Social SEO for
presented by Tony Zeoli
@tonyzeoli | @dswks
https://tonyzeoli.com | https://digitalstrategyworks.com
• Digital Strategist @dswks
• WordPress, SEO, Social Media
Integration, Content Marketing, Analytics)
• Founder and Co-Organizer of WordPress
• Two and a half decades working with web
• BS in Digital Communications and Media,
New York University
• WordPress.org Member since February 18,
2005 (11 years)
What it’s not?
• Social SEO not a “ranking signal” today (but could be in future).
Links from Facebook, Twitter, Google+ do not increase your
page rank or help you land higher in search.1
• Google views Twitter and Facebook posts as “pages” but has
low confidence in their “authorship,” which is very important to
• Google crawler is finite and cannot crawl social “pages” (posts,
tweets) as they change over time. Even Google has a limit.
Cannot index trillions of posts, so takes representative sample.
• Sites with “high social engagement” are usually great sites
anyway and generate high quality back links organically.
So what is it?
• Ensuring the social posts you
create are optimized.
• Image, Video
• Ultimately, everything we do is about branding.
• Crafting the right message for our intended audience is
critically important and we don’t want to leave it to chance
that our audience sees something we don’t want shared.
• Past: Brands and Publishers did not have control over
what was being shared in social news feeds.
• Today: OpenGraph provides the basis for crafting the
intended message - not the message social news feeds
decide you might want to see.
Select the Share Image
• If don’t set OG for Image, the sharer then has control over which image is shared.
• The image you want shared might not be first loaded in page and can only be
selected by navigating the images (as shown below).
• Facebook may pull the available Site Title and Description, but you may want to
retain the Title and Description for SEO and change it for Social Meta.
Managing Your Open Graph
• All in One SEO Pack (Free and Pro)
• Social Meta Manager allows you to easily manage your on
site Social Meta for Open Graph
• Set home page image from media library or set to call the
featured image, first image in page, and more.
• Set Post, Page, Custom Post Type, Taxonomy Social
Meta, so when a page or post is shared, the correct Title,
Description, Image, and Video is in the social share.
Google Knowledge Graph
• Adds link, org/person, and name to “knowledge graph card.”
• Find your Facebook Admin ID
• Is you personal Facebook page ID
• Generate a Facebook App ID for a Website
• Must have a Facebook Developer Account
Facebook and Twitter Cache
• Both Facebook and Twitter cache content. Each service
has tool to dump cache and clear old content.
• Facebook Debug Sharing Tool
• Clears Facebook cache of last known images, title,
• Twitter Card Validator
• Google, Facebook, Yelp, Trip Advisor, and others fighting for
reviews of your business.
• Customers will:
• publish a review with services they know
• may not realize they should post review on your website
• We lose the SEO value of our reviews by having them published
on other sites
• The trade-off is you have reviews everywhere, but then reviews
are disparate and have to mange reviews in multiple places
• A customer won’t see a review of your business on
Facebook, unless they are driven to your Facebook page.
• A customer will see a review of your business in a Google
search if your business has a “knowledge graph card.”
• Google My Business - https://www.google.com/business/
• Google will pull schema.org microdata for star reviews and
place it under your search result.
• Google will display star reviews for a landing page, not a
1. Does Social Media Affect SEO? Matt Cutts
Answers by Traphagen, Mark, 7 June 2016, online,