BPMN 2.0 Patterns...
… some real life examples
dr. Tomislav Rozman
BPMN 2.0 patterns slideshow by Tomislav Rozman is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
● Process patterns were prepared for or in between the workshops with
my clients and partners. Examples are partial mappings of real
● You are free to reuse it according to Creative Commons Attribution 4.0
● Process models were designed using BPMN.IO tool, a derivate of
● If you need .bpmn versions of the process models, please write to me:
firstname.lastname@example.org. You can open them in: BPMN.io,
Camunda, Yaoquiang, Bonita BPM and possibly other tools.
1. Multiple process start
Problem: how to react if company receives the invoice in different
2. Reusable process
Problem: Design a reusable process of document scanning
3. Compensation activity
Problem: If a person makes a mistake within a process, how to undo?
4. Manual activity
Problem: Manual process of handling incoming mail needs
standardization. Let’s design AS-IS process:
5. Escalation or error
Problem: Employee needs to forward the task to another (upper level)
6. To interrupt or no?
Problem: Some events interrupt the meeting, some not. How to design
7. Automating activities
Problem: When designing or optimizing TO-BE process, we want to
show which activities will be handled by BPM system:
8. Another way of interrupting the process
Problem: Normal (sub)process can be interrupted by event-process
9. The difference between signal and message
Problem: How to react to broadcasted or direct message, which
triggers the process?
10. BPM without programming? No way.
Problem: How to model the code processing on BPM system?
11. Communication between IS
Problem: Our IS must communicate with external IS. How should we
model this scenario?
Problem: If anything can go wrong, it will. How to prepare to expected
problems within the process?
13. Complicated decisions
and the process
Can we simplify
13. Decision table for the previous slide
On the previous slide, we have simplified complex decisions using
Business Rule task. Here is the accompanying decision table (using
14. Top level modeling
Problem: I am used to
EPC diagramming and I
think I won’t be able to
Answer: You can use
BPMN in EPC-ish way:
Last but not least
Like it, share it, comment it!
And of course, don’t forget to reuse (with contribution) it in your projects.
If you want to learn how to manage business processes, you can attend our
live or on-line learning courses:
○ ECQA Certified Business Process Manager - Foundation and Advanced level
○ ECQA Certified Business Process Manager in Higher Education Institutions
Website: BICERO ltd.
LinkedIn: Tomislav Rozman 18