- Improve loyalty
- Improve engagement
- Improve hours spent within the app
- The overall experience must be FUN
Tools: PBL Framework, Social Mechanics
- Create the hype
- Reach your target
- Optimize your CPC, CPM, CPL & CPA
- Increase the number of downloads
- Keep your target up to date with your product
- Turn Strangers into Fans, Fans into Players, Players into Promoters
ADV Tools: Facebook Ads, Instagram, Newsletter
User Dashboard – In order to increase loyalty and engagement among your players,
your players must experience the sense of improvement during their natural user
GAMIFICATION TOOLS - DASHBOARD
GAMIFICATION TOOLS - POINTS
Visual Stats & Points – You can’t improve what you can’t track.
- Tracking stats and displaying them visually, together with the related points,
gives the player a sense of progression. This sense of progression will push the
players to play more with your app. It will keep them from dropping when, by
looking back at all the progresses, they will give value to the time spent with
your product and will thus be more loyal and engaged.
Quests & Badges – Tell them what to do, and reward them properly for doing it.
- Your app is just a tool, you have to tell them how to use this tool. It is your
world, and you have to tell them how to have fun within your world. You have
to tell them what they want to do and how to do it by giving them a goal or a
task. This is what quests are all about.
- Once they have completed a task, reward them with a badge, they’ll love it!
GAMIFICATION TOOLS – QUESTS & BADGES
Leaderboards – It is more Fun if you do it with your
- Everyone likes to be the first every now
and then, and it must not be just a dream
for your players, they need to feel and to
know they can do it to the top with the
right effort. Allow your players to compare
their journey with that of their friends
using local and custom leaderboards.
GAMIFICATION TOOLS – LEADERBOARDS
Social Mechanics – Let them share it!
- People like to share their experiences with
their friends. Facebook is the easiest tool to
use and it’s also the most popular.
Implement it for signing up and allow your
players to share their achievements and
progression and to compare them with those
of their friends.
GAMIFICATION TOOLS – SOCIAL MECHANICS
Media Coverage – People must read about your product.
- Creating the hype is probably the most important task of the whole marketing
thing. The sooner your target reads about your product, the better! You must
charm their mind and capture their attention before they even realize you are
talking about a product.
- To do that, you need to get in touch with journalists and bloggers, pitch your
project to them and let them try it; if they will like it, their will suppose their
audience will like it too.
Testimonials & Opinion Leaders – Look for those able to influence their followers.
- If you are working on an app for cars fans and a famous pilot will say it is
awesome, quite definitely your app will be downloaded by all the cars fans of
- It might sounds impossible to reach such an opinion leader, but it’s actually
easier than you could expect, if you know how to do it.
MARKETING - CREATING THE HYPE
Facebook Ads - Experts agree that Facebook Ads is 20 times more efficient than Google
Adwords. These days it is the best tool to use if you want to reach you target.
- CPC, CPM, CPL & CPA - When you setup your Facebook campaign budget, you
need to choose between two-four pricing options. CPA is only available if you
choose “Website Conversions” as your “Ad result” in the Ad creator on
Facebook.com. CPL is only available if you choose “Page Likes” as your “Ad
- CPC (cost-per-click) - If you use cost-per-click pricing, you only pay when
someone clicks on your Facebook Ad.
- CPM (cost-per-mille) - With cost-per-impression you pay when Facebook
shows your ad 1000 times. (Impressions are the number of times your ad
is shown to a user on Facebook).
- CPA (cost-per-action) - This allows you to track and optimize how much
you spend to get someone to take an action (or convert) on your website
after clicking your ad.
- CPL (cost-per-like) - This allows you to track and optimize how much you
spend to get someone to “Like” your Facebook Page after clicking your ad.
MARKETING - REACH YOUR TARGET
The Power of Facebook – Facebook is not only used to target your audience with
advertisings but it is also used to let your target know about your product, to improve
your Brand Awareness and Customers Loyalty.
- Your Brand’s Page - Turn Strangers into Fans, Fans into Players, Players into
- Customer care is crucial! Facebook pages are a very powerful tool and
can, if managed properly, be a valid alternative to your website for your
fans. They will look at your page and interact with your Brand on a daily
basis. You’ll be able to control their behaviour within your world and
move them to your website or app whenever you want them to do it!
MARKETING - REACH YOUR TARGET
Keep your target up to date – Interacting with your Fans is important as well as
showing them how cool is to be part of your world.
- Instagram – This is how we do it!
- People like to dream and to be away from their reality. With Instagram
you can do just that. It is becoming more and more popular as a tool for
branding and marketing. Furthermore, cars pictures are awesome, YOU
SHOULD USE IT!
- Newsletter – In case they forgot about you
- Newsletters are a classical marketing tool. They are still very popular and
a well designed opt-in page is crucial when you have to gather your
audience before your product launch.
MARKETING - REACH YOUR TARGET
Hybrid – Play it safe!
- Best is to start with a mix between the classical in-app Purchase and Google
Adwords impression-based. The monetization strategy would then be
designed after a couple of months of data and some more forecasting based
on the actual app performances.
Metrics & A-B Testing – You can’t develop a successful app without them
- Metrics can be used to track all every single action of your users within your
app. You could then analize your users’ behaviours and optimize their user
journey and experience. Keep in mind that Metrics will tell you if there’s a
problem, but won’t tell you how to solve it, you will need designers for that.
- A-B Testing is very good when you are not sure about a solution, and you then
want to implement two or more of them in order to check which one delivers
EXTRA TOOLS & BEST PRACTICES
Entrepreneur, Designer, Gamification Guru, Crowdfunding consultant, Marketing
and Communication Expert, Founder of OnionSquire and @GearedNomad
Be sure to get in touch with me if you want to talk about your business.
TWITTER - MAIL
This template is provided by Marco Tonetti, all rights reserved.