Content, Curation and SEO –
then you can get beer.
CEO & Founder, Wright IMC
• Who is this guy? (no slides, I just talk about myself a
• How do people search – then and now (I don’t know
• Earned Media – One boring slide
• Simple SEO 101 (don’t fall asleep, I’m watching!)
• What is content marketing (it’s SHINY!)
• Curation – Not your grandpa’s plagairism
• Social listening hearing aids
• Results. Give. Knowledge…Market Orienteering for
Content Creation (Huh?)
• Random Tips are appreciated
How we think people search.
Go to my
How people actually search
Go to search
Type in Keyword Click on Natural
Go to Site A
Click on link on Site
Go to unrelated site Go have a Coke
Go back to
Type in Related
Click on natural
Click on link to
Look at Porn for
Go back to the
and type in more
Click on Paid
How did people Search?
“As seen in the heatmap (left), fixations
are studded around the top 5 results
and the majority of clicks are upon the
top 3 results (discounting the sponsored
link). The sponsored link was actually
not well attended to due to the fact that
searchers are now familiar with
advertiser placement within Google.
The 2008 heatmap supports the recent
trend observed by Cornell University
(Their study found that the top 3 Google
results get 79% of all clicks) and by AOL
(Findings were that 63% of clicks were
concentrated upon the top three search
results).” – Think Eyetracking Study,
How do people search now?
SEOs, Content Marketers and
Socialistas specialize in “EARNED
• Earned media (or free media) refers to favorable
publicity gained through promotional efforts other than
advertising, as opposed to paid media, which refers to
publicity gained through advertising. Earned media
often refers specifically to publicity gained through
editorial influence, whereas social media refers to
publicity gained through grassroots action, particularly
on the Internet. The media may include any mass
media outlets, such as newspaper, television, radio,
and the Internet, and may include a variety of formats,
such as news articles or shows, letters to the editor,
editorials, and polls on television and the Internet.
SEO 101 –
The four C’s of Success
• Code: HTML, Content Management Systems,
W3C Compliance, Java Scripts, oh my!
• Content: Words mean things. Without words, you
• Connections: Links and Likes is the “whuffie” of
Search. The quality of your friends tells Google a
lot about you in general.
• Communications – Social gets links. Content on
other properties gets links. Good content gets
Shiny, happy Content Marketing
• Content marketing is not new
• Content marketing is not magic
• Content marketing is simply writing good
• Content marketing is also publishing,
syndicating, marketing, influencing, and
• Content marketing has been and always
will be here – under any name
Curation – It’s not stealing if it’s
• Understand Fair Use – usually ok to
include the first paragraph and a link
• Link to what you love – and let the love
• Don’t just curate – comment. Have a
freakin opinion (SEE OUR WHITE
• Can’t be first? Be best.
Results. Give. Knowledge.
• Search is the compass for your market
• Both paid and natural search analytics
provide maps for Social Media Content
• Keywords are comforting…Wordsmithing
• Google Analytics works great for mining
valuable content creation data.
Social Listening – What’d you say
• Social listening tools can be expensive
• Here are some free ones
– Google Analytics
– Google Suggest
– Google Insights
– Google Keyword Tool
– Twitter Search
– Facebook Search
– Google Alerts
– Hell – just Google “Free Social Listening tools”
– Ok – on 3 everyone shout their favorite one
What do I do with this information?
• Answer consumer questions
• Appeal to audience interests
• Use the six weapons of mass influence
– Reciprocity, Commitment and Consistency,
Social Proof, Authority, Liking and Scarcity
• Drive your audience to where you want
them and define the action you want them
The Link Economy
• Link building is a <$1,000,000,000 industry
• Bought links are against Google’s Terms of
• Social Media naturally generates links
– Let’s talk Nofollow for a second…forgive me while
I put my geek hat on
• Integrated marketing teams with creative
ideas are more successful that stand-alone
SEOs or SMMs.
• Knowem.com..Use it.
• Google Analytics. Worship it.
• When writing headlines, split them up. Social on one side, SEO on
• Bullet points drive keywords home
• Overoptimization is real. Don’t do it.
• Always get the link. Remember, the links affect the ranking
• Understand that Social drives Search, rarely does search drive
• ANSWER PEOPLE’S QUESTIONS
• Create a syndication strategy for your niche
• Buy influencers a beer
• If you can’t write – find someone who can
• Search = Direct Response, Social = Branding, Content = Authority
and Syndication You need the all.
How can I help You?
• Follow me on twitter @tonynwright
• Email me at email@example.com
• Call me at 214.529.0703
• Visit our company website at