An Introduction to Social Media
For Business Link
• How can Social Media help?
• What is Social Media?
• How big is Social Media?
• Who is using it?
• How are businesses using it?
• What is Social Media Marketing?
• Does it make any money?
• Getting started
How can Social Media help?
• Engagement: Increase loyalty, foster word of
• Research: Identify trends/niches, consultation
• Marketing: Promote business, brand awareness
• SEO: link building, content factors
• PR: Manage reputation, get news out
• Management: Collaboration, knowledge sharing
• Sales: Gain new business, new contact routes
What is Social Media?
• How people discover, read and share news,
information and content.
• Mixture of sociology and technology
• Movement from monologues (one to many)
towards dialogues (many to many).
• Shift from content readers into publishers.
• User Generated Content (UGC)
• Consumer Generated Media (CGM)
Adapted from Wikipedia entry for ‘Social Media’
What is Social Media? – In Context
• Web 2.0 follows on from Web 1.0
• Generation Y
• Faster broadband
• Computing power
• Driving social change
Social Media Platforms
• Blogs, Micro-Blogs and V-Logs
• Social Networks
• Social Bookmarking
• File Sharing Sites
• Podcasting / Video Podcasting
• Wiki Sites
• Instant Messaging
• Virtual Worlds
How big is Social Media?
• Facebook has 200m+ active users
• More than 100m FB users log on every day
• 4m+ FB users become fans of Pages every day
• 77% of active internet users read blogs
• 133m+ blogs indexed by Technorati
• Time spent on Twitter has soared 3,702% YoY
• LinkedIn gains 1 new user per second
• Executives from all Fortune 500 companies on LinkedIn
• 10 hours of video uploaded to YouTube every minute
Who is using it? (Some Demographics)
• Highest indexing age groups on Facebook are
those 25-34 (27%) and 35-49 (23%)
• Fastest growing user group on Facebook is 35+
• The average age of a Twitter user is 31
• The average age of a MySpace user is 27
• The average age of a LinkedIn user is 41
• The average earnings of a LinkedIn user is $109k
• 46% of LinkedIn users are Decision Makers
• ABC1s are more likely to have a Facebook profile
• C2DEs are more likely to have MySpace profile
Who is using it? (User Types)
• Small to Medium Enterprises
• Global Corporations
• Media Companies
• Social Enterprises
• Education Providers
• And countless others
How are businesses using it? (Purpose)
How are businesses using it? (Platforms)
What is Social Media Marketing?
Social Media Marketing (SMM)
is an engagement with online communities
to generate exposure, opportunity and
Does it make any money?
Some interesting case studies:
• Goldcorp Inc
• “Goldcorp Challenge” launched March 2000
• Prize of $575,000 on offer
• Published 400mb of information
• Over 1,000 people from more than 50 countries took
• Identified 110 targets (50% previously unidentified)
• Over 80% of targets yielded substantial quantities of
• Took company from underperforming $100m to $9bn
• Over 600,000 Twitter followers
• Used to message out coupons, clearance events and
new arrival information to those looking for Dell
technology at a discounted price
• Over $3m sales attributed to Twitter
($2m Dell outlet sales / over $1m in other Dell.com
• Utilises number of services
• Defined strategy
• 500 % increase in new business enquiries over social
media this year
• 75 % of all enquiries now through SM
• Increased purchase order value
• Extended reach
Getting started - Planning
Customisation Media Marketing
Getting started - Research
• Twitter Search
• Google Search options
• Alert Systems
• Blogs & Technorati
Getting started - Services
• Blog with RSS
• File Sharing sites
• Google Profiles
Getting started - Tips
• Find your existing connections first
• Ensure alerts and analytics are working
• Listen to conversations first
• Engage in conversations / Engage with complaints
• Test, Monitor, Review and Tweak approaches
• Don’t try to ‘sell’
• ‘Content is king’
• Be ethical in your actions / respect etiquette
• Keep it relevant to your audience
• Be clear in your objectives
• Don’t overstretch