Navy College Office, Naval Station Norfolk
Navy College Update
• NAVADMIN 190/14 – Education Policy Update
• Tips for TA Success
• DOD MOU
• Postsecondary Education Complaint System
• COs/OICs can grant waivers allowing Sailors to use Navy
TA during their first year at the first permanent duty station
• Must have been counseled by a Navy College Office/Virtual
Education Center Counselor
• Must have a TA approved degree plan
• Must have received command’s leadership triad approval
• Minimum grade level has changed
• Undergraduate students must reimburse the Navy for grades of less
than a C.
• Graduate students must reimburse the Navy for grades less that a
• TA can no longer be used to fund non-tuition fees.
• TA reimbursement policy effective for all courses that start
after 01 October. All other changes effective on 01 October.
Tips for TA Success
• Submit webTA applications early (at least 30 days prior to class start).
• Follow-up with your command approving official.
• Check your MY Education account to ensure your record is up to date with all TA
• Counseled by Navy College Office/Virtual Education Center
• WebTA Training is current (within 24 months)
• Education/Degree Plan on file
• Courses requested are listed on Education/Degree Plan
• Served at first permanent duty station for at least 12 months, or see CCC/ESO to
discuss eligibility for a CO-granted waiver.
• All additional NAVADMIN requirements are fulfilled.
• Ensure TA request has been authorized/funded before beginning the course.
• Per DOD Instruction 1322.25 – Voluntary Education Program, schools must sign
a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with DOD to be eligible to receive any
DOD Tuition Assistance funds.
• We are on the third version of the DOD MOU. This version required that schools
be VA approved and Title IV compliant.
• Schools had until 05 Sep 2014 to sign the new DOD MOU
• Those that did not sign the agreement were removed from the TA System
• Visit http://www.dodmou.com to find a list of authorized schools.
• Additional schools will be added to the DOD MOU website as their signed MOUs
are received and as their information is validated.
• Updates flow periodically to the webTA system.
• Created as a result of Executive Order 13607 (signed 27 Apr 2012)
• Centralized complaint system available to everyone regardless of the funding
• To locate the complaint system, visit - http://www.militaryonesource.mil/voluntary-education?
• What can be reported
• Recruiting & marketing practices
• Financial issues
• Quality of Education
• Refund or collections issues
• Visitors will be asked identify a source of funding so that the complaint is routed
to the correct party for review.
• Servicing Navy College Offices
• Naval Station Norfolk – 757-444-7453/7453 or
• JEB Little Creek – 757-462-8279 or
• Virtual Education Center
• 877-838-1659 or DSN 492-5095 or VEC@navy.mil
• My contact information
•757-445-2240 or email@example.com