power, they had to solve two main problems: Desperate
unemployment and the farm crisis.
● The worst of the Depression was over.
● German finances were organised (public works projects and conservation programmes).
Hitler`s best plans:
- Conscription, reduced unemployment
- Four-Year Plan
Bringing economic recovery, boosted Hitler´s performance and boosted his national pride.
Nazis and the workers
Hitler, promised to lower unemployment and he won the loyalty of industrial workers through:
- Strength Through Joy (KDF)
- Volkswagen Beetle. Symbol. In the end, they never received the car.
- Beauty of Labour movement.
What was the price of these advances?
- Workers lost their main political party, the SPD.
- Workers had to join the DAF(General Labour Front). This organisation kept strict control of
workers. How? They could not strike for better pay and conditions. They could not move on
The Nazis and the farming communities
The farmers were an important factor in the Nazis rise. They were in favor of Hitler whose ideas
were similar to the Kaiser`s. He introduced measures to help them:
- The Reich Food Estate, under Richard Darre:
It gave peasant farmers a guaranteed market, it set up central
boards to buy Agricultural produce and distribute their goods
to markets across Germany.
-The Reich Entailed Farm Law:
● Protection to peasant farms.
● Racial aim: "blood and soil "
● Not popular with everyone.
● Banks stopped lending money to them.
These images, are a result of
propaganda, Political methods to
attract people. They show how
Germany worked in farms and also
illustrate the different measures
used by Hitler to help farms.
Big business and the middle classes
● The communist threat to the middle classes business was eliminated by the Nazis.
● Despite Hitler's promises, the large department stores which were taking business away from
local shops were not closed.
● The middle classes started liking the Nazis.
● It was big businesses that really benefited from Nazis.
● The big companies no longer had to worry about troublesome trade unions and strikes.
This image show how the
middle class people look
like in Germany.
The “national community” - Volksgemeinschaft
The national community was the idea of eliminate the
division of social groups and making every German part of
a community and strengthen their nationality.
● Loyalty, respect and pride.
● How was the Community and society?
● Which was Women’s role ?
● Did it work?